Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    These are my thoughts on the Pre. I purchased it on Launch day and have had enough time to evaluate the phone/OS.

I would also like to point out that I am an Apple fanboy... Period.

Going back in time, I always liked my Treo 650 & 700p's because of the OSX like interface. While the phones were good for their time, the constant resets and quirkiness were a PITA.

Enter the iPhone. As an Apple fanboy, I was ALL over this one. IMHO, it absolutely slaughtered any device out there with its ease of use and stability. While it was not feature rich, the App store changed everything. (One year later)

However there was and is still one HUGE GD problem with the iPhone. I'm not talking about multitasking, battery life or design.

It's AT&T!!!! What a horrendous service. Dropped calls, poor customer service and price gouging. Thats their slogan!

Everything unlimited Sprint $99. Everything unlimited AT&T $150. Not to mention if you have a family plan that each and every damn iPhone has to have their own $30 data plan. What a joke. Also, sprints employee discount/FAN codes are easily put on accounts to further the savings.

So, on to the Pre.

It was actually an easy transition to the Pre. I find it very similar to the iPhone, but it is enhanced more for business users. With multitasking and notifications, I find I am able to get things done 3X's quicker than on my iphone 3G. Notifications is the Visual Voice Mail for everything else. Thats how I explain it to my iPhone friends.

The design and weight are spot on. Everything except for the USB jack is in the right place and feels natural while in use. The USB jack is a big head scratcher. Hopefully we will see wireless syncing options in the future.

Touchstone = Awesome.

Messaging, Mail and Calender all exceed the iPhone.

I have not had one dropped call. The Sprint network is awesome. It absolutely kills AT&T here in AZ.

All in all, a VERY strong showing for Pre 1.0.

Here are the things I am currently not happy with.

The document reader is picky when it comes to PDF's. Also Excel files do not scale properly and are a PITA to deal with.

The browser. I know everyone is caught up on this speed thing, but the browser can not do things that mobile Safari could do on day one. (Example) Why in the hell can I not view embedded videos like I could on my iphone? I do like the bookmark cards when launching the browser. That is a nice touch.

The music player needs scrubbing and the ability to preview the whole id tag before launching a podcast. (To see the date and or title)

And last but not least the battery. WAIT, you thought I was going to bash in this category.. wrong. The iPhone had its issues at launch. Hell, I remember a firmware release that absolutely crippled the iphone and caused mass returns. So in this case, for a 1.0 phone with a removable battery, I say the future is looking bright.

However, Palm has limited time to get this cleaned up. If Apple signs the iPhone up on Verizon, I don't even want to see the sales figures compared to Palm. They need to get Pre feature rich, and on to other carriers with attractive pricing and without crazy high cost plans before Apple can make this move.

They successfully snagged this customer back with one major tool. PRICING!

In summary, I would say the Pre to me is a better device than iPhone 1.0. Web OS will have to mature more for me to say that it is ultimately better than the iPhone 3G S. I will be waiting, and using my Palm Pre proudly until this happens.
    amen....
    Welcome to the madness...
    This is a very concise and well-thought out explanation! Not because it favors the Pre, but because it is a fair and (mostly) objective comparison. Thanks for your thoughts!
    Great review. I am currently trying both the pre and iphone 3gs. I decided to try both at the same time before the thirty day window is up and I have to commit for two years. So far the pre has performed very well. I love the features of this phone and so far the Sprint network has performed well.

I just received the iphone and have only used it for two days. This is my first time using the iphone and I am quite impressed with it as well. I would say the main difference at this point is the quality of the hardware. The iphone feels like a finshed product. The pre just does not have the same solid feel to it. My concern is how well this phone is going to hold up in the longterm.

I have two weeks left to make a decision and right now I am unsure of which one I will choose. I really like both phones.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    As I sit here streaming pandora, texting my son, and typing this on my pre, I have to say *Well said* Each phone has its strong points but you gotta love the potential of the Pre. Love the multitasking on this thing.
    I didn't understand one part of your review. you said you could watch embedded video on safari mobile. how is this done?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Sprint was the main reason that I went with the Pre. I was on Cingular/AT&T for a number of years and will concur that their customer service was one of the worst experiences I've had with any business.

Sprint was a breath of fresh air even eight years ago.

I've said it in these forums before that I am an Apple fanboy, and if Apple ever let's the Iphone on the Sprint network, I'll give it a fair shake.
    My thoughts exactly..I am very impressed with the operating systems of both devices. In fact the Pre' is better as a 1.0 device than the iPhone was...However the Pre kinda feels fragile to me compared to the iPhone. That is my biggest worry.

