Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    This would be very nice but I'll believe it when I see it. Many of pogeypetey's posts have been shall we say "accuracy challenged" in the past some so I'm taking this with a grain of salt. And, yes, he's the one that swore that Sprint Premier customers would be able to purchase the Pre on the Friday before release.
    How is it that I am accuracy challenged? I provided the exact way they would take care of their customers and they changed their mind on a full Premier customer party. Sounds like Sprint was accuracy challenged.

Either way, I heard from the same people last week that a video camera would be forthcoming, but I waiting until I had confirmation from Palm before posting here. Trying to cover my bases.

Besides, is Video capability that big of a stretch?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    Pogeypete, weren't you the one that got our hopes up with prior to launch saying Premier customers would get an email allowing them to buy early lol?

Oh well....I'm still going to believe you on this one because I want to see video on this camera so badly
    It wasn't that I was wrong, it was just that Sprint changed their mind. Though it sounds like you still got your Pre, so no harm no foul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    You forgot about the virtual landscape keyboard.
    and more memory for all that video
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazntino View Post
    Virtual landscape keyboard on a Palm Pre? I'd rather have them develop a new phone design if not different similar in size but tweek the slide out keyboard.

As the keyboard slides out vertically; afterwards an option to rotate or 'swing' the vertical keyboard to the left as it ends up vertical towards the now 'landscaped positioned screen of the phone.' I'm very good at my descriptions, but I hope this is clear enough.
    Yeah. Developing a whole new phone would really make everybody happy that would like the virtual keyboard in landscape mode since they just spent $200 on the current Pre, instead of just incorporating some programming to implement it on the current hardware.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have to say taking video is not that impressive to me on the iphone since just about every phone out there can do that, what impressed me was the ability to do light video editing on the phone itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Via some fairly high placed people at Sprint and with confirmation of the rumors from the Palm rep I spoke with yesterday, I bring you video camera capability
    While I'm happy to get this information I can't help but find the sources to be a bit vague. Did you wish to validate these claims by clarifying your relationship with the Sprint and Plam folks or explain how it was you came by this information? Additionally you could elaborate on what you meant by "fairly high," such as VP, CEO, ect.

There is enough random conjecture out there already.
    Awesome. Good to hear. July can't go by fast enough...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    While I'm happy to get this information I can't help but find the sources to be a bit vague. Did you wish to validate these claims by clarifying your relationship with the Sprint and Plam folks or explain how it was you came by this information? Additionally you could elaborate on what you meant by "fairly high," such as VP, CEO, ect.

There is enough random conjecture out there already.
    I understand. Yesterday I was at the Layton, ut Sprint store and met with the Palm guru. I also know a regional vp for sprint.
    I understand. Yesterday I was at the Layton, ut Sprint store and met with the Palm guru. I also know a regional vp for sprint.
    But Sprint is not the one that is developing for the Pre... If you said VP for Palm, then it might make for some more validity. Also, aren't we all Palm gurus?
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    But Sprint is not the one that is developing for the Pre... If you said VP for Palm, then it might make for some more validity. Also, aren't we all Palm gurus?
    Most Sprint stores have an employee of palm who is a Pre guru come and assist Pre owners. So basically it makes him slightly more Yoda than us.
    From my reading on the processor specs, (at work and I'm blocked from alot of sites so i cant repost a link) but i recall reading that the 600mhz processor TI is making for the pre is more than capable of video recording in DVD quality. The reason I dont use Cellphone Recording is because of the horrible quality. If this becomes true(keep in mind it'll prolly be a 3rd party app) that takes advantage of that, I'd be using it a whole lot more!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Exactly. Some guy making 8 bucks an hour in a Sprint store is not going to know Palm's roadmap months ahead of time. A regional VP for Sprint wouldn't know either (there are a bunch of those).

I call BS. Either Pogey or his sources are full of it. Can we reasonably expect video to come to the Pre sooner or later? Absolutely. Do I think this particular report is reliable? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    I thought that this feature only mattered to 13yo girls. What are you going to be taking video of that is so important, but not important enough to bring a camcorder? Nearly every other phone I've owned has had video recording, but other than screwing around, I never used it once.
    Needed for encounters with the police. How many cases have you seen on the internet of excessive force by police caught on cell phone cameras?
    Well i've seen quite a few.
  15.    #35  
    Exactly. Some guy making 8 bucks an hour in a Sprint store is not going to know Palm's roadmap months ahead of time. A regional VP for Sprint wouldn't know either (there are a bunch of those).

I call BS. Either Pogey or his sources are full of it. Can we reasonably expect video to come to the Pre sooner or later? Absolutely. Do I think this particular report is reliable? No.
    I didn't speak to some stooge. The Palm guy was an actual employee. Believe me or don't... No skin off my back. J was just passing info on
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    From my reading on the processor specs, (at work and I'm blocked from alot of sites so i cant repost a link) but i recall reading that the 600mhz processor TI is making for the pre is more than capable of video recording in DVD quality. The reason I dont use Cellphone Recording is because of the horrible quality. If this becomes true(keep in mind it'll prolly be a 3rd party app) that takes advantage of that, I'd be using it a whole lot more!
    While the CPU may be fast enough, that's only part of the equation if you want good quality video. The lens and the image sensor make a huge difference. The optics on cell phones (even the fancy nokia ones with Carl Zeiss lenses) are not as good as what you will find on a real camera. Besides that, most cell phones use CMOS as the image sensor as oppose to CCD on a real camcorder, this is the reason why you see the rolling shutter effects (aka jello shots) from cellphone videos.

So if you want "DVD quality video", you may be disappointed even if the Pre can take videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    Needed for encounters with the police. How many cases have you seen on the internet of excessive force by police caught on cell phone cameras?
    Well i've seen quite a few.
    yeah how about that ambulance driver in OK. that got roughed up by the 5.0. The Ambulance had a patient in it and the cop pulled it over for failure to yield...then choked out the Paramedic for flipping the cop off!! Crazy!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Palm said in one of the original keynote that it wouldn't have video at launch, but it would be released via software update shortly after. So this isn't really news to anyone who was paying attention.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I agree with your argument on the $8 an hour Sprint guy, but he wasn't referring to one of the guys working in Sprint, he was referring to the Palm employees that are housed in Sprint to help Pre customers. Also a regional VP of Sprint would likely know the roadmap, regardless of how many there are.
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    I have to say taking video is not that impressive to me on the iphone since just about every phone out there can do that, what impressed me was the ability to do light video editing on the phone itself.
    everyphone out there could do it but the video was poor and resolution ridicously low... and you didnt have enough memory for 10 second vids. pictures back then too... I had a Sony W810 and a joke to take pics but then I got the first gen iphone and have taken over thousand pics of my daughter growing up because the quality better.

youtube some 3gs video samples and they are good... 720p?, 30fps i think with good sound... good enough quality to upload and post on youtube and these phones can do it where they couldnt a couple of years ago and with 32GB can film forever and have room for apps and music, etc. Palm has basically the same chip so this should be exciting.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast