Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    So, let's see here - you drop your iPhone and the screen cracks and it looks like that, and I drop my BB SEVERAL times with no cracks, no damage, and you're saying the iPhone is better because despite the broken screen that looks like a$$, it still works???

    Only someone who has drunk the Koolaid would get that logic.
    Or let's point out who is forcing logic to go their way. You bring up that Blackberry a ton but you fail to point out that it's a 3yr old NON-touchscreen model so that pristine screen is nothing more than an LCD shield. It's not the same thing as a glass or plastic touchscreen.

    Honestly, what's with the anger here? You don't even seem to be reading because I pointed out the iPhone damage would have destroyed ANY phone (and that includes the BB that you speak of incessantly). The point is that in the end it still works.

    BTW, accusing Pre owners of drinking the Apple Koolaid is just plain silly. Why do you think we bought a Pre?
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/21/2009 at 09:45 PM.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Or let's point out who is forcing logic to go their way. You bring up that Blackberry a ton but you fail to point out that it's a 3yr old NON-touchscreen model so that pristine screen is nothing more than an LCD shield. It's not the same thing as a glass or plastic touchscreen.

    Honestly, what's with the anger here? You don't even seem to be reading because I pointed out the iPhone damage would have destroyed ANY phone (and that includes the BB that you speak of incessantly). The point is that in the end it still works.

    BTW, accusing Pre owners of drinking the Apple Koolaid is just plain silly. Why do you think we bought a Pre?
    What???? Touchscreen or not has nothing to do with the price of pinto beans in the market in Brazil last Tuesday. Or what kind of plastic is used on a BMW convertible. Either the sh!t breaks when you drop it or it doesn't.

    Bottom line is, I dropped the crap out of my PLASTIC SCREEN BB and right now it's in the hands of another user who is happy to have it. Your cracked glass screen iPhone is in the circular file. But it's very elegant sitting there, and despite the fact that it's BROKEN you're still in here trying to convince people with a brain how nice it is.

    And it only takes a couple of seconds on Google to see that your premise about glass being "better" is total crap:

    CRACKED iPHONE SCREEN! - Mac Forums

    SO.

    I got home from work today, and pulled my phone out of my dedicated iphone pocket from my jacket.

    The screen is cracked.

    Waaoo.

    Spoke to Apple.

    No Use.

    I treat this phone like a member of my family and this happens.

    So now I have an AT'T contract on a phone that I no longer wish to own.

    What do I do? I'd like a blackberry or go back to good old nokia, but can I do that on my existing AT'T contract?

    Please help me!

    Or, from http://www.iphonesavior.com/2007/11/...e-life-a.html:

    Hey Greg,

    We carry the complete replacement screen for the iPhone and not a replacement glass. The glass you are refering to is part of the complete screen with the lcd. You are unable to just replace the glass. Also the iphone screens we carry are OEM original replacements and not some after market knock off or just the lcd as seen on some other sites. The reason it will take 5-7 days to replace the screen for you is because we are so back logged on people sending them to us we can not keep up at this time. We have been offering screens for PDA and smartphones since 1997 and plan on doing it for a long time. We are most known for our free take apart videos and directions to show people how to DIY.

    Email me directly and I am sure I can help you get the screen done faster..

    Thanks,
    Robby Stanley
    DirectFix: iPhone Service, iPhone Repair, Broken iPhone, iPhone Parts & iPhone LCD

    Or maybe this:

    Apple iPhone Glass Screen Cracked | GeckoandFly Make Money Online

    Must be the first iPhone to be broken by a user. I thought the screen is suppose to withstand certain pressure and impact incase it drops, well I just simply couldn’t understand why would Jobs want a glass screen instead of a plastic, at least plastic is lighter and much more durable.

    Or maybe this:

    iPhone screen cracks after 24 hours - MAC.BLORGE

    It was only a matter of time before this happened. The iPhone has an all glass screen, as you may know, glass screens have a tendency to break or crack, more easily than other types of screens. Let this be a lesson to all of you with iPhones, treat them as gently as you would a newborn infant. This person managed to crack the screen on his iPhone after 24 hours of owning it.

