Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seekis View Post
    got my msl and tried tons of stuff, but nothing is working...

if you want your msl just call sprint and tell them your internet isn't working. "follow instructions" until they give you a six digit number.

good luck
    Would love to but I'm not buying the phone until it can tether. I depend on that feature.
    Has anyone tried ##TETHERED# / ##88722366# to see if it works???
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Yes now we need someone who's not afraid of bricking their phone to get their msl and start playing
    I too got my MSL easily by just telling them I needed to do a data wipe/restore. The problem is I'm not sure if the NAI settings are accessible in the menus. As of right now I don't see any. So this might require some sort of software hack and I'm not sure if it's gonna be a WebOS hack or a deeper Linux one.
    I hope so or I may be waiting a while before I can get this phone. This is the only thing holding me back.
    Yeah, as far as I can tell, unless they disguised it with a totally different name or it's hidden elsewhere, I see no NAI settings in ##DATA#. Rawr!
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Has anyone tried ##TETHERED# / ##88722366# to see if it works???
    Does nothing, sorry.
    I guess it would help to know the following:

~what does NAI stand for?
    ~should it be a yes/no question? (on the Instinct, you have to set the NAI setting to "modem off" and it tethers...)
    So this OS is UNIX/LINUX-based, is that right?
    Are there unix codes which would lead the way?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    So this OS is UNIX/LINUX-based, is that right?
    Are there unix codes which would lead the way?
    Linux is just the kernel. The commands found on most Linux distros most likely aren't present.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    Has anyone with an MSL tried using a non Sprint IP for the Home Agent? To get free WAP on Verizon, I used to go into the debug menu on my phone, and change the IP and credentials of the WAP gateway to use a free one from Zaks Enterprises This got me thinking. In the ##DATA screen I googled the IP under Secondary Home and found out it is the address of the Home Agent( referred to as HA higher up on the screen ) See here: Sprint ##DATA tuning (changing Home Agent) : EVDOforums.com . I think the best bet would be finding some way to set up our own Home Agent compliant server which bypassed Sprint. Anyone with an MSL want to try this? Is it something more than a proxy server? Also, does anyone know what AAA refers to?
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Has anyone with an MSL tried using a non Sprint IP for the Home Agent? To get free WAP on Verizon, I used to go into the debug menu on my phone, and change the IP and credentials of the WAP gateway to use a free one from Zaks Enterprises This got me thinking. In the ##DATA screen I googled the IP under Secondary Home and found out it is the address of the Home Agent( referred to as HA higher up on the screen ) See here: Sprint ##DATA tuning (changing Home Agent) : EVDOforums.com . I think the best bet would be finding some way to set up our own Home Agent compliant server which bypassed Sprint. Anyone with an MSL want to try this? Is it something more than a proxy server? Also, does anyone know what AAA refers to?
    And why exactly would we want to do something like this?
    Because if we could get data to be transferred from a non Sprint server without being rejected, we would have tethering. I am not certain it would work, but I think it is worth a shot. It is the exact same thing I used to do on verizon, just at a lower level. If I tried to use mobile web through the Verizon gateway it would say it wasn't enabled on my plan. If I changed the IP of the gateway to a 3rd party, mobile web worked perfectly. The thing we want from sprint is wireless connectivity. I don't really care if they are the ones requesting the data for me, as long as they ultimately deliver it. If this worked and I could run a server on my home computer, that would be fine w/ me until a better hack came out. Now I understand that on-the-phone WAP is not the same as tethered IP connectivity, but I think its an option worth exploring, and I hope I have explained myself well enough.
    Emkman, well enough explained. Sort of...
    Just walk me through exactly what should be done, and I'll try it.
    (I have my MSL)

And by the way, on Verizon, were you signed up for data at all, or just voice?
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 06/08/2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    Damned interested to see how he pulled this off. I don't see anywhere to disable Modem NAI in the ##DATA# screen unless it's got a different name. Hopefully he'll wake up soon and enlighten us.

It's not a deal-breaker for us if the phone can't be tethered, but it was nice to tether my wife's Blackberry Pearl Flip to our netbook and if I can use the Pre for the same purpose that's just a bonus.
    Ok I have read countless post and still have no clue about how to use or where to put ##DATA# help please, or direct me to where I can read up on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by getyourmindright View Post
    Ok I have read countless post and still have no clue about how to use or where to put ##DATA# help please, or direct me to where I can read up on it.
    Well just go to your dialer, and tap ##3282# notice how 3282 corresponds to DATA, also check out my post here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-sprint.html

for all hash codes, should also help those trying to get tethering working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls729 View Post
    Well just go to your dialer, and tap ##3282# notice how 3282 corresponds to DATA, also check out my post here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-sprint.html

for all hash codes, should also help those trying to get tethering working.
    thanks you are the grooviest.
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Because if we could get data to be transferred from a non Sprint server without being rejected, we would have tethering. I am not certain it would work, but I think it is worth a shot. It is the exact same thing I used to do on verizon, just at a lower level. If I tried to use mobile web through the Verizon gateway it would say it wasn't enabled on my plan. If I changed the IP of the gateway to a 3rd party, mobile web worked perfectly. The thing we want from sprint is wireless connectivity. I don't really care if they are the ones requesting the data for me, as long as they ultimately deliver it. If this worked and I could run a server on my home computer, that would be fine w/ me until a better hack came out. Now I understand that on-the-phone WAP is not the same as tethered IP connectivity, but I think its an option worth exploring, and I hope I have explained myself well enough.
    It's an interesting idea, I don't think it will work for many reasons. I need my phone working 24/7 to deal with business so I'm not willing to potentially disable it for an experiment right now. But if anyone else is game please let us know if it works for you.

One word of caution here if you are not familiar with data mode, home agent and other settings and concepts in Emkman's experiment I highly suggest you don't try something like this unless you're willing to cripple your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Emkman, well enough explained. Sort of...
    Just walk me through exactly what should be done, and I'll try it.
    (I have my MSL)

And by the way, on Verizon, were you signed up for data at all, or just voice?
    On Verizon, I was voice only. The WAP through a third party just counted as minutes, so it was completely free on nights and weekends. The rest of the time it counted against however many you had in your plan. You can check the wiki I linked to for more details.

As far as exactly what to try, I don't think we have any server set up to properly replicate the functionality of a Home Agent server, but we need to find out more about how they work. I have found some good info on google. I assume you have your MSL? If you want to try the WAP server I used for Verizon, simply set up a free account at Zaks or PM me and I will give you my info, since I don't need it anymore. If it does not work, I don't think it will brick your phone. You should be able to just set it back to the Sprint settings, but I don't know if you will be able to see your HA Password in edit mode. If not, you will probably have to reset your phone to restore it. I appreciate your help.
    The easiest way to get the MSL is go to a Sprint Store, be nice to the guy behind the counter, and ask for it.

These guys are geeks just like we are. I got the MSL for my 800w by asking for it at the Store. I told them that I frequently noticed my phone was connecting to a Kansas City POP, even though I am in NYC which was causing the internet browsing to lag at times. So I wanted the MSL to hard code the NYC POP servers in my phone. Got my MSL from the guy in 2 minutes.
    Also if you don't have your phone yet... an even easier way to get the MSL is to just write it down when the guys at the store need to get it to program the phone.

When you notice them writing down six digits, just jot them down yourself. Or when you see them programing the phone, just ask for the info. I get this info everytime I buy a new Sprint phone. If you are doing an over the phone activation with a CSR, they have to give you the MSL anyways to activate.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast