Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    Also if you don't have your phone yet... an even easier way to get the MSL is to just write it down when the guys at the store need to get it to program the phone.

When you notice them writing down six digits, just jot them down yourself. Or when you see them programing the phone, just ask for the info. I get this info everytime I buy a new Sprint phone. If you are doing an over the phone activation with a CSR, they have to give you the MSL anyways to activate.
    I had my MSL when I was doing my number port, but I forgot to write it down cause I was somewhat delirious from drinking all night and waking up at 6:30 to go the sprint store. I even had to take a cab because I didnt want to waste time going to pick up my car. Hehe. In my head, it was a battle between paying attention and taking a nap.

I also agree that this thread could be closed, and a new one could be started with only the true information ( including notes about WiFi being on, etc) along with our current, valid experimentation. Only the last 2 pages of this thread are useful.
    Really though, anyone gotten any further on this thing? Seen anything related of interest in other forums??
    I NEED tethering or this phone is no good for me.
    Also of interest, using mobilespeedtest, this phone seems to be double the download speed of any other phone out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I don't care abuot the OP, I want some answers :-)
    Really though, anyone gotten any further on this thing? Seen anything related of interest in other forums??
    Also of interest, using mobilespeedtest, this phone seems to be double the download speed of any other phone out there!
    Average speed is 400K-1.2Mbps on my Pre. The peak speed I've gotten is 1.9Mbps, but not often.

The bluetooth profile does appear to support tethering but there appears to be an NAI lockdown from Sprint EVDO, meaning the tethering works through via WiFi but not EVDO yet. There might be a way to get a phone-as-modem account on Sprint if you want to pay extra for the feature. The OP may have been lucky to get the PAM option from Sprint, accidentally setup by the rep who activated his phone, who knows.

Otherwise, wait for PDANet to be released or wait for a hack of the NAI lockdown. There was a post somewhere with a statement from Sprint CEO that Pre will support tethering at some point.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I am getting between 900K and 2.57Mbps...and usually it's reading well over 1.5Mbps. This is great speed for a cell phone.
    I am getting between 900K and 2.57Mbps...and usually it's reading well over 1.5Mbps. This is great speed for a cell phone.
    So you got it to work or are you using wifi???
    This is just using sprint's data service and pointing the Pre browser to mobilespeedtest.com.

(not tethered and not using wifi)
    This is just using sprint's data service and pointing the Pre browser to mobilespeedtest.com.

(not tethered and not using wifi)
    I got ya. I am anxious to get this phone so someone needs to figure this out soon.
    No kidding. Hopefully if someone figures this out elsewhere on the web it will be posted here PRONTO.
    I had tethering working with my Pre (sort of).

I do not have a PAM plan and this was on a Windows 7.7100 laptop, and I made no settings changes on the phone, wireless was disabled on the laptop and the pre.

1. Discovered the Pre from the laptop.
    2. Joined PAN from Laptop (select access point)
    3. Received the "Auth Error" on the Pre
    4. Disconnected PAN and tried it again.
    5. This time it worked, I was able to browse from the laptop, Speedtest.net reported around 1.3MB downstream.

I really don't use tethering much, nice to have while traveling in a car, but otherwise I don't have a need. I was just curious to see if it would work. I tried it several times on Sunday with the same results, first time I would get the "Auth Error", disconnect and reconnect and then it would work. I spent no more than 3 or 4 minutes tethered each time.
    OK, that's it! I'm going to try it myself. Bought a bluetooth adapter for my desktop yesterday for testing purposes...
    Also, would you please describe in detail exactly what you did here:

"4. Disconnected PAN and tried it again."

Thanks!
    OK, that's it! I'm going to try it myself. Bought a bluetooth adapter for my desktop yesterday...
    Also, would you please describe in detail exactly what you did here:

"4. Disconnected PAN and tried it again."

Thanks!
    Sure, on the Windows 7 laptop, just as you right-click on the connection to Join Personal Area Network, if you're already connected and you right-click on the connection the option is Leave Personal Area Network. So I did Join then Leave then Join again.

Hope that helps.
    I don't care abuot the OP, I want some answers :-)
    Ronnie, I am making progress on this. There are 2 paths. On another thread we are making steps towards gaining root access to the linux system under webOS. This is the most promising for general open access to the Pre. Tethering would be included in this using the Host AP driver built into webOS. On the just tethering side, I did lots of research last night on setting up a Mobile IP Home Agent. I have found documentation confirming that multiple commercial network router vendors support this, including Cisco, Juniper, and HP. I now understand the hierarchy and I am looking for an open source/free implementation. My best bet right now is to get something running on a DD-Wrt router, which is open source and already has a RADIUS server to do the AAA. I have started a thread in their forum. Also, I got my MSL last night. I am running as fast as I can with this, between work and sleep
    Sweet emkman. Good work.
    By the way, about 70% of what you just said is over my head ;-)
    -ron
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcconnell68 View Post
    Sure, on the Windows 7 laptop, just as you right-click on the connection to Join Personal Area Network, if you're already connected and you right-click on the connection the option is Leave Personal Area Network. So I did Join then Leave then Join again.

Hope that helps.
    If we can get multiple people to confirm this I will go buy the pre today. This will at least keep me up and running until a better way comes forward.
    Also, apparently you might be able to update to the Bluetooth 2.1 driver for better speeds.
    I just tried connecting through bluetooth, and no love. Got the same Auth Error as the others did. I disconnected and reconnected maybe 5 or 6 times.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I tried doing it on a Vista laptop, no go either
    So did someone already try changing that Secondary Home IP number?
    Does everyone's phone have a Secondary Home address (within the data menu) ending in .76?
    So did someone already try changing that Secondary Home IP number?
    Does everyone's phone have a Secondary Home address (within the data menu) ending in .76?
    Yes, mine is 68.28.145.76
    What IP would you change it to?
    Last edited by alitovsky; 06/09/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    This may be useless, but someone posted this about the Instinct:

Start with the ##DATA# (##3282#)
    Select Browser (second option)

Go to edit and enter your MSL
    (Don't know your MSL?

Select Gateway 1 (second option)

Then, select G1 Primary IP (first option) and enter "064.233.167.099".
    Keep all the ports at default (80)

Go back to the primary menu (Power Vision) and go to SIP (fourth option)

Edit, and go to Data Gateway Primary (third option)

Enter "google.com"

Exit the ##DATA# and the phone will reset.

"WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM" free WAP.
    [/]
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast