Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So guys, a few minutes ago my wife called me at work. On a whim, I decided to try answering the phone by sliding it open just to see if perhaps anything had changed since the update. If I remember correctly, before the update, sliding the phone open did not actually answer the call, it just brought up the phone app so that you could then click it to answer (or you could slide the lock icon up to answer it without sliding it open).

Imagine my surprise when I slid it open and it answered the call automatically! And then when I finished the call, I closed the slider and the phone app closed itself automatically as well.

This is a new feature right? I could swear this didn't work the same way before the update, and I even seem to remember a thread talking about how we wished the phone behaved this way. This is a new feature, right? Can anyone else confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    So guys, a few minutes ago my wife called me at work. On a whim, I decided to try answering the phone by sliding it open just to see if perhaps anything had changed since the update. If I remember correctly, before the update, sliding the phone open did not actually answer the call, it just brought up the phone app so that you could then click it to answer (or you could slide the lock icon up to answer it without sliding it open).

Imagine my surprise when I slid it open and it answered the call automatically! And then when I finished the call, I closed the slider and the phone app closed itself automatically as well.

This is a new feature right? I could swear this didn't work the same way before the update, and I even seem to remember a thread talking about how we wished the phone behaved this way. This is a new feature, right? Can anyone else confirm this?
    It did this before, it's actually kind of annoying because I wish there was SOME way to ignore a call, all you can do is answer it or silence it...
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    It did this before, it's actually kind of annoying because I wish there was SOME way to ignore a call, all you can do is answer it or silence it...
    I believe hitting the power button twice ignores the call.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Yep. I use it all the time.
  5.    #5  
    You sure? I could swear this wasn't the case before the update. I even remember specifically trying to answer the call by sliding it open and it not working. So either I dreamed that or I'm just crazy or it's something they changed.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    On mine, slide open auto answers the call. But slide closed does not hang up, nor close the phone app.

Although pushing the red button to hang up now closes the phone app.
    This feature was already available on version 1.0.2. It only works if the phone is locked when you get a call. If the phone is unlocked and you get a call, sliding it up does nothing.

Also, I dont think sliding the phone down hangs up on the person, I think the person on the other end of the call hung up thus closing the phone app. I have 1.0.3 installed and tried doing it but it didn't work.
  8.    #8  
    Actually, playing with it, I've found that simply closing it doesn't actually hang up the phone call. However, if the other person disconnects and the call ends and then you close the slider, that's when it closes the app.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    No.. it did not do this before. I am the one who wrote it up as a desired feature. Others countered that they would hate it since they often closed their slider after dialing to talk.

I haven't tried it since the update. Any chance that you managed to push the phone answer/hang up icon to make it appear as though it was happening due to the slide?
  10.    #10  
    No, I'm positive it was due to opening the slider as opposed to accidentally sliding the lock icon up. This was my first thought as well, so I started playing with it to figure out for sure if this was the case. It's definitely answering the call due to sliding it open.
    You should be able to close it to hang up. Not being able to do so is kinda dumb. This is what was holding my wife back from keeping hers. Eventually she had to change her habits and remember to do so.
    Imagine my surprise when I slid it open and it answered the call automatically!
    Why would this be a desired feature? Is there a reason to use the keyboard after answering a call?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    You sure? I could swear this wasn't the case before the update. I even remember specifically trying to answer the call by sliding it open and it not working. So either I dreamed that or I'm just crazy or it's something they changed.
    It's definitely changed after 1.03.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Why would this be a desired feature? Is there a reason to use the keyboard after answering a call?
    For one, I simply like the feel of having the phone open while talking on it, due to the curved shape of the phone while having the slider out. I know it doesn't change the position of the mic or improve the call quality or anything, it just feels better to me is all. So if I like it open anyway, it's nice to be able to do that automatically by answering the phone.

The other thing is that, using this method, I don't have to look at the screen to answer a call (using the normal slide-to-unlock method). I can pull it out of my pocket, slide it open with one hand, and start talking without ever have to look at the screen. Seems like it could be pretty convenient in some situations.
    I had noticed (in 1.02, and remaining the same in 1.03) that you can see the "RF MODE" (in ##DEBUG#) change from "CDMA 1900 MHz" to "Sleep" (momentarily) upon any opens/closes of the slider. This sort of indicates that something interesting is happening here. I wouldn't be surprised that opening/closing would answer the phone. thanks:

To reproduce:
    - Turn the phone on ("Turn off Airplane mode")
    - open the phone app
    - enter ##DEBUG# (on the on-screen keypad)

- Observe that RF Mode says "CDMA 1900 MHz".

- If the slider is closed, open it (or if it is open, close it).
    - Observe for a moment that the RF Mode text changes from "CDMA 1900 MHz" to "Sleep", and that it quickly changes back to the original text.

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:
    - If you dial ##DEBUG# while in airplane mode, it eventually populates with meaningful information, but the RF Mode says "Sleep", and the text continues to say the same thing through slider opens and closes. (The values appear to be live, so I think the phone is really communicating with the tower when in ##DEBUG# under airplane mode.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    Yep. I use it all the time.
    isnt it just once? Or is that only when screen is not locked?
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    isnt it just once? Or is that only when screen is not locked?
    Once is to silence, twice is to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Awesome, thanks!

BTW I'm positive that sliding up answered the phone before the update (when locked at least) because I tried to slide up to get to an ignore button and it answered the call (doh!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    click the power button twice to ignore
  20.    #20  
    Okay, well how about this. Is there anyone still on 1.0.2 that could test this out for us? Just call yourself from a land line and try answering the phone only by opening the slider, making sure not to slide up the lock icon on the touchscreen, and see what happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast