Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I just got home and tried the test again that I did on Sunday. Today, I am unable to reproduce the results I was getting Sunday. Now, every time that I try to connect I am getting the "Auth Error" on the Pre. Anyway, hopefully someone will figure it out, seems like this is a useful feature for a lot of you.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Does your MSL change from phone to phone, or does it stay with you as long as your number stays the same on Sprint? In other words, I know what my MSL was from my Treo 800w. Is that the same as what it is for my Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    Does your MSL change from phone to phone, or does it stay with you as long as your number stays the same on Sprint? In other words, I know what my MSL was from my Treo 800w. Is that the same as what it is for my Pre?
    Nope, it is different for each phone.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    There is actually tethering code in the phone! I'm guessing tethering (whether a hack or actually implemented by sprint) is not too far out. Other things - references to two more devices using this OS, code for other carriers including....GSM, etc. Right now, people have just played with ring cadences, camera timer, etc.
    Now that the webOS has been leaked and already being cut up like a party pizza, I think we will be seeing tethering as merely one of the many cracked features.

to the genius who cracks the tethering problem by early next week...I hope.
    Actually, bonus points would be if they manage to find a way to enable it without requiring the installation of a hacked ROM. No offense, I'm as much of a F'-around-with-my-devices kind of guy as many around here, but the average person isn't going to want to mess with ROM images. It'll also possibly get bumped out the next time an update comes down from the air, which is pesky.

We'll see what the hacking community finds, though. I've got my faith placed in them on this one.
    I wonder if there is some way to modify the iptables rules to forward the traffic. It has a ppp tunnel, then the two interfaces for network. So if you just do forwarding from the bluetooth to the tunnel device maybe that would give you internet. It already connects to the phone and gets an IP when I set it up on my mac. If anyone wants to look into that I just wanted to share the thought, I had enough hacking through the device for one night.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I haven't bought a Pre yet, but have been watching this thread with interest.

On my 755, I regularly use Bluetooth DUN. I never did the teather hack or use PDAnet.

On my laptop (Vista Preimum SP1 x86), I run Bluesoleil with a BT dongle and initiate a DUN connection with the #777 number for dial-up. (I have also connected my girlfriends centro to this machine using the same method).

My media center is a little different (Vista Ultimate SP1 x64). On this machine I also use a BT dongle, but use Vista's built in BT support. (Couldn't get a x64 version of Bluesoleil). On this computer, I make a dial-up networking connection with #777 as the number.

I haven't seen anyone try this method....

If someone with a Pre could give this a try, it would be great to know the results.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I don't own a Pre, but have been watching this thread with interest.

On my 755, I use BT DUN regularly. I never did the teather hack, or use PDAnet.

For my laptop, (Vista SP1 Premum x86) I use a BT dongel with Bluesoleil to make the connection, and dial #777. I have also connected my girlriends centro to this computer using the same method.

My media center is a little different (Vista SP1 Ultimate x64). On this computer, there is also a BT dongel, but I use Vista's built in BT support (I couldn't find an x64 version of Bluesoleil). On this computer, I also dial #777 for the dial-up connection.

I haven't seen this method attempted by anyone with a Pre. It would be good to see if someone could give this a try, and post the results.

Sorry if this appears as a double post, this is the first time I put something on Precentral and had a problem with the first attempt.
    Last edited by paragrin; 06/11/2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammer
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paragrin View Post

For my laptop, (Vista SP1 Premum x86) I use a BT dongel with Bluesoleil to make the connection, and dial #777. I have also connected my girlriends centro to this computer using the same method.

My media center is a little different (Vista SP1 Ultimate x64). On this computer, there is also a BT dongel, but I use Vista's built in BT support (I couldn't find an x64 version of Bluesoleil). On this computer, I also dial #777 for the dial-up connection.

I haven't seen this method attempted by anyone with a Pre. It would be good to see if someone could give this a try, and post the results.

Sorry if this appears as a double post, this is the first time I put something on Precentral and had a problem with the first attempt.
    On my Vista lappy, after I set up PAN, all I see is connect/disconnect, there's no place to enter phone #
    Quote Originally Posted by paragrin View Post

The Pre doesn't appear as a modem (not unless we get a 3rd party app of some sort that masquerades as such), so you can't do dial-up networking. Also this method generally implies completely hijacking the EVDO connection away from the phone and devoting it to the connected computer. The methods I have seen proposed in other threads (accessing the root Linux file system, enabling IP forwarding/masquerading and then connecting over an ad-hoc wireless network) seem to be much more useful/promising in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    You should not need a PAN setup.

PAN = Personal Area Network.

This is used for sharing data between devices, kinda like an ad hoc network over wifi.

The phone should be paired with the computer, and a DUN needs to be established. Try pairing the phone, then connect to network under the star menu. From there, you should be able to make a new connection.

Thanks for trying. :-)
    xcomputer man, out of curiosity, what would the below method allow which a DUN #777 would not? Thanks. (I don't know much about any of this...but the DUN method with the BB works well - calls still come in, etc. The Instinct would not get calls during the connection though - they would be forwarded to voicemail.)

re:
    "enabling IP forwarding/masquerading and then connecting over an ad-hoc wireless network) seem to be much more useful/promising in my opinion."
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    xcomputer man, out of curiosity, what would the below method allow which a DUN #777 would not? Thanks. (I don't know much about any of this...but the DUN method with the BB works well - calls still come in, etc. The Instinct would not get calls during the connection though - they would be forwarded to voicemail.)

re:
    "enabling IP forwarding/masquerading and then connecting over an ad-hoc wireless network) seem to be much more useful/promising in my opinion."
    Well for one it would free you from the theoretical speed limits of Bluetooth, for one since you would be connecting over Wi-Fi, and it would not hijack the entire EVDO connection like DUN does. The DUN method worked with my old 755p too. The no incoming calls thing is what I'm referring to by DUN hijacking your connection. On my 755p I would actually receive calls, but those calls would basically interrupt my dial up session and all data transfer would be interrupted until the call was completed.
    Thanks, another question: what are the theoretical speeds of the bluetooth implementation in the Pre, and is that slower than the Sprint data speeds?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Well for one it would free you from the theoretical speed limits of Bluetooth, for one since you would be connecting over Wi-Fi, and it would not hijack the entire EVDO connection like DUN does. The DUN method worked with my old 755p too. The no incoming calls thing is what I'm referring to by DUN hijacking your connection. On my 755p I would actually receive calls, but those calls would basically interrupt my dial up session and all data transfer would be interrupted until the call was completed.
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate what you said about the BT speed, but I thought that the Pre supports Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the data limit of this 3Mpbs?

The speed of EVDO Rev A is:
    600Kbps-1,400Kbps Download (bursts to 2.0Mbps), 500Kbps-800Kbps Upload (bursts to 1.8Mbps)

So, the top speed of the of the sprint network is below the top speed of BT...

I have the same issue with receiving calls on my 755p. Sometimes the call goes to VM, and other times they come through. It all depends on if data is being sent or received at the time of the call. It will take a special app/hack to "lock out" calls and text messages during a DUN session to prevent this. Currently, on the 755, if you tap ignore or only talk for a few seconds, when receiving a call the connection will not drop. Its inconvenient, but in my opinion tolerable.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456