Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Ironically, this is EXACTLY the type of the thing the OP was talking about. You pick out selected features and make comparisons, some of which are total BS, and conclude that iPhone has an advantage.
    No. Urkel is right on here. Palm has a high quality OS and a high quality design but chose to build it with low quality parts and construction.

Overall, the Pre is still a very good phone. But it would be a great phone if you were getting iPhone-like quality of materials and workmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    No. Urkel is right on here. Palm has a high quality OS and a high quality design but chose to build it with low quality parts and construction.

Overall, the Pre is still a very good phone. But it would be a great phone if you were getting iPhone-like quality of materials and workmanship.
    That's your opinion.

For example, on the issue of the choice of screen materials: glass breaks when you drop your phone. My first BB hit the deck many times and the screen never broke because it was plastic. So, screen material is a design choice that includes many factors, not just cost to manufacture and your assumptions about why they made a particular choice are just that - your assumptions.

And other than my Touchstone-induced back panel having it little slop in it, for the life of me, I can't figure out what these "sub-standard" materials and workmanship comments are all about.
    i paid no attention to the bs articles..i got my pre yesterday and the thing is *****'n...i love it..screw the haters
    "I get so mad that any 12-year-old or ***** with a blog can have the FOX effect (sway opinion by frequently and repeatedly stating half truths and lies) on the Pre."

While I tend to agree with the OP to a degree about the coverage of the pre.... it seems a little contradictory when speaking of the FOX effect.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    That's your opinion.

For example, on the issue of the choice of screen materials: glass breaks when you drop your phone. My first BB hit the deck many times and the screen never broke because it was plastic. So, screen material is a design choice that includes many factors, not just cost to manufacture and your assumptions about why they made a particular choice are just that - your assumptions.

And other than my Touchstone-induced back panel having it little slop in it, for the life of me, I can't figure out what these "sub-standard" materials and workmanship comments are all about.
    I agree. I don't get all of these complaints about inferior hardware. I think the slop is by design. If it was rigid and had no play it would most likely break after multiple times of being opened. All phones that have a slide-out keyboard have slop. Why people seem determined to point it out on the Pre is beyond me.
    I look for Palm to be bought out in the future... names have been tossed around like Dell or HP in business sites.

Also, they look to be providing WebOS phones to ATT and Verizon or least working on them for very near future. I don't know if Apple will go Verizon someday but it Palm gets to Verizon, they will propel Palm and Palm will be ok.

Sprint, well... they should done better than 6 month exclusivity with Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    There is very little chance it will go out of business, Palm hit a grand slam home run with WebOS. Investors thinks Palm will be a major cell phone player again based on the stock price. Palm went from about $1 to $14 in less than a year. Any publicity for the Pre (even bad) is good for Palm.
    That's your opinion.

Yes, glass can break when you drop it. But so does plastic. And plastic scratches far more easily then glass. If plastic were as durable and scratch resistant as glass then don't you think cars and buildings would use plastic for their windows? It would be cheaper and lighter, right?

For example my BMW convertible comes with a plastic rear window that after a some months of use becomes so cloudy with tiny scratches that I can barely see through it. I have to replace it at least once a year. For newer models BMW put in a glass rear window which eliminates this problem because they don't get scratched up like plastic does.

Apparently you can think of at least one area of "sub-standard" materials and workmanship. I, as someone who pays attention to detail, can see many others.
    And people have to stop thinking about the tenths of a difference or whine how test sites did a "start-start" on the iphone first.

I just came back from finally checking a 3GS... had to find an ATT store because the friggin Apple stores still have two lines!

Anyways, I am playing with the phone and without a Pre in my other hand to see how fast each goes from app to app or load pages and sounds, you are not gonna care about the tenths... you are going to care how THAT phone runs. And gotta tell ya, that thing ran great. I have always had good signal in the area and that phone loaded precentral just fine and the apps loaded almost instant and that camera and video very nice. Went home and will think about it.