    He says the phone rang while it was plugged in and charging so he went to answer it, the cord pulled out of his hand, hit the corner of a table and then (presumably) whacked the iPhone while in flight. Needless to say this resulted in a very badly cracked iPhone screen.

    What he doesn’t say is if the iPhone was still functioning perfectly after the display got smashed. It would be interesting to see if the touch screen response would still be accurate. PDA screens tend not to be so accurate after they have been cracked or smashed but that has something to do with the surface tension that may or may not be a factor with the iPhone’s glass screen.

    In the end this was the owner’s fault and even after telling that to the folks at his local Apple Store, they still replaced the iPhone at no charge. We’ll be seeing refurbished iPhones crop up in the Apple Store very soon.

    Be warned that not all Apple Stores are created equal so some stores may replace some stores may tell you to take a long walk off a short pier.



    And that's not even the first full page of posts on the search.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 06/22/2009 at 10:14 AM.
  3. #43  
    I think even if Palm kicked the bucket, the rights to webos might be sold to another manufacture to further develope and release more phone's based on it.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    I think even if Palm kicked the bucket, the rights to webos might be sold to another manufacture to further develope and release more phone's based on it.
    In case people here didn't notice. With all of the rumor mongering about Palm dying or being sold. They are now worth close to $2 billion now. That's a large bite for most companies to take at this point in time. They could get bought but going under is pretty darn unlikely at this point. Despite some people having valid hardware issues. The Pre is pretty darn good for a 1.0 device and is only going to get better fast. Trolls hanging around here Pre-bashing are not going to make much of a dent I think.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

    Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS
    - $299 vs $299
    - 8GB vs 32GB
    - Standard no-macro Camera vs Autofocus Camera
    - Fast Proc vs Faster Proc
    - Creaky/flimsy Build vs Solid build
    - Plastic Screen vs Glass screen
    lol, this makes me giggle. More accurately:
    - $199 vs $199
    - 8GB vs 16GB
    - Standard no-macro camera vs fake macro (in other words, highly pixelated, fake "zooming")
    - Fast Proc vs Vaguely faster, at times, and under the right circumstances processing
    - Solid build, comfortable in the hand (maybe yours was creaky) vs solid, boxy build
    - Plastic screen impervious to drops vs glass, slightly more likely to break than plastic.
    - MMS out of the gate vs MMS? AT&T?? (took 3 iterations to get this "advanced" functionality)
    - Lots of screen real estate because of hardware keyboard vs half screen taken up by on screen keyboard
    - flash vs no flash
    - nice, open home screen with relevant information vs icon packed home screen
    - Multi-tasking vs Multi-who? No thanks, I'm cool with closing, reopening, then closing, then reopening apps...cuz that's logical. (I swear, it's totally what I do on my home and work computers)

    -fin
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    lol, this makes me giggle. More accurately:
    - $199 vs $199
    - 8GB vs 16GB
    - Standard no-macro camera vs fake macro (in other words, highly pixelated, fake "zooming")
    - Fast Proc vs Vaguely faster, at times, and under the right circumstances processing
    - Solid build, comfortable in the hand (maybe yours was creaky) vs solid, boxy build
    - Plastic screen impervious to drops vs glass, slightly more likely to break than plastic.
    - MMS out of the gate vs MMS? AT&T?? (took 3 iterations to get this "advanced" functionality)
    - Lots of screen real estate because of hardware keyboard vs half screen taken up by on screen keyboard
    - flash vs no flash
    - nice, open home screen with relevant information vs icon packed home screen
    - Multi-tasking vs Multi-who? No thanks, I'm cool with closing, reopening, then closing, then reopening apps...cuz that's logical. (I swear, it's totally what I do on my home and work computers)