Quote Originally Posted by mtpowell View Post
    Great review. I am currently trying both the pre and iphone 3gs. I decided to try both at the same time before the thirty day window is up and I have to commit for two years. So far the pre has performed very well. I love the features of this phone and so far the Sprint network has performed well.

I just received the iphone and have only used it for two days. This is my first time using the iphone and I am quite impressed with it as well. I would say the main difference at this point is the quality of the hardware. The iphone feels like a finshed product. The pre just does not have the same solid feel to it. My concern is how well this phone is going to hold up in the longterm.

I have two weeks left to make a decision and right now I am unsure of which one I will choose. I really like both phones.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Nice write up! I am also in AZ and find that the AT&T network is terrible. There are dead spots all over Scottsdale. Since I picked up the Pre I've been very impressed with the Sprint coverage. Haven't had a dropped call yet.
    I have never been more embarrased with cell phone use than when I was using my iPhone, with all the dropped calls. I'd try to excuse them by saying 'but I have an iPhone'. Just not worth it - in retrospect, I wish I had just bought an iTouch, cause the device is truly a work of art, but the carrier cheapens it for me. But now with the Pre, I'm trying to be patient about all those apps I've bought being ported over. In the meantime, here's some more thoughts -
    1. I can text/write and email while not having service (in the subway), and they send as soon as I get service again (with iPhone I would just get an error or nothing would send)
    2. I want streaming radio, more than what Pandora does -
    3. I love being able to send a picture via MMS like everyone else except for iPhone users.
    4. Copy/Paste needs to allow copy of static text from a web page PLEASE!
    5. Please make the music player do the same with the answer button as the iPhone - 1 press = pause, 2 presses =forward, 3 presses = backward.
    6. Fix the stereo bluetooth quick - I can't find any headset that works unless they are less than 15" away from the device.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    It's refreshing to see an objective review like this... thanks.
    I have to say this was a very reasoned review of the pre and iphone. I was another Iphone fan here. Had the 2g almost since day one. One difference I Jailbroke it to Tmo here. For the 18+ months I have had it I've loved it warts and all. The last thing I wanted to do go to AT&T and get raped in charges.

Then came the PRE. As I have said before this is one of the better 1.0 products to be introduced. There have been issues with reception where I live that have driven me close to returning it. But I have to say even with 1-2 bars I can still make a call and hear the other person quite clear. Other then being difficult in known areas that VZ TMO have had problems. I have seen more places then not where I get at least 3 bars if not 4-5 bars.

Anyhow, I thought today let me see what the 3GS is like. Well went to the main mall in Paramus here, Garden State Plaza. They have both an Apple store and an AT&T store in the mall. First I went by Apple. OMGawd, 2 separate rows of lines waiting to get in. I thought well still going strong after day 1 of being out. So I went down to the AT&T. They were busy but not like the other place. Then I found out why. They ran out of Iphone product. They did have the demo units on display. So i tried the 16gb unit. Was same as always felt a lil faster. What I didn't expect was the network. Even with full bars on the Iphone and 3g enabled. My Pre was smoking the Iphone in pulling content.

I had been on the fence before this. After today my decision has been made much easier. I think i'll be on Sprint for 2 years enjoying the refinement of My PRE here. Let them suffer on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorleto View Post
    6. Fix the stereo bluetooth quick - I can't find any headset that works unless they are less than 15" away from the device.
    My S9-HD's work great.
    you are NOT an apple fanboy, thats a really good thing. at least not with the mobile devices

good review
    Thanks for the review. I think I am going to print out copies and keep them on me, hand them out when idiots ask me why I didn't buy an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post
    Thanks for the review. I think I am going to print out copies and keep them on me, hand them out when idiots ask me why I didn't buy an iPhone.
    I kinda feel for them to paraphrase " They know not what they do or want".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post
    This
    Great observation! Especially coming from a former IPhone user.

I have never owned the IPhone, but I have friends that do. I'm not sure what their experience is like, but I can tell you that I had a 30 min Pre session at a local Target (patio section.. while the wifey shopped...haha) today that was simply AMAZING!!

Going from one app to the other to another was sooooo easy. Facebook, messaging (love the interface), espn, calendar...totally awesome!! Showing someone isn't enough...you have to actually experience it to truly understand and appreciate what multitasking is all about.

And to do what they did with notifications....GENIUS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    I didn't understand one part of your review. you said you could watch embedded video on safari mobile. how is this done?
    The embedded video would often offer a link that would open up the YouTube app to play the video. I agree that this would be a nice feature in WebOS (or just flash)!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast