Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I have to say, I am super anal. When I get something new I expect it to be perfect, that said I got my first Pre the day it launched.

    It worked flawlessly, but had those little cloudy blotches at the bottom of the screen right above the gesture area, wasn't that bad to be honest but enough that I wanted a replacement.

    I get a replacement a few days later, and now the screen has an enormous amount of play! and also when I'd take it out of my pocket I could feel it clicking due to having space between the screen and the bottom part. Anyways I just replaced that one today.

    The one I got now, I checked thoroughly today and it was flawless! No play in the screen, screen seems awesome, and I get home and BAM there go the blotches again!

    I have to say after using the Pre for 2 weeks I definitely don't want to go back to my Centro, so I will live with the blotches at the bottom because they are noticeable to me, but in reality they aren't that bad and what I've read on here they are pretty common.

    I tried the trick of turning the phone off, flipping it over and letting it cool and it seemed to help get rid of the intensity of one, and I'll try it again tonight while I sleep.

    Anyways just wanted to share my experience, 3 Pre's all with defects, talk about terrible craftsmanship. Makes me wish iPhones were available with Sprint.
  2. #2  
    Having three phones with this issue, do you think it definitely is heat that is causing the blotches?
  3. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
       #3  
    Well the 2nd phone I had didn't have the blotch issue, just a super wobbly screen. The latest one I have has the same issue as the first, the blotches, but let me say this.

    I read on here that you should turn the phone off, flip it over, and let it cool. I did that for about two hours and now they are barely noticeable. When I go to sleep tonight I am going to turn the phone off and leave it upside down and see if it fully disappears tomorrow morning. Doing that for 2 hours really seemed to help a lot.

    Do you have this issue also? I am reading on here that it is common. To be totally honest having another phone doing the same thing I am not too annoyed with it anymore and probably won't go to switch the phone out due to everything else working flawlessly. I just don't want to risk getting anything worse since this one is just a minor pet peeve, ya it has blotches but I can still fully read and enjoy the screen.
  4. #4  
    Dude, I have/had the exact same experience as you. I got my first Pre this morning and it had the blotches right above the gesture area. I went in for a replacement and got my second Pre and it had a super wobbly screen. Tomorrow I'm going to go in AGAIN and see what other defect I can find in my soon to be third Pre. I totally get what you mean about being picky.

    Did they give you any trouble about any of your replacements?

    Wish me luck...
  5. #5  
    Dude me three! Same exact issue and also on my third pre. I even posted about this issue possibly being caused by the touchstone but I realized it has to do with heat and palm is aware of this issue. Here is the link:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-culprit.html
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    So I have to say, I am super anal. When I get something new I expect it to be perfect, that said I got my first Pre the day it launched.
    That made me LOL right there..

    You are super anal yet you buy a first gen phone? Needless to say I don't think you will ever find a "flawless" pre to your standards, wait for the next gen phone or get a phone that has been out for awhile
  7. #7  
    No, honestly I have a 1st gen iPhone and time to upgrade and on the fence... more tilt on 3GS right now.

    I like the WebOS... Wont say either is better but both should be fantastic to have and both have potential. I've gone through two years with OSX and seen the features grow and refined and etc.. over time they eventually give what the people ask and that I can see WebOS with same potential too. So both would be fun and useful.

    The hardware issues are just bugging the heck out of me. I mean I will be watching the iPhone sites to see how many people are returning for any issues in the next weeks but I doubt there will be many. But on this site... people are already on the second and third phone right now for a number of issues and it's concerning.

    The major returns from Apple were for negative black and I personally didnt think it was a huge issue (apple just didnt test the screens at deep angles but not sure if actual defect but an asthetic issue that is below acceptable) but you saw the volume of posts on it to see it was a real issue that Apple fixed by using a new screen. Otherwise I think they made a solid phone considerin the millions they've sold.

    The volume of issues for Blotches and other issues to me show there is a hardware issue and right now not worth buying or getting exchange in this batch because it's gotta be something they are going to tweak in future runs. I'm just waiting to see how Sprint/Palm are addressing it. Whether they will acknowlege and how they will fix like firmware for overheating and tweak in manufacturing and when the second batch comes out. Just not wanting to buy now and live with a Blotch because if it will blotch in the first days, what if it gets worse over time. What if the sliders are gonna over time rattle like a cheap toy later. Don't want to see that they will let these issues go by in favor for gen 2 Pre and and leave the first gen people SOL.

    SW issues I have no problem with as long as the phone works... HW issues no and right now just too many people posting the same thing and watching what's causing it and what they will do to fix. It's just me but I wont live with blotches or dead pixels or bubbles or loose sliders and especially in combinations of those issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Do you have this issue also? I am reading on here that it is common. To be totally honest having another phone doing the same thing I am not too annoyed with it anymore and probably won't go to switch the phone out due to everything else working flawlessly. I just don't want to risk getting anything worse since this one is just a minor pet peeve, ya it has blotches but I can still fully read and enjoy the screen.
  8. kjb
    kjb is offline
    kjb's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    #8  
    I haven't seen this on mine yet. How long does it take to manifest?
  9. tmoton's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    That made me LOL right there..

    wait for the next gen phone or get a phone that has been out for awhile
    This is true...
  10. #10  
    Donm, sounds like the Iphone will be perfect for you!

    I however cannot live without some of the key features for the pre and am willing to go through some work to get it done. Instead of returning mine, letting them activate it I am going to ask them to let me play with the phone before they bother activating. I will check the slider for wobble, if it does Ill say no thanks Ill wait until they get more, if it doesnt wobble I will turn it on and wait to see of the blotches appear. I doubt this will take more then one trip or one return if you check the phone before returning.

    Even if I could never return my phone, I can live with the minor screen blotches at times (you guys act like they are a wine stain on a brand new carpet).

    And I thought I was anal hah. As far as any HW issues after the phone warrenty is up (which lasts for a year btw) you still have asurion (or at least you should have). So whether these issues get worse down the road is kinda non issue.
  11. #11  
    My blotches were there from the minute it turned on, I just didn't notice it until I got home.

    So OP did you have any trouble returning it for a wobbly screen?

    Did they make any comments?

    Did you have to try hard to get a replacement?

    I'm worried because I can see some Sprint rep telling me to deal with it since its not a major issue but more of an annoyance.

    I just want a NORMAL PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by norml View Post
    My blotches were there from the minute it turned on, I just didn't notice it until I got home.

    So OP did you have any trouble returning it for a wobbly screen?

    Did they make any comments?

    Did you have to try hard to get a replacement?

    I'm worried because I can see some Sprint rep telling me to deal with it since its not a major issue but more of an annoyance.

    I just want a NORMAL PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    norm just tell them it is an issue that is well known and you are NOT satisfied with the Pre you currently own and they will be happy to exchange it however just to prewarn you, be preapred to wait a little bit as they will order one directly from Palm and put you on a waiting list. Good luck!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by norml View Post
    My blotches were there from the minute it turned on, I just didn't notice it until I got home.

    So OP did you have any trouble returning it for a wobbly screen?

    Did they make any comments?

    Did you have to try hard to get a replacement?

    I'm worried because I can see some Sprint rep telling me to deal with it since its not a major issue but more of an annoyance.

    I just want a NORMAL PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They wont just tell you to "deal with it", or they will probably get fired lol. YOU paid money for the phone, you can return it for whatever reason you want in the first 30 days, if they tell you its not a good enough reason then say it bugs out and crashes, they cant test it, so they will have to take your word.

    Also, this is why I encourage checking the device before and after activation to make sure it is an adequate replacement
  14. #14  
    This not good at all for Palm or Sprint or whoever in China put this mess together. I wonder if it's the design or the manufacturing. If it's the design, expect to see a new Pre sooner than we had hoped. If it's manufacturing, expect even greater shortages than we have now as they work this out.
  15. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by norml View Post
    Dude, I have/had the exact same experience as you. I got my first Pre this morning and it had the blotches right above the gesture area. I went in for a replacement and got my second Pre and it had a super wobbly screen. Tomorrow I'm going to go in AGAIN and see what other defect I can find in my soon to be third Pre. I totally get what you mean about being picky.

    Did they give you any trouble about any of your replacements?

    Wish me luck...
    They didn't give me any trouble, for like 5 minutes just told me "oh thats normal, software will fix that" yada yada but I said "nope, nope, nope" and they gave me a replacement.

    Ok something weird I noticed. After I got my phone and was charging it, I noticed the blotches, now that I've had it off the charger, they are gone. When it charges, it gets hot, could this be the issue?

    I cant even see them anymore now that its been off the charger for a while. I guess this is a good sign, right?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    They wont just tell you to "deal with it", or they will probably get fired lol. YOU paid money for the phone, you can return it for whatever reason you want in the first 30 days, if they tell you its not a good enough reason then say it bugs out and crashes, they cant test it, so they will have to take your word.

    Also, this is why I encourage checking the device before and after activation to make sure it is an adequate replacement
    Okay thanks, that's what I wanted to hear haha.

    Yeah I'm an ***** for not doing a thorough check the second time around... :/
  17. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by norml View Post
    My blotches were there from the minute it turned on, I just didn't notice it until I got home.

    So OP did you have any trouble returning it for a wobbly screen?

    Did they make any comments?

    Did you have to try hard to get a replacement?

    I'm worried because I can see some Sprint rep telling me to deal with it since its not a major issue but more of an annoyance.

    I just want a NORMAL PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They were just giving me spiels as to how it isn't a big deal, and how they can't notice anything. After I got them to bring out a few new Pres that DIDNT wobble, they shut the hell up and gave me a new one.

    I wasn't going to take no for an answer, if they didn't want to replace it I'd return it.. Pre is great, and it'd suck to go back to a Centro now that I'm so used to using it, but I'd do it in a heart beat if I got krap from them.

    Anyways the blotches have seemed to disappear, maybe they will only show up when it charges and go away otherwise? I can live with that.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    They didn't give me any trouble, for like 5 minutes just told me "oh thats normal, software will fix that" yada yada but I said "nope, nope, nope" and they gave me a replacement.

    Ok something weird I noticed. After I got my phone and was charging it, I noticed the blotches, now that I've had it off the charger, they are gone. When it charges, it gets hot, could this be the issue?

    I cant even see them anymore now that its been off the charger for a while. I guess this is a good sign, right?
    The blotches usually only appear when the phone is hot or warm, so keep it cool if you dont want to see them ^_^ (easier said then done right?)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    The blotches usually only appear when the phone is hot or warm, so keep it cool if you dont want to see them ^_^ (easier said then done right?)
    I noticed what helped ALOT was use the original battery door that came with the phone. Even though aesthetically the touchstone one is nicer, the original one doesn't heat up as fast, which in turn means no blotches. lol
  20. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
       #20  
    Also I understand the guy above, saying he'll stay with his iPhone.. I don't have that option. I refuse to ever go to AT&T and I actually like Sprint, and the best phone comparable to the iPhone Sprint offers is the Pre. It has issues, yes, but the one I have now seems to be the better one out of the three I've currently had.

    Could it be annoying, sure.. but I'll live with it. I plan on adding insurance to the phone in the coming days in case this gets any worse after the 30 days are up.. that way I can get a new phone without issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions