Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Notice how your Pre is nice and stable? When the app catalog opens up more, we'll see more apps, which means that most likely the stability -may- end up being compromised depending on what you have installed. It reminded me of Windows Mobile on how certain apps cause the phone to either: act slow, or crash unexpectedly.

    For example, I like how AIM integrated into my text conversations. I just hope that they make Yahoo, MSN, etc., available in this same format. I'm sure third-party IM programs will come out, but you will probably lose the ability to have the convergence of conversations in one window (they'd be in the app only).

    I hope this isn't the case for the Pre and that palm stays on top of these things and tries to build more onto the stock OS instead of having to leave it up to third-party programs to fill in what should already be in there.
  2. #2  
    Smartphones are basically mini computers. The more versatile the platform (ability to install apps) the more changes to the OS are made thus causing instability. Its part of the territory. Hate to say it but get used to it.
  3. #3  
    I think that"s the benefit of an App Catalog.
    There was one program that caused instability and it was pulled.
    WM isn't like that yet. If you install it on your own your hosed.

    There ought to be some measure of quality control with the catalog.
  4. #4  
    App catalogs are imply that Palm/Sprint have control over what you can and cannot have installed on your machine thus imposing limitations. e.g. the Slingbox app being limited to wifi so as to not compete w Sprint TV. pick ur poison
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Notice how your Pre is nice and stable? When the app catalog opens up more, we'll see more apps, which means that most likely the stability -may- end up being compromised depending on what you have installed. It reminded me of Windows Mobile on how certain apps cause the phone to either: act slow, or crash unexpectedly.
    Slowing down is certainly possible (even probable) if you load up your phone with apps and run them in the background. If apps can crash the phone, Palm hasn't done a very good job with PalmOS.
  6. rmackay's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #6  
    Are you talking about Slingbox on the Pre or on WM? If Pre, where did you get it? If on WM, where do you see the limitation of WiFi only? On my Treo 800w (with Sprint), I can use the Slingbox app in EvDO mode just fine.
  7. #7  
    i hope they screen the apps well enough that they aren't buggy
  8. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #8  
    I wanted a dedicated AIM app. Not feeling the integrated im in webos
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    Smartphones are basically mini computers. The more versatile the platform (ability to install apps) the more changes to the OS are made thus causing instability. Its part of the territory. Hate to say it but get used to it.
    Exactly. If you're not ready for this get a closed system.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalvet View Post
    i hope they screen the apps well enough that they aren't buggy
    An unrealistic dream. The built in apps have plenty of interesting limitations AKA bugs.
  11. #11  
    With the OS being basically Linux, and the Apps running as JVM, you shouldn't see that. Linux is arguably THE most stable PC platform. If anything, you should see APPs crash, not the OS. Sure, every once in awhile you will have a glitch and need to reset, or restart reguarly to clean it up etc., but it shouldn't be anything like PalmOS or WinMO at all.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    With the OS being basically Linux, and the Apps running as JVM, you shouldn't see that. Linux is arguably THE most stable PC platform. If anything, you should see APPs crash, not the OS. Sure, every once in awhile you will have a glitch and need to reset, or restart reguarly to clean it up etc., but it shouldn't be anything like PalmOS or WinMO at all.
    The Apps don't run in a JVM. They are not Java apps, they are javascript.
  13. #13  
    WebOS has plenty of bugs of its own which Palm will iron out.

    The underlying OS used, Linux, is notoriously stable and reliable (I have been a Linux user and programmer for 15 years). After a couple of WebOS bugfix releases you will find that no app-- no matter how poorly written-- will cause the Pre to have issues outside of that app itself. (Provided that WebOS manages resources correctly).

Posting Permissions