1.    #1  
    #1 on June 13 (build date 6/8): dead pixel; sloppy slider (gaps & wiggles)
    #2 on June 18 (build date 6/6): very sloppy slider
    #3 on June 20 (build date 6/15): perfect (so far, anyway)

Hats-off to Karen at the Sprint store in Columbia, MD for going the extra mile. She was kind enough to go through a shipment of phones and pulled one with a tight and even slider. For whatever reason, the display on #3 has more vivid colors than the first two -- even with the brightness cranked down to the same setting. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts!
    Sounds good man.

Hopefully Palm worksout the defects that cause some phones to have the loose slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    #1 on June 13 (build date 6/8): dead pixel; sloppy slider (gaps & wiggles)
    #2 on June 18 (build date 6/6): very sloppy slider
    #3 on June 20 (build date 6/15): perfect (so far, anyway)

Hats-off to Karen at the Sprint store in Columbia, MD for going the extra mile. She was kind enough to go through a shipment of phones and pulled one with a tight and even slider. For whatever reason, the display on #3 has more vivid colors than the first two -- even with the brightness cranked down to the same setting. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts!
    I hate you That POS sprint store in Columbia told me they had a 3 week waiting list, even for replacement phones I'll try one more time, thanks for the tip.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I hate you That POS sprint store in Columbia told me they had a 3 week waiting list, even for replacement phones I'll try one more time, thanks for the tip.
    Are we talking about the same store? This is the one in Dobbin Center -- not the mall.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Awesome :]

Good luck with your current Pre device.
    I hope I have the same luck as you did. I will be on my 4th phone next week, when the new one shows up.

1st Pre: big white blotches on the bottom of phone.
    2nd Pre: more than 5 dead pixels, looked terrible.
    3rd Pre: hard to describe, but what looks like a big scratch inside the phone. It was a manufacturing defect. Sent pictures to Palm and brought it to Sprint. The said it is a defect.

Hopefully the 4th will be my lucky number.
    So, my local Corporate store told me that I'm only allowed one exchange per 30 days. Is this not the case, or is it a store by store policy, or what? I'm seeing people talking about how they've gone through 3 or 4 exchanges and I'm kind of curious how they're doing it with this policy.
    I was wondering if anyone has broken into the "Four-club."
    Gotta admit many of you have "stick-to-it-iveness."
    Is there a point where you say enough?
    I would have gave one replacement... maybe two... no matter what the product.

Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I hope I have the same luck as you did. I will be on my 4th phone next week, when the new one shows up.

1st Pre: big white blotches on the bottom of phone.
    2nd Pre: more than 5 dead pixels, looked terrible.
    3rd Pre: hard to describe, but what looks like a big scratch inside the phone. It was a manufacturing defect. Sent pictures to Palm and brought it to Sprint. The said it is a defect.

Hopefully the 4th will be my lucky number.
    I would love it if I had gotten a good one. The Sprint store that I got the 3 phones from was from this one Sprint store. I guess they have gotten a few bad phones, which I got most of them. The 3rd phone I took to another Sprint store, that was a little bigger, by the recommendation of Palm and Sprint (phone Supervisor). They looked at the 3rd phone, and right away said you got another bad one, after I told them the story of the 1st two Pre's. Plus, they looked it up in my account. They felt sorry for me. They said that Sprint noted on my account to allow me to get it elsewhere instead, because of how many bad ones I had got at the other store. They are going have me return the other phone and start all over again, like I didn't get one yet. The phone is too good not to keep. I been with Sprint too long, 10 1/2 years, and there is really no other phone I want. My plan is way to good to give up with all the discounts I get. So I don't care if I have to get 10 phones to get one that is acceptable.

The 30 day exchange is limited if you exchange say the Pre for a Touch Pro. If the phone is defective, and is proven to be defective, within the 30 days you can return it all you want. At least that is what I was told, and that is what has been done for me. If your own store gives you a problem, just call Sprint direct, and tell your problem and they will take care of it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has broken into the "Four-club."
    Gotta admit many of you have "stick-to-it-iveness."
    Is there a point where you say enough?
    I would have gave one replacement... maybe two... no matter what the product.
    #3 was going to be my last had it not been a improvment. I added the Pre as a new line on my account and would have just cancelled it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    The 30 day exchange is limited if you exchange say the Pre for a Touch Pro. If the phone is defective, and is proven to be defective, within the 30 days you can return it all you want. At least that is what I was told, and that is what has been done for me. If your own store gives you a problem, just call Sprint direct, and tell your problem and they will take care of it.
    Good to know, thank you sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    So, my local Corporate store told me that I'm only allowed one exchange per 30 days. Is this not the case, or is it a store by store policy, or what? I'm seeing people talking about how they've gone through 3 or 4 exchanges and I'm kind of curious how they're doing it with this policy.
    If necessary, you can just return your Pre for a refund and then buy a new one. You reset your 30 day trial period that way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Are we talking about the same store? This is the one in Dobbin Center -- not the mall.
    Yes, same store. I stopped by the one in the mall today as well, while I was there for other reasons, and the *nice* broken english lady told me I needed the box to return my Pre. No problem, I'll be back in 10 minutes. "There is only one left, and we can't hold it."

She wouldn't help my buddy who needed a battery cover for his Nextel either.

I think I just have been having bad luck lately...
    Just out of curiosity, I've heard some of you mentioning "wiggly" sliders. What kind of wiggle are we talking about here? I'm assuming you mean a side to side rotation at a right angle to the slide direction, but how much?

1 - 2 degrees

5-10 degrees

10-20 degrees

more??

I'll admit, my phone has developed a slight rotational twist of about 1 degree, but no more. I just assumed it was the slider "breaking in" and gaining a bit of "give". Should I be worried? The "wiggle" hasn't increased since it first developed, about 2 days into use.

Otherwise I can't say I've had ANY problems, it's been just great!
    Mine rotates maybe 2 or 3 degrees, and also shifts laterally maybe a millimeter, even when the slider is open. Doesn't seem like much, but it is very noticeable when talking on the phone with someone, as the top half of the phone is constantly shifting around separately from the bottom half.

I wish there was a way to tighten the slider or something, as the phone is otherwise pretty good.
  16.    #16  
    My first two both had gaps in the upper lefthand corner and the two halves would rotate/twist when closed. The 2nd was worse on both counts.

The techs at the store seemed to think it was something that could readily adjusted but without any guidance from Palm, they didn't fool with it.