Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just polish the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    So hold back progress and keep ugly recessed screens because people have bad habits and tendencies? That, my friend, is a major fail.
    So true...
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by remix2000 View Post
    Solution: Place your phone on the touchstone instead... The touchstone elevates the back of your phone so that it's not muffled, keeps your phone charged and you can still use it in speakerphone mode.
    Unfortunately, I can't find a touchstone to buy yet. But even when I do get one, I won't take it with me when I travel, go to meetings, leave my office etc. And when I'm in my office I have a landline phone I use for business calls.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    Just polish the screen.
    Hmm... I hadn't thought about that. Is there a way to polish off scratches on the plastic without damaging it further?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    As many of you have figured out for yourselves, the Pre's speaker is much louder when you place the phone face down so that the speaker is facing up. This is especially true when the Pre is on a soft surface like a couch or bed. I've found myself instinctively doing what I did when I had Treos... simply flipping it face down when I use the speakerphone. On the Treos that's fine because the screen is recessed so it won't scratch if you place it upside down. On the other hand, the Pre's screen is flush with the case and slightly convex which makes it even more prone to scratches right in the center. Well, I flipped it without thinking on a stone surface and now I have scratch on my screen. Sure, this particular Pre is already scheduled for exchange anyway but I don't like it. The "riverstone" aesthetic is nice to look at and feel but in this real-life use case it gets a "Fail."

Everyone is going to want to get some protection for this phone. Even if you think a screen protector doesn't look good, think of how much worse a scratch would look!

You put your brand new $200 device screen side down on a stone surface....get a scratch...and blame it on the design of the device.

Wow!
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    You put your brand new $200 device screen side down on a stone surface....get a scratch...and blame it on the design of the device.

Wow!
    I think he needs to get an iPhone.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post

Wow!
    Yes, it is poor design decision.

And it was indoor polished stone in an office building. It's not like I was using it on a rock or something!
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    I think he needs to get an iPhone.
    Really? Can none of you troll fanboys not admit that this could have been designed a little better for speaker phone use? Is there no area of the Pre that you are willing to admit is not perfect?
    How exactly is this a poor design? Most phones have speakers on the back. My mom's dumbphone has a speaker on the back. My dad's dumbphone has a speaker on the back. My old BlackBerry has a speaker on the back. My old HTC Touch has a speaker on the back.

It's not Palm's fault you placed your phone screen side down on a hard surface.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    How exactly is this a poor design?
    It's a poor design because the phone also has a flush screen which means the screen is not protected by being recessed (but I admit flush is much nicer looking). It's a poor design because the screen is easy to scratch plastic instead of much more scratch resistant (but more expensive) glass. It's a poor design because in order to get the maximum loudness out of the speaker you have to flip it so that the phone is resting on the unprotected screen. Are you really so rigid that you can't admit that because of this it would have been better to design the phone with the speaker somewhere else like Apple did with the iPhone? I've given you reasons why having the speaker someplace else would be better. Now you give me a reason why you think putting the speaker on the back was a better idea.

Telling people "well you just shouldn't have done that" is like selling a car with lousy brakes and telling people "it's your own fault for putting yourself in a position where you needed to stop suddenly" when they get in an accident.

It's a poor design decision that will cause some people to accidentally scratch their screens and it could have been avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Telling people "well you just shouldn't have done that" is like selling a car with lousy brakes and telling people "it's your own fault for putting yourself in a position where you needed to stop suddenly" when they get in an accident.

It's a poor design decision that will cause some people to accidentally scratch their screens and it could have been avoided.
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle: it would probably have been better if the speaker were on the side, so you didn't have to put it on its screen. There may very well have been internal design issues that made this not feasible. So it may have been avoidable, and maybe not.

However, knowing that the screen doesn't react well with stone, you may have chosen to put the phone on top of something else.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/21/2009 at 07:21 PM.
  12.    #32  
    You are 100% correct on both counts IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle: it would probably have been better if the speaker were on the side, so you didn't have to put it on its screen. There may very well have been internal design issues that made this not feasible. So it may have been avoidable, and maybe not.

However, knowing that the screen doesn't react well with stone, you may have chosed to put the phone on top of something else.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    clear rocketfish snap on hard case from best buy...$20 and your screen will not touch flat surfaces when u lay it upside down...
    Thanks for the tip. I bought the black Rocketfish hard case at my local Best Buy and it looks great and now I know my Pre is protected. As you said, it should also help protect the screen (although I plan to get an Invisible Shield or similar as well). Thank you again for the recommendation!
  14.    #34  
    BTW to whomever was talking about Blackberries having speakers on the back too: I just looked at a bunch of Blackberries at Best Buy and didn't see any speakers on the back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12