Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    not sure if it's due to something or due to all.. but here's what I've done.

I updated to the new OS yesterday to 1.0.3

Today I called sprint after getting several messages 3hrs later and a few 14hrs later and asked for help to figure out what was goin on.. eventually they gave me my MSL and got in to reset / restore to the default settings.. and then into the ##MSL# (MSL being the number I was given) only to find out the MSID was never put into teh phone. it was all 0's.

After putting in the correct MSID, I've yet to see any SMS delays and have had the phone connected most of the day with Wifi and went outside forgetting the wifi was on for well over an hr.. and still at 10pm, 15hrs from leaving the charger, I'm at 50% battery.

Not sure if any of this has anything to do with anything, but If you're exp. any kind of TXT msg delays, call sprint and tell them you want to check your MSID as you're getting delayed messages. You'll need to speak to advanced tech support, but that's easy to get to as it seemed like noone in the 3 times I called today knew anything about how to program the pre's.

Hope this helps someone as much as it has seemed to help me today.
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a MSID?
    MSID stands for Mobile Station Identifier and is the number that is assigned by the service provider to each of its customers. The MDN/MSID/ESN combination are transmitted by the phone for purposes of registration on the network.

Originally all MDN and MSID matched, but due to number portability, the two are more increasingly becoming unpaired.

On all the phones I have ever used with Sprint, access to this is gained thru a programming step that allows you to key the MSID (which, like it says above is assigned by your carrier to YOU and your account) Easy to do if you have the right steps and information... I have always gotten this information online with Sprint when I change over my phone thru the self service optiion for activating a phone to my account)

Hope the info helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a MSID?
    In my case being person who has never ported a number to Sprint, my MSID (and MDN) are both just my 10-digit Sprint phone number. The ESN is often on a sticker on the back of your phone or in the battery compartment (and also on the box that your phone came in).

Quote Originally Posted by mdlsimpson View Post
    MSID stands for Mobile Station Identifier and is the number that is assigned by the service provider to each of its customers. The MDN/MSID/ESN combination are transmitted by the phone for purposes of registration on the network.

Originally all MDN and MSID matched, but due to number portability, the two are more increasingly becoming unpaired. ...
    You didn't mention the MSL (Manufacturer's Subsidy Lock). I always thought that the MSL was what you needed to get from the carrier in order to reprogram you phone. (Just curious if you can comment some more on the MSL too.)

EDIT: Oh yeah (in case it's not mentioned earlier in the thread, you can enter ##786# in your phone keypad to see these values (but not the MSL) for your phone. Didn't see the ESN. It's might to be on this same screen (just with a different name).

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/20/2009 at 11:27 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    So there is no way to see my MSID without getting my MSL? I just want to see if mine is all zero's too. Cause I have my text messages sometimes taking forever too.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    So there is no way to see my MSID without getting my MSL? I just want to see if mine is all zero's too. Cause I have my text messages sometimes taking forever too.
    ##786# will show the MSID.
    Thanks not my issue, my MSID is the same as my phone #.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    My MSID is NOT the same as my Sprint number - is that a problem? I now wonder if this is related to having been given someone else's receipt from when I purchased the phone.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    My MSID isn't the same as my phone#. Never has been with sprint.
    mine isnt the same as my phone number either
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    msid same as phone #
    Its my understanding that if you ported your number from another carrier, your MSID should be the temp number Sprint gave you & the MDN should be your current ported in number. Is that right??
    i think so, I recognize my MSID # as the one sprint gave me when I ported the number more than a year ago.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    MSID is not necessarily supposed to be the same as your phone number. I had to re-activate the 4 Pres at home due to an account swap and the rep told me that the MSID solely affects the Voicemail service. It is basically a representation of your phone on the Sprint network to show that you should have access to their Voicemail. I highly doubt that the MSID had anything to do with improving your battery life and SMS speeds. I think a simple reset would of resolved the issue.