I think most articles tell ya it's more 'too close to tell.' One vid said before the recording the other phone actually did better in the tests. They are both great phones.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    These articles are great. You have to remember that Palm wasn't getting any press at all before. So what if the newest iphone's browser is a bit faster RIGHT NOW than an OS that is a few weeks old? What you have to keep in mind is that Palm is the only one they're comparing this with.

You're incorrectly thinking palm will go out of business as a result. Nope, they're just runner up to the most popular phone in the US right now. Pretty good feat for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I look for Palm to be bought out in the future... names have been tossed around like Dell or HP in business sites.
    Well, I don't think Palm will be bought out unless Palm has serious execution problems with the Pre and newer devices.

However, it might be a good idea for Palm get out of the hardware business and just concentrate on the OS and software. WebOS is their real jewel. The Pre hardware is pretty forgettable and frankly other companies like HTC could do it better (my opinion).
    Quote Originally Posted by godisgov View Post
    What a joke that article is. Palm was clearly being facetious in a tweet and some ***** named Will Park writes a four paragraph article. This guy is going places.
    Just looking at the article... it's such a tiny article and getting oversensitive about it? Apple got hammered for having only 2G in the beginning, lowly cameras and no voice dialing and oh my gosh the list goes on and you act like Apple has never been criticized.

I think in general the press has said this is a great phone. Again, people arguing about ten-tenths.

Who cares about the apostrophe thing... if anything, the issue is you guys need spell checking!!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Just looking at the article... it's such a tiny article and getting oversensitive about it? Apple got hammered for having only 2G in the beginning, lowly cameras and no voice dialing and oh my gosh the list goes on and you act like Apple has never been criticized.
    I don't know how you interpreted my response as overly sensitive. The guy wrote 4 paragraphs about a playful tweet, that he tries to morph it into a major flaw, with a very misleading title. For people that have heard of the supposedly unusable keyboard, they just look at the title of the article, and it confirms what they previously thought, now that Palm itself is admitting it.

All of the issues that you brought up with the 2G iPhone were significant. No Pre user actually cares that an apostrophe doesn't automatically get inserted into y'all (again, unless you're from Tennessee).
    Sorry not to say you being over sensitive... just reaction from others that get so sensitive from anything that may sound negative.

honestly, all those iphone criticisms I listed... I never cared and never noticed until someone brought it up. Loved every moment of the phone and loved all the updates and such that made it better just like pre owner will. I have cut and paste now... whopee.

As long as you bought it because you liked what it's got now and suits your needs... not what people point out it doesnt have or care about the ten-tenths then youre ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisgov View Post
    I don't know how you interpreted my response as overly sensitive. The guy wrote 4 paragraphs about a playful tweet, that he tries to morph it into a major flaw, with a very misleading title. For people that have heard of the supposedly unusable keyboard, they just look at the title of the article, and it confirms what they previously thought, now that Palm itself is admitting it.
    I hear you and you are right, but I think very few people really listen to silly little blogs like that when they make buying decisions. I'd like to think that most people buying smartphones are smart enough to research a little deeper to find the phone that meets their needs based on multiple sources of information. Few people are going to drop the kind of cash that these phones and their plans require without giving it careful thought.

Obviously, the iPhone might be the exception as I'm sure many people buy it simply because it's cool or because all the other girls at school have them. But in those cases it doesn't matter what the bloggers say (good or bad); these people are going to buy the iPhone because that's what non-thinking sheep do!
    Ive ran into a number of Tweets from iPhone fanboys that dog the Pre any chance they get, even though they have NEVER actually owned or EVEN used one.

Bottom line is, the Pre is the first REAL competition to the iPhone & they're scared sh**less.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yes, glass can break when you drop it. But so does plastic. And plastic scratches far more easily then glass. If plastic were as durable and scratch resistant as glass then don't you think cars and buildings would use plastic for their windows? It would be cheaper and lighter, right?

For example my BMW convertible comes with a plastic rear window that after a some months of use becomes so cloudy with tiny scratches that I can barely see through it. I have to replace it at least once a year. For newer models BMW put in a glass rear window which eliminates this problem because they don't get scratched up like plastic does.

Apparently you can think of at least one area of "sub-standard" materials and workmanship. I, as someone who pays attention to detail, can see many others.
    Attention to detail?? Your response is nonsensical and based on what you THINK you know. Despite the fact that you've never designed or manufactured a smartphone, you think you know better about how to design one than the professionals at company that actually does. Typical of so many "experts" on the internet.

What you choose for materials for a building or a car has NOTHING to do with what materials you chose on a cell phone. Nothing. You do know that there are thousands of different types of polymers, right?

I had my BB for three years, dropped it onto concrete SEVERAL times, and when I sent it back to IT a week ago it didn't have a single ding or scratch in the PLASTIC screen. Pristine and looked like new. And for all those years I kept it in my front pocket, no pouch, no screen overlay, nothing. Just like I do my Pre. All this crap about the plastic screen is just that, a load of crap. You've got a hook in your mouth and you don't even know it.

My sister is here visiting and sitting on my couch playing with her iPhone as I type this. Earlier, I noticed a scratch in the screen. She explained that it wasn't a scratch in her screen, it was a scratch in the protector over her screen. You know, the protector she put on there to protect the GLASS.
    lol... no offense but... nothing delicate about the glass, you're sisters ANAL.

I had a screen protector for the first year until that wore. Decided to go NAKED and not a scratch.

You're more likely to scratch a plastic screen then glass. If it falls hard enough for that glass to break, I doubt the protector could keep it from cracking. Tens of millions of these things including Touches and with the majority of the human race clumsy by nature, if the glass cracked so easy, there would be a big stink about it and they would have gone plastic too.

My sister is here visiting and sitting on my couch playing with her iPhone as I type this. Earlier, I noticed a scratch in the screen. She explained that it wasn't a scratch in her screen, it was a scratch in the protector over her screen. You know, the protector she put on there to protect the GLASS.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    That's your opinion.

But that's making the assumption that all glass is equal. I was mad as heck when the Macbook line went to glass but after having my iPhone go through an accident that should've killed ANY phone then I've changed my mind on the whole thing because despite that cracked iPhone STILL works perfect and I use it daily (without service) as a WiFi iPod/Gameboy/Couch Tablet.

That's why my opinion on plastic is negative. Any cracked plastic TOUCHSCREEN I've dealt with (as well as the cracked Pre's reported here) resulted in an inoperable touch surface, but I know a few clumsy dopes with cracked iPhones that still are using it. So IMO high quality glass in a solid construction is better than plastic screen + plastic body.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/22/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That's why my opinion on plastic is negative. Any cracked plastic TOUCHSCREEN I've dealt with (as well as the cracked Pre's reported here) resulted in an inoperable touch surface, but I know a few clumsy dopes with cracked iPhones that still are using it. So IMO high quality glass in a solid construction is better than plastic screen + plastic body.
    So, let's see here - you drop your iPhone and the screen cracks and it looks like that, and I drop my BB SEVERAL times with no cracks, no damage, and you're saying the iPhone is better because despite the broken screen that looks like a$$, it still works???

Only someone who has drunk the Koolaid would get that logic.
    lol... no offense but... nothing delicate about the glass, you're sisters ANAL.

I had a screen protector for the first year until that wore. Decided to go NAKED and not a scratch.

You're more likely to scratch a plastic screen then glass. If it falls hard enough for that glass to break, I doubt the protector could keep it from cracking. Tens of millions of these things including Touches and with the majority of the human race clumsy by nature, if the glass cracked so easy, there would be a big stink about it and they would have gone plastic too.
    Ummm, yeah - but in practice it hasn't actually happened, and is a theory that iFanboys love to repeat. Likely is BS. I carried my BB in my pocket unprotected for 3 years (and dropped it on concrete) without a scratch. Practice, not theory or a line I read on the internet about why glass is better.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    yea i think they are sarcastic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast