Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, two words...PANDORA AND MULTI-TASKING....I am a big music buff and I love that the Pre has a regular headphone jack, I use it in my car with my mP3 hook-up and listen to Pandora pretty much all the time and that I can multi task and don't have to close Pandora when texting or accepting a call is wonderful...I was a little upset with the Sprint service but after I refeshed network settings in preferences I'm getting an AWESOME signal.
    I love the pandora app too . I never used Pandora before, but its very very cool to have it on the Pre.
    I hope last.fm comes out with an app, I feel they play a wider range of music/artists. I find on Pandora I'm hearing the same songs more often than I should.
    The more channels you pick the wider the range gets. If you choose the quick pick it sould pull music from all your channels.
    Yeah but when you are streaming all that data in the car... you're not getting calls though or they have to try and get in between bursts right?

I like the multitasking but something I dont like is that you are going to miss calls with apps that need to use data. That's what I don't like about my 2G phone but didnt stream much on slow edge I don't like to miss a single call and have to be available all the time.
    just tried it, and it worked (even after i remembered to turn off wi-fi). i specifically waited to call myself while skipping songs and the "Ev" box was lit up, which i assume means it's receiving data. i tried it 4 times and didn't miss a call. conclusive? no.

i just started using pandora, even though i've had it on the instinct for a year. i like how, when the phone shuts the screen off due to inactivity, it will come back on in lock mode when the songs switch so you can see what's playing.

i also noticed the "higher quality audio" in preferences. cool. did not cause stuttering or lag. me likey.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    OK, two words...PANDORA AND MULTI-TASKING....I am a big music buff and I love that the Pre has a regular headphone jack, I use it in my car with my mP3 hook-up and listen to Pandora pretty much all the time and that I can multi task and don't have to close Pandora when texting or accepting a call is wonderful...I was a little upset with the Sprint service but after I refeshed network settings in preferences I'm getting an AWESOME signal.

Yup, I do the same. my ipod touch replaced CD's in my car a few years ago, and now my Pre has replaced that. I use it for all my music, whether that be music I store on my pre, or what I stream with pandora.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    I'm going to do something similar to what you're doing currently so I wonder how your battery life is? When I streamed music to my iPhone I got 3-4 hours worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Yeah but when you are streaming all that data in the car... you're not getting calls though or they have to try and get in between bursts right?

I like the multitasking but something I dont like is that you are going to miss calls with apps that need to use data. That's what I don't like about my 2G phone but didnt stream much on slow edge I don't like to miss a single call and have to be available all the time.
    No, calls take priority over data. When a call comes thru the data pauses and you can take the call or ignore it. After your call the data starts back where it left off.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    No, calls take priority over data. When a call comes thru the data pauses and you can take the call or ignore it. After your call the data starts back where it left off.
    Oh ok. That's better. On the 2g edge, if you are browsing and loading, when someone calls it can't reach you and goes to voicemail. I've tested that.

I figure wouldn't be as bad with 3g.

But when you are on a call, you can't go to something like browser to browse while taking right? Or check a map.
    The only reason I jail broke my iphone 3g was to multi task pandora.

This is an easy area the pre shines.

Calls come in fine. Pandora sounds amazing and I can respond to texts and emails without shutting down the tunes!
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    You guys did not mention that pandora buffers the WHOLE song than plays it.
    This helps greatly to save battery juice. My nokia e71 would buffer the song as it plays and many times it paused the song because it couldn't buffer fast. The way the pre does it is awsome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    You guys did not mention that pandora buffers the WHOLE song than plays it.
    This helps greatly to save battery juice. My nokia e71 would buffer the song as it plays and many times it paused the song because it couldn't buffer fast. The way the pre does it is awsome.
    Not quite. It won't always buffer the whole song. I've hit times when it would stutter and stop in the middle of a song. Its rare, and the buffering they do do is very successful, but it's not always the entire song.

What IS interesting though, is it will buffer the next song up before the previous song has ended, meaning that there's no wait inbetween songs (assuming you don't thumb it down or skip it).
    Ditto. Love Pandora. Never used it before. Though the stutter gap is sometimes more than rare. Am I doing anything wrong? Usually, I am driving whe Pandora is running. I have used pandora while parked as well (with decent signal). But love the app.
    Anyone notice that Pandora slows the heck out of this phone?

Gestures become unbeliebable jerky in other apps while Pandora is running.

Heck, sometimes It seems gestures are jerky no matter what, but its really bad when Pandora is running.

Does having it rooted make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen76 View Post

Heck, sometimes It seems gestures are jerky no matter what, but its really bad when Pandora is running.

No, my Pre isn't rooted, and has the same issue. I'm reasonably sure it's a Pandora issue. Keep in mind, all of the apps are "beta" at this point.
    I've noticed the majority of the sluggishness happens when generating the notification applet.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen76 View Post

Not rooted here, and my Pre does not experience any stutter or lag issues while running Pandora.
    Everyone gets so excited about Pandora on all the mobile platforms. I never got why people love this thing. I found the music selection lousy, didn't work to find things I liked, and I rather just use my portable music device to hold the music I know I will like. If I wanted to listen to "streaming" music I would just use my FM radio...
    Part of the fun with Pandora is the process of DISCOVERING new music. If you are a picky music listener like me, it will be quite difficult to like every song that Pandora picks for you. It's not possible. The song might have the same musical qualities, but if the lyrics suck or if you don't like that particular singer's voice, there's no way around this.

I'll be the first to admit that few of the songs Pandora picks for me are memorable. But every once in awhile, i will stumble onto something amazing from an artist I've never heard of before and this will just motivate me to create another station based on that song or particular artist. This is part of the experience. And, after you use it for awhile and build up a big list of songs to seed from and have weeded out the songs you don't like and reinforced the songs you do like, the listening experience will be quite enjoyable. Just give it a shot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast