Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As many of you have figured out for yourselves, the Pre's speaker is much louder when you place the phone face down so that the speaker is facing up. This is especially true when the Pre is on a soft surface like a couch or bed. I've found myself instinctively doing what I did when I had Treos... simply flipping it face down when I use the speakerphone. On the Treos that's fine because the screen is recessed so it won't scratch if you place it upside down. On the other hand, the Pre's screen is flush with the case and slightly convex which makes it even more prone to scratches right in the center. Well, I flipped it without thinking on a stone surface and now I have scratch on my screen. Sure, this particular Pre is already scheduled for exchange anyway but I don't like it. The "riverstone" aesthetic is nice to look at and feel but in this real-life use case it gets a "Fail."

Everyone is going to want to get some protection for this phone. Even if you think a screen protector doesn't look good, think of how much worse a scratch would look!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    so hold back progress and keep ugly recessed screens because people have bad habits and tendencies? that my friend is major fail.
    One, you cant event tell a screen protector is on if its done right, two, they have hard protectors already for the phone that recess the screen for like 10 bucks. What more could you want?

What exactly is the point of this thread? lol, we all know if you set a screen against a hard surface it will scratch, which is why I am sure 99% of us use protection, or in my case, I use my stock cover to set it on
  4.    #4  
    The purpose of this thread is to warn people so they don't make the same mistake I did.

And truthfully I think from a practical standpoint it's a poor design decision. This very thing is probably why Apple shoehorns the speaker on the bottom of the phone instead of the back. There's no need to hold back progress. They could have simply put the speaker in a better place so people don't feel compelled to flip the phone over to hear it.

Why do people people have to get so upset when someone points out even minor issues like this? Do you really think the Pre is perfect and nothing could have been done better?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    speaker on the back sucks for many reasons. main one being that when you wanna hold the fone up and listen to speaker fone, your palm might graze that end button and shutoff the call. its happened to me a few times.

besides, no one likes to talk to their fones back side.
    Having the speaker on the back is very common for almost any phone, including blackberries, again I think it is a non issue.

If you use some common sense when it comes to setting objects on things such as plastic on metal, it will scratch. Which is why if you have this common sense, you wont do that, or you will protect it. Or at the very least you set it on the cover that you use to protect the phone in your pocket.

Maybe I am missing something...
    3 easy steps:
    1. Carry phone in the micro suede pouch it came with.
    2. Take out of pouch.
    3. Place face down on pouch.
    I would also like to point out they have no room for it to be anywhere else. Unlike the iphone the slide out keyboard is too thin for a speaker on the bottom, not to mention the feedback into the mic, the top has the audio port (which I LOVE being on the top). The front has the whole screen.

So yeah...I don't see many other options
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I would also like to point out they have no room for it to be anywhere else. Unlike the iphone the slide out keyboard is too thin for a speaker on the bottom, not to mention the feedback into the mic, the top has the audio port (which I LOVE being on the top). The front has the whole screen.

So yeah...I don't see many other options
    an iPhone sized speaker would fit on the sides. You could put the speaker next to the earpiece or down below / next to the home button. Or you could put it where the mirror is now-- at least that way with the slider open it would be raised off the surface where the Pre is resting. I came up with those options in 30 seconds. So I don't think you are correct when you say that "they have no room for it to be anywhere else."
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    YES recessed screens, bring them back! I love having a dirty edge around my screen that I can't clean. While we are at it, lets go back to 2.5 mm headphone jacks, resistive touch screens, and an antenna/stub too! That stub saved me 700 a couple of times...breaking the fall instead of chipping the corner...I really wish the Pre had one.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    hhm.. how about you just dont set it face down on a stone surfice?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    YES recessed screens, bring them back! I love having a dirty edge around my screen that I can't clean. While we are at it, lets go back to 2.5 mm headphone jacks, resistive touch screens, and an antenna/stub too! That stub saved me 700 a couple of times...breaking the fall instead of chipping the corner...I really wish the Pre had one.
    Nobody is saying bring back recessed screens. Don't be a troll.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by paumpre View Post
    hhm.. how about you just dont set it face down on a stone surfice?
    Well, duh, that's my whole point!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Pre came with that case for a reason. Use it or get nasty screen scratches. I pre will stay perfect for 2 yrs because I will use this case every day. Its 549 new so treat it that way!
    No screen protectors for me. Can't stand them and they are especially bad on a capacitive touch screen like the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  16.    #16  
    @deckmx1: I think it's silly to expect people to keep their phone wrapped up like a delicate rare antique. Remember first and foremost this is a tool that people use every day. It ought to be able to hold up to everyday use without babying.

@rc46: I've used screen protectors before and they work just fine without causing problems for capacitive touchscreens.
    clear rocketfish snap on hard case from best buy...$20 and your screen will not touch flat surfaces when u lay it upside down...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    clear rocketfish snap on hard case from best buy...$20 and your screen will not touch flat surfaces when u lay it upside down...
    Cool. Thanks. I'll check it out!
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Called a screen protector.
    Solution: Place your phone on the touchstone instead... The touchstone elevates the back of your phone so that it's not muffled, keeps your phone charged and you can still use it in speakerphone mode.
    Last edited by remix2000; 06/21/2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre