1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I did a quick search and couldn't find anyone referencing it. I've noticed after applying 1.0.3 that my phone seems to switch between wifi and EVDO now. If I have a wifi signal, I never see the "EV" on the status bar. Then if I lose the wifi signal, it syncs up with EV. I was pretty sure that before this update, I would have wifi and EVDO at the same time and the phone would switch between them while connected to both of them.

I can't tell if this makes things slower or not - I guess it makes sense that if I have a good wifi connection to not even connect to the EV network, but in my house my wifi is sometimes spotty, so I'm a bit worried it makes things slower by taking longer to switch.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    mine has always switched to either wifi or ev-do, but never both at the same time.
    Mine has always switched. No change.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    ... I've noticed after applying 1.0.3 that my phone seems to switch between wifi and EVDO now. If I have a wifi signal, I never see the "EV" on the status bar. Then if I lose the wifi signal, it syncs up with EV. ...
    It has worked this way before 1.03 (at least in 1.02). There's nothing new here. If you think about it, 1xRTT is for voice and EV-DO (evolution, data-optimized) is not as good for voice. If you have wi-fi, then I think they're figuring you don't need EV-DO.

(Not sure what happens if you try to go to Sprint-TV. I know if the phone radio is off it won't let you get anywhere without turning it on first. Maybe it uses 1xRTT to verify you're a Sprint customer and then it hands you off to wi-fi. I can't imagine Sprint TV would work well (if at all) on just 1xRTT.) Has anyone figured this part out?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I don't think he's pointing out the function. He's pointing out a visual change in the status bar. I think he's right. Before 1.03, when you connected to wifi the "EV" icon would still be visible between the wifi icon and the signal bars icon. Now the "EV" icon is missing when connected to wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I don't think he's pointing out the function. He's pointing out a visual change in the status bar. I think he's right. Before 1.03, when you connected to wifi the "EV" icon would still be visible between the wifi icon and the signal bars icon. Now the "EV" icon is missing when connected to wifi.
    No, mine was this way before the update. When I just had WiFi turned on but wasn't connected to a network, you're right, the two icons for WiFi and EVDO would both be visible side by side. However, whenever I was actually connected to a WiFi network, the WiFi symbol would replace the EVDO symbol and it would be the only one visible. It's nothing new.
    It was always like that.
  8.    #8  
    Sounds like it was just something I never noticed before. Thanks for the responses!
    I would have to disagree. I am almost positive mine showed both. If it had a low wifi signal, the EV would eventually kick in but it still showed both. Wifi was on the left, EVDO in the middle, and battery on the right. It has changed since the update.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think you guys are right. My bad. Take a look at this Engadget review picture (before 1.03). WiFi is connected and no EVDO icon.