Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Oh my gawd... the BS propagating the internet has reached critical mass. I thought it was bad enough seeing all the headlines about "3GS 11% FASTER THAN PRE!!!" and "APPLE TO TROUNCE PALM IN FIRST WEEKEND SALES" and "PRE NO SAVIOR FOR SPRINT", but then things took a turn for the inane and overly literal:

Palm tweets about Palm Pre’s flawed keyboard

Will the idiots stop at nothing to prove to the world that they have a) no clue, b) no journalistic integrity, c) no brain, d) shoe size larger than their IQ, e) wood for Steve Jobs? I get so mad that any 12-year-old or ***** with a blog can have the FOX effect (sway opinion by frequently and repeatedly stating half truths and lies) on the Pre.

Anyone else have any ridiculous anti-Palm new links they'd like to share?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I bought the phone, i didn't make it. So it doesnt bother me a bit.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Urkel: So it isn't going to bother you if Palm goes out of business due in part to sales lost as a result of all the BS "news" articles and you get stuck with an unsupported phone because of it? Myself, I'd like for Palm to stick around. I really like my Pre and I'm sure lots of would-be buyers will really like it, too, if they aren't scared off by the headlines you find on any news feed.
    "It seems the Palm Pre’s keyboard will automatically insert apostrophes in all contractions"
    I fail to see how this is a flaw. Seems like a good thing to me
    I am hardly categorize not putting an apostrophe for "Y'all" as a "Big flaw".... talk about a bit of an exaggeration!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Urkel: So it isn't going to bother you if Palm goes out of business due in part to sales lost as a result of all the BS "news" articles and you get stuck with an unsupported phone because of it?
    If pre was to fail (which I personally don't think it will), those negative articles aren't going to be the downfall of Palm. I wouldn't worry about it. How many technological devices debuted and had negative articles?
    It's a joke. Apparently Palm crew found it funny, while iPhone fanboys didn't and are looking for anything to crack on Palm. And this is not even about the keyboard at all it's about the input software.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Urkel: So it isn't going to bother you if Palm goes out of business due in part to sales lost as a result of all the BS "news" articles and you get stuck with an unsupported phone because of it? Myself, I'd like for Palm to stick around. I really like my Pre and I'm sure lots of would-be buyers will really like it, too, if they aren't scared off by the headlines you find on any news feed.
    1) Are you aware of how many people on the planet need a cell? There's more than enough room in the market for WebOS, iPhoneOS and Android to carve out a niche

2) Market dominance does not mean it is the better product and it can even work against you (The reason Apple and Palm could reboot their product is because of small marketshare)

3) WebOS will exist whether it's continued by Palm or by whoever acquires them.

4) Palm did it to themselves. Obviously the OS is top notch and promising, but the hardware is not. And (since you brought it up) that is most evident when comparing to the iPhone 3GS hardware.

Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS
    - $299 vs $299
    - 8GB vs 32GB
    - Standard no-macro Camera vs Autofocus Camera
    - Fast Proc vs Faster Proc
    - Creaky/flimsy Build vs Solid build
    - Plastic Screen vs Glass screen

WebOS I don't worry about because it's incredibly impressive for a 1.0 and they can always fix things. But in all of these hardware categories then Palm SHOULD have done better but chose not to. So any blame lies on their decisions.

We're CONSUMERS, we don't work for any of these companies so if they want us to fight their battles then give us more to brag about than "dude, i'm multitasking you to death".
    Those negative articles have no affect on palm failing or succeddng. The worst thing that would happen to Palm is someone buying them out due to the success of the Palm OS operating system. Also you need all points of view , good and bad. I appreciate the negative articles as well as the positive ones.
    There is very little chance it will go out of business, Palm hit a grand slam home run with WebOS. Investors thinks Palm will be a major cell phone player again based on the stock price. Palm went from about $1 to $14 in less than a year. Any publicity for the Pre (even bad) is good for Palm.
    These articles are great. You have to remember that Palm wasn't getting any press at all before. So what if the newest iphone's browser is a bit faster RIGHT NOW than an OS that is a few weeks old? What you have to keep in mind is that Palm is the only one they're comparing this with.

You're incorrectly thinking palm will go out of business as a result. Nope, they're just runner up to the most popular phone in the US right now. Pretty good feat for Palm.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    These articles are great. You have to remember that Palm wasn't getting any press at all before. So what if the newest iphone's browser is a bit faster RIGHT NOW than an OS that is a few weeks old? What you have to keep in mind is that Palm is the only one they're comparing this with.

You're incorrectly thinking palm will go out of business as a result. Nope, they're just runner up to the most popular phone in the US right now. Pretty good feat for Palm.
    Exactly. The fact that they leapfrogged Google (android) and Microsoft (WinMo) in mindshare is beyond impressive. And It can't be forgotten that the Pre's popularity came directly from media hype because clearly Sprint/Palm didn't put much into advertising.

The truth of it is that Sprint is the biggest hurdle for WebOS because people don't seem to like them. So if you're waiting for WebOS to really go full steam then it will be when it hits Verizon and ATT. Until then, this is a slow moving train.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I love the Pre, it's an amazing phone, it does what I want it to do. The camera is great and the software for sharing/geotagging my pictures is great.

The browser is great, it's pretty much all great. I don't see what's not to like, even the crew at Crackberry wrote a very nice article about the Pre about how tempting it is for Blackberry users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS
    - $299 vs $299
    - 8GB vs 32GB
    - Standard no-macro Camera vs Autofocus Camera
    - Fast Proc vs Faster Proc
    - Creaky/flimsy Build vs Solid build
    - Plastic Screen vs Glass screen

[/I]
    Ironically, this is EXACTLY the type of the thing the OP was talking about. You pick out selected features and make comparisons, some of which are total BS, and conclude that iPhone has an advantage.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Wow, lots of points awaiting response.

Urkel- First, I didn't "bring up" any hardware issues or iPhone comparison other than pasting headlines, but I'll agree the iPhone looks better on paper (although I don't agree with all your points on that matter). That said, I don't believe palm "chose" to use lesser hardware for some components, rather, they couldn't afford to buy compenents in vast enough quantities to match Apple's pricing. I agree there is plenty of space in the market for more than one type of smartphone to exist, my peeve is that the majority of tech reviewers seem to only stack Pre up against iPhone using the exact same tech spec charts you posted.

Cardfan- inded, no press is bad press. However, you typical buyer looks to the opinions of dumbed-down sources such as PC World magazine. In the past week or so, nearly every news source is predicting the demise of Palm or advising buyers to steer clear, trumpeting the Pre's weak spots (even concocting a few) while mostly ignoring its strenghts.

VaccPalm & Mickdaddy- exactly! But even though Palm stock is still up around 1400% from December, the news outlets mostly choose to point out that it is down $1~ from last month and cite that as proof of the Pre's failure. I'd prefer that Palm stay Palm, not "Palm by Dell" or what have you, and for that to happen people need to buy the Pre and have confidence in Palm.

I know, I know, life isn't fair and all that. I don't deny that the Pre isn't perfect, but when the bulk of media is so anti-Palm that they take an obvious joke tweet and spin it as "even Palm knows they are crap"... well, that's just kind of the breaking point for me. This post was just to see if I'm the only one that finds it ridiculous how biased most Pre articles are anymore. Starting to remind me of political commentary leading up to an election.
    Here are the facts as I see them:

-Palm is selling these things faster than they can produce them
    -Everyone I showed my Pre to loved it, including several people who own iPhones
    -Fanboys are everywhere and they are annoying, regardless if they are Apple or Palm fanboys.

The thing isn't perfect, but it's a damn nice phone I think. I'm a happy Pre customer, and not too worried that the 3GS's web browser is 10% faster than mine. At least I don't drop calls left and right like I did on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    What a joke that article is. Palm was clearly being facetious in a tweet and some ***** named Will Park writes a four paragraph article. This guy is going places.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Godisgov- haha, exactly. But not just some *****, he's the chief one at his site: Editor in Chief Will Park. ( : About IntoMobile

Crazytexan- precisely the reason I'm stumped by all the negative press.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    You either like the device or not. You either enjoy it's design or not. I could careless what everyone else has to say. As for Palm, if they take this too much as an insult; then you'll definitely see a Palm Pre quote "3G" next summer with improved design, so on so forth.
    "..this will definitely prevail."
    The thing that cracks me up is that people have a short memory. How many other phones including the iPhone had and have major issues when first released! Anyone who buys a phone (or any product for that matter) when it is first released, know they will have some issues. If you want a perfect phone wait for a year after initial release. Sure they screw things up and things aren't perfect, but you new this going in. If it's that bad...you have thirty days take it back and wait for the next one.

Peace

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast