1.    #1  
    Thought I'd start a thread to capture some ideas for additional/advanced gestures for the pre. The idea is to not have to open the keyboard for many features. This would allow for equal usage in both landscape and portrait modes. It would also be nice if these were enabled in both edit and read-only modes. Maybe Palm will take a look and implement some of them.

1. [Gesture Area] + [Single touch swipe]: move the cursor
    2. [Gesture Area] + [Double touch swipe]: select text
    3. [Pinch on one side of Gesture Area]
      or [Gesture Area] + [Screen Pinch]: copy
    4. [Pinch on both sides of Gesture Area]: cut
    5. [Reverse pinch in Gesture Area]
      or [Gesture Area] + [Screen Reverse Pinch]: paste
    6. [Forward Swipe]: go forward (as in next page in browser history or next song etc)
    7. [Double Tap and hold]
      or [Tap and hold]: select all (and please, not just in editable text)

With some of these, I'd be able to compose a simple SMS, MMS or Email without ever opening up the keyboard. What Gesture Area-based features would you like to see?
    Last edited by taharka; 06/21/2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added tap and hold suggestion
    how about bring back grafitti! with something like your idea of pinch in to center button on the gesture area, have it go into grafitti mode so you can write on screen in either lanscape or portrait, then pinch out from center button to get out of graffiti mode.

then you never have to use the keyboard. hahaha

but it'd still be nice to have it for the one handed text entry.

I always loved graffiti. hey now with the advancement of handwriting recognition, you can make it to be able to choose graffiti or regular writing style.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    how about bring back grafitti! ...

then you never have to use the keyboard. hahaha
    One great idea would be to use a single letter of graffiti, anywhere on the screen, to jump directly to a chosen application. This could be done perhaps in combination with a tap to the gesture area or the orange key...then you graffiti a "M" to go to mail, etc.

This is similar to CoLauncher in PalmOS, or just a quick dialer, but for apps.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    How about a downward swipe on the app card to put it in the notification area?
    i wish we could do a forward swipe to go forward in sites, not just backwards, thatd be very convenient.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    i wish we could do a forward swipe to go forward in sites, not just backwards, thatd be very convenient.
    Added your suggestion.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    How about a downward swipe on the app card to put it in the notification area?
    Can you explain?

I see cards as currently running apps and the notification area for notifications only. Are you suggesting showing running apps in the notification area even if they don't have a current notification (like windows task bar)? Wouldn't that clutter the notification area? How would you tell the difference between a notification and a running app?
    Double tap or Tap and hold for 2-3 seconds - select all
    How about using the center button to select text since none of us use that damn button anyway lol