    -fin
    Ill continue

    Sprint vs At&T (We all know how bad at&t is)
    Full Keyboard vs Hard to use virtual one
    Induction Charging Vs nothing
    Universal usb vs special plug
    Gestures (Godsend) vs Button
    GPS Free out of box vs TomTom App which they will charge for and isnt out yet
    Sprint TV vs Nothing
    Cheaper plan vs far more expensive one
    Removable Battery vs No removable battery
    Seamless conversations through aim, sms and all other platforms (you send aim, they logged off, gets send to their phone) vs Unknown
    Pre fits better in my hands
    Pre is easier to use with one hand (gestures)

    Ill add more later if I feel up to it

    You could say the same things for the gs, point is you pick the phone that has what YOU want. there is no this phone is BETTER, its this phone is BETTER for ME and what I want to do (most of them are listed above). Which is why I got the pre

    The thing that bothers me is that these reviewers cant see it this way. They never say both phones are good, they always say one is better then the other (usually iphone biased). But the reality is is that both phones are GREAT devices. They cater to different people, so its good we have options, no need to bash the Pre because it doesn't have the feature you MUST have or the WORLD will end. and if the device doesn't have it then its a FAILURE. when its just not that black and white.
    Last edited by Integrals; 06/22/2009 at 04:12 AM.
  7. #47  
    @GMoney749
    Finding a few examples of iPhone users with cracked screens out of the millions sold over the past 2 years does not prove any point. I would guess that if a study were done a higher percentage of Pre users have experienced cracked screens after the first 2 weeks of ownership anyway.

    But the difference will really show in time. In a few months or a year I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Pre users complaining about screen damage because the screen is flush and convex (force is concentrated on a single point when dropped) and made of cheaper plastic instead of more expensive durable glass.

    And yes, comparing the screens to the windows in cars and buildings is legitimate. For all of them the important factors are:
    • Durability (Toughness, Strength)
    • Longevity (How long will it last without degraded performance)
    • Weight (How much does it cost to ship, More support and engine power needed for higher weight)
    • Price

    Obviously if plastic were the equal of glass in terms of durability and longevity nobody would use glass for anything because plastic is cheaper and lighter. But where quality is important glass wins.

    @aolbites and @Integrals (my favorite fanboy troll):
    You make a few valid points but most are stretches to try to make the iPhone look bad and the Pre look good. Try to be more objective.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

    Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS
    - $299 vs $299
    - 8GB vs 32GB
    - Standard no-macro Camera vs Autofocus Camera
    - Fast Proc vs Faster Proc
    - Creaky/flimsy Build vs Solid build
    - Plastic Screen vs Glass screen
    So your list of talking points only includes those for which the iPhone has the advantage? Could there be a more blatant example of bias?
  9. #49  
    To all Iphone lovers; enjoy your phone and join the Iphone forum. This forum is for Pre lovers. Please don't try to spoil Pre lover's fun!
  10. #50  
    Yesterday, On PC World, it said "Palm Pre gets first update" (Update 1.0.3). Nothing negative about it but it proves that they don't know anything about the Pre.
  11. #51  
    @GMoney749

    There is a big difference between those cracks and the reported cracks on the Pre...the former being caused by physical damage by the user.

    Any phone screen will break if you whack it hard enough against the corner of a table.
  12. nullity's Avatar
    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #52  
    Ahhh... enter the FTC. If only they'd had such legislation in place already, we'd be able to see just how many free Apple products the BS anti-pre bloggers have received.

    Report: FTC to go after blogger freebies | Politics and Law - CNET News

    I bet our buddy Will Park @ IntoMobile has a whole bunch of goodies! Including the 4-paragraph turd of an article that led me to begin this thread, he has posted 3 anti-pre articles in as many days. At least he's earning those iPods. ( :

    And yes, I do know that there is no proof of this... but one has to wonder what is fueling his sentiment. Plus it is wicked fun to brew conspiracy theories. hahah...
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    @GMoney749

    @aolbites and @Integrals (my favorite fanboy troll):
    You make a few valid points but most are stretches to try to make the iPhone look bad and the Pre look good. Try to be more objective.
    Did you not read the second part of my post when I said both phones were awesome and I could list just as many things the gs does better then the pre, I was just trying to make a point that most of these articles come off as biased

    Ohh, and I feel honored to be you favorite fanboy troll ^_^

    There are more factors as to why buildings use glass and not plastic. Plastic provides more flex but is "tougher" then glass by the engineering definition. Glass is stronger but more brittle, plastic is weaker but more flexible. So plastic is better for handling impacts then glass, but glass is less prone to scratching (Thats where the strength comes in) and THATS why they use it for buildings. Not to mention I think glass has better insulation properties.

    So looking at a skyscraper and saying, "Look, THEY use it it so must be better for phones" is silly. They both have advantages and disadvantages. and they are both GREAT materials to use in phones

    Imo if you take care of glass it has a longer shelf life, but these devices are going to be replaced in two years and plastic is more than adequate to last that long.

    That being said I think glass would be better then plastic in the PRE's case, why? because the constant high temperatures could be changing the properties of the plastic, warping it, or "treating" it so it becomes more brittle and that COULD be one factor in the random cracks appearing
    Last edited by Integrals; 06/22/2009 at 02:54 PM.
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    So, let's see here - you drop your iPhone and the screen cracks and it looks like that, and I drop my BB SEVERAL times with no cracks, no damage, and you're saying the iPhone is better because despite the broken screen that looks like a$$, it still works???

    Only someone who has drunk the Koolaid would get that logic.
    I dropped Pre from 5 feet , no issues.

    But I will agree that LATE MODEL BB are better engineered than any phone out there in terms of quality of material ( yes this includes the iPhone too).

    I was impressed at the STORM construction , especially the battery cover.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    @GMoney749
    Finding a few examples of iPhone users with cracked screens out of the millions sold over the past 2 years does not prove any point. I would guess that if a study were done a higher percentage of Pre users have experienced cracked screens after the first 2 weeks of ownership anyway.

    But the difference will really show in time. In a few months or a year I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Pre users complaining about screen damage because the screen is flush and convex (force is concentrated on a single point when dropped) and made of cheaper plastic instead of more expensive durable glass.

    And yes, comparing the screens to the windows in cars and buildings is legitimate. For all of them the important factors are:
    • Durability (Toughness, Strength)
    • Longevity (How long will it last without degraded performance)
    • Weight (How much does it cost to ship, More support and engine power needed for higher weight)
    • Price

    Obviously if plastic were the equal of glass in terms of durability and longevity nobody would use glass for anything because plastic is cheaper and lighter. But where quality is important glass wins.
    Are you actually reading what you're writing?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaine View Post
    @GMoney749

    There is a big difference between those cracks and the reported cracks on the Pre...the former being caused by physical damage by the user.

    Any phone screen will break if you whack it hard enough against the corner of a table.
    I know, we're out in left field talking about BMW rear windows and buildings, and now cracks in Pre screens that were NOT caused by dropping them.

    I give up.
  17. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I give up.
    thank god. I thougt we'd have to listen to that irrelevant story about dropping your prestine condition non-touchscreen blackberry forever.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    thank god. I thougt we'd have to listen to that irrelevant story about dropping your prestine condition non-touchscreen blackberry forever.
    Yes, yes - let's all get back to your incredible broken iPhone that survived the holocaust and drama over the switch to glass screens on a Macbook. That's important stuff. Got any photos of that one to share??
  19. #59  
    why you pissed?
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS
    - $299 vs $299
    - 8GB vs 32GB
    - Standard no-macro Camera vs Autofocus Camera
    - Fast Proc vs Faster Proc
    - Creaky/flimsy Build vs Solid build
    - Plastic Screen vs Glass screen[/I]
    You forgot:
    -More responsive touchscreen vs. less responsive touchscreen
    -Multitasking vs. one app at a time
    -Slick and new ergonomic design vs. brickish, utilitarian and outdated design
    -Modern best of breed UI vs. rehash of old UI
    -Physical keyboard, with ability to add touchscreen keyboard in future vs. touchscreen keyboard only, with no way of adding physical keyboard
    -Sprint (carrier on an upswing) vs. AT&T (carrier in a tailspin)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions