Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I just bought a Pre and am thinking of getting a Pro on Ebay to use occasionally. Does anyone switch between phones ever? Thanks.
    Does Sprint now have an online ESN swap? This is the only way I can see having multiple phones and not going crazy calling customer service every time you want to use the other phone.

This is one thing that makes GSM so great. Just move your SIM and you're done.
    Never used it but when I was on hold with Sprint CS the other day the automated voice was advertising online ESN switch.
    I use it all the time. It is done online and is almost as simple as swapping a SIM card. Just takes a few seconds once you are logged in. Don't expect this to work quickly if you are swapping Blackberries or older phones or older plans: that is possible but will require CS interaction by chat or phone. Even SIM equipped phones could get complicated if you needed BB services to work as that would also require CS interaction coming from a non BB phone so I guess it is comparable. For all it's worth the swaps could even be done on the Pre's browser or Skyfire browser on the Pro.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    I currently have a Touch Pro. It's decent, but want to get another Pre on the line soon.
    I have a Pre and an 800W. I use the 800W as a standby to log into an computer. The Pre doesn't have that app yet. I'm paying an extra $20 a month to keep the 800w on standby, but it's worth it for now. Can't wait for a similar app for the Pre.
    I thought they are charging you $18 per on-line swap now.

I loved my nextels and the Sims but never tried it as I was under the impression of the charge.

I would like to take my Instinct for connectivity and my Pre for when I don't need it./
    Can't you swap it in the first 30 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by SGSCharger View Post
    Can't you swap it in the first 30 days?
    I did it with my touch to my diamond. I tried to do it from my diamond to my Pre. Rep to me that I would not qualify for rebate if it wasnt on for 30 days and that their new policy is you phone needs to be on same plan and number for the 30 days now.
    I do have two line one for my son and I. The contracts are a year apart so every year I get an I qualify for an upgrade but I need to do a swap every year on the phone numbers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    I thought they are charging you $18 per on-line swap now.

I loved my nextels and the Sims but never tried it as I was under the impression of the charge.

I would like to take my Instinct for connectivity and my Pre for when I don't need it./
    They do indeed charge $18 for a ESN swap.
    I have used the online ESN swap 2 times in the last month (800W --> Warranty Treo Pro --> Warranty Treo Pro) and was not charged any swap fees. I wonder if it is linked to New vs. Refurb on the new phone? I have yet to be charged an activation fee and have swapped dozens of phones with Sprint over the years. As with anything, YMMV...
    What's the advantage to having more than one phone? For me I'm seriously into convergence. Last year I dumped my entire component stereo/home theater system in favour of a home theater PC with a very high end speaker system fed optically. My Home theater is so clean now all operated by one remote (which even controls the lights and ceiling fan). I got my Pre so I could get rid of my mp3 player -- well, OK the Pre isn't quite up to par with the mp3 player but the convenience into one device for me outweighs the "many devices" life style.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to pick up a Treo Pro off ebay for cheap and switch occasionally. This is not because I don't love my Pre I just get itchy to switch phones once in a awhile and am trying to stop that trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I use it all the time. It is done online and is almost as simple as swapping a SIM card. Just takes a few seconds once you are logged in. Don't expect this to work quickly if you are swapping Blackberries or older phones or older plans: that is possible but will require CS interaction by chat or phone. Even SIM equipped phones could get complicated if you needed BB services to work as that would also require CS interaction coming from a non BB phone so I guess it is comparable. For all it's worth the swaps could even be done on the Pre's browser or Skyfire browser on the Pro.

Its funny. I actually tried this several times. Even after the update skyfire just had about a week ago. I couldnt get it to work after typing the esn numbers in for the new phone. I have to say I have the Pre but still like the Pro better. Just waiting for the Pre to catch up....

For the record. I swap several phones online and NEVER been charged an activation fee. That would be nuts!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    They don't charge if you swap phones online. The $18 and $36 charges are only if you have and ESN swap at a store. I swap phones quite regularly since my son keeps losing or breaking phones and have never been charged.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    why not just add the line second line on a shared plan is free anyway.. thats what I do treo 800w because i can still get on 128 bit encrypted sites pre because the information management is excellent
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view