Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Mine is about the same as before. I didn't notice any huge gains.

I keep it plugged in all day at work, and whenever I can at the house. It seems to get better each day losing less charge from the time I leave the house until I arrive at work, and on the drive home. I have also notices losing less battery life loss on my days off when running around town and doing things as time goes on.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre last Thursday, and i think the battery life sucks. I can barely go a full day 6am to 10pm without it draining completely. I am not even on it that much at work. However it is on par with my crappy centro. My question is when do you think they will come out with an extended battery? I would mind a little extra "junk in the trunk" for a battery that lasts all day with reasonable usage. They make this great phone but you are scared to use it because the battery might die. I need a phone that will last from 6 am to 10 pm the following night. I take a lot of red-eye flights and can't get to a charger when I get off the plane in the morning.
    Ditto on the battery improvement, hopefully it'll get better with the next update as well.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    sounds quite nice~~
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    What settings are y'all using for various progs to extend battery life? Took mine off charge at 6 am (100%). At 10 am after 10-15 texts, 20 minutes web surfing, gmail push, 2 hours wifi, it's at 42%. Have 1.0.3.
    I had good luck since I got this Pre (my 2nd one) - the battery life was decent, no major battery drains. I did the v1.0.3 update as soon as it was released last week, and continued to have good luck through the weekend and up until last night. I went into an area with TERRIBLE reception, and the phone got super-warm and the battery drained like crazy. I got home and plugged it in (it had shut off) and let it charge, but the whole time the battery and phone were very warm. Keep in mind, previously, I could stick it on the AC charger and the phone temperature barely changed at all.

30 minutes after taking it off AC power this morning, it was down almost 10%. Every other previous day, I could go a couple of hours and not notice much of a battery difference at all (with email coming in and some texts coming in and such).

Normally, when the phone is sitting idle, it doesn't get warm at all - but ever since then, it runs slightly warm all the time.

I had it on Gmail IMAP IDLE push, along with a Facebook account and a few calendar accounts. I'm beginning to wonder if it is either the battery failing or one of my accounts that is stuck in some kind of sync loop. I may try removing my accounts one by one and see if it helps. I dropped my mail check down to 30 minutes instead of "as it arrives", so I was going to see if that helps at all either.

I hope this isn't yet another issue with this Pre - this is my 2nd battery... the first one was causing the phone to shutdown when the slider closed. Sprint just gave me this 2nd battery as a spare.

Wow, this consistent trouble with hardware sure is fun!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    batfastard, you make an interesting point. I wonder if the weak signal issues are more than just the phone trying to connect to sprint's network. Perhaps if you get a dropped signal, some background process that was syncing gets messed up, and continues to run forever, draining the battery?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    The only way we're going to get to the bottom of this is to be scientific. That is, we need many members to post their overall configuration (what services and components are turned on/off), their relative signal strength and consistency, what email/contact/calendar accounts they've added and how they're configured, etc., and what their battery life is like.

I'd be glad to list mine here or in another thread, but don't really want to take the time unless others will do so. Not much value in a single or a couple of data points...

How many people would be willing to do this?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The only way we're going to get to the bottom of this is to be scientific. That is, we need many members to post their overall configuration (what services and components are turned on/off), their relative signal strength and consistency, what email/contact/calendar accounts they've added and how they're configured, etc., and what their battery life is like.

I'd be glad to list mine here or in another thread, but don't really want to take the time unless others will do so. Not much value in a single or a couple of data points...

How many people would be willing to do this?

I am willing to help also. I would think we need at least 15 to 20. 5 people to a group for testing. Same settings what not, another group different settings for the first group blah blah blah. This is the only way we are goign to find out what is with the battery levels jumping all over the place for people. I had great battery life before the update. Now I am down about 5% to 6% compared to before the update. Which is weird. What I mean is that at 10:30am on a normal work day I was at about 85% now this week after the update I am at 76% or so. Same settings nothing has changed expect the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    batfastard, you make an interesting point. I wonder if the weak signal issues are more than just the phone trying to connect to sprint's network. Perhaps if you get a dropped signal, some background process that was syncing gets messed up, and continues to run forever, draining the battery?
    UPDATE
    pomokey and everyone else:

I removed all of my Synergy accounts and watched the battery usage for about an hour. Previously during the drain-a-thon, it would have lost 25% or so in an hour... this time it only lost around 3-5% (which is a LOT more typical).

I then proceeded to re-add my synergy accounts starting with Google - and it maintained typical battery usage (no major drain).

I just re-added Facebook, so we'll see how that goes in another hour. I have a Nuevasync EAS account to add as my last one, but I'm holding off so I can see how Facebook does first.

Ultimately though, I really do think that it came down to my lack of signal corrupting the sync process for one or more of the accounts. No matter what I did to fix it - nothing worked until I removed the sync accounts. I rebooted the phone a few times and even pulled the battery (after shutting it down).

So if you run into this same type of situation, definitely try removing your synergy accounts and see if it levels off. If so, just re-add them!

I'll post back here after I get everything setup again to let you guys know if that ultimately fixed the problem for me. I am pretty confident it will at this point, because up until my bad coverage last night, I had NO issues with my battery or my synergy sync accounts.
    I've now done numerous days testing with email on various settings (e.g., get email as it arrives, wait 30 minutes, etc.), with various apps open and closed, etc., and I've average a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate every day I've done the testing. Throughout the day, the rate might be higher or lower, but ultimately I've taken it off the charger at around 7:30am every morning and it's below 20% by around 6:00pm at the latest every afternoon.

So BatFastard, your experience of a 3-5%/hour discharge rate is just about what I've seen some people experience, and it's about twice what I and yet some others seem to experience. There really does seem to be two groups, with one getting about twice the battery life of the other. Hmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I seem to be having another issue with the battery after installing the 1.0.3 update. Since I've installed the update, my HOT battery issues have returned. I haven't changed my settings (auto-push e-mail, wifi always on, etc.).

Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Thanks.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234