Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Has anyone made a desktop icon of the Pre ? I would like one for my Pre folder.
  2. enjoyingsilence
    Can you define desktop icon?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    If you use a mac, it has one built in and looks just like the pre.
  4. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-e esqe View Post
    If you use a mac, it has one built in and looks just like the pre.
    if that's the case, the icon file is in that drive. it ends with .ico and you can use that on any pc or mac drive that is removable, very easily
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Can you define desktop icon?
    Here is the many I have for my PC desktop. None are the Pre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here is a prprpr&#$275$; $icon$ $for$ $you$!

Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post

Joe
    Sir, that is sweet. Many Thanks !

Joe
    Thanks.

Anyone know of any reason why the icon doesn't show up on your desktop in Windows 7? Once I open the folder you can see it has changed the icon but from the Desktop it still shows up as a normal folder.

For those looking to change the icon, right click the folder, select properties and then customize.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Extract this autorun.inf and copy it and pre.ico to the root directory of your prprpr&#$275$;. $Should$ $do$ $the$ $trick$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $Windows$ $7$ $machine$ $to$ $test$ $on$, $but$ $it$ $works$ $on$ $Vista$ $and$ $XP$.

Alternately, create a text file with the following contents:
    Code:
    [autorun]
    icon=pre.ico
    Rename it autorun.inf and save it to your prprpr&#$275$;'$s$ $root$ $directory$.

Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Extract this autorun.inf and copy it and pre.ico to the root directory of your prprpr&#$275$;. $Should$ $do$ $the$ $trick$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $Windows$ $7$ $machine$ $to$ $test$ $on$, $but$ $it$ $works$ $on$ $Vista$ $and$ $XP$.

Alternately, create a text file with the following contents:
    Code:
    [autorun]
    icon=pre.ico
    Rename it autorun.inf and save it to your prprpr&#$275$;'$s$ $root$ $directory$.

Joe

Wow ! I wish I knew what he just said.
    For the benefit of Huncher and others that might not be used to monkeying around with this stuff:

1. Hook up your prprpr&#$275$; $to$ $your$ $computer$ $via$ $USB$ $and$ $select$ &$quot$;$USB$ $Drive$&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $pr$&#$275$; $when$ $prompted$.

2. On your computer, open up "My Computer" and double click on the removable drive "PALM PRE". It will have a different drive letter depending on how many drives are attached to your computer.

3. The window that pops up is the root directory of your prprpr&#$275$;. $Download$ $the$ $zip$ $files$ $attached$ $in$ $the$ $previous$ $posts$ $to$ $your$ $desktop$. $Open$ $each$ $one$, $and$ $drag$ $the$ $contents$ $to$ $this$ $window$. $When$ $you$'$re$ $done$, $you$ $should$ $see$ $a$ $pre$.$ico$ $file$ $and$ $a$ $autorun$.$inf$ $file$.

4. Disconnect your prprpr&#$275$;, $then$ $repeat$ $step$ $1$. $The$ $drive$ $should$ $now$ $show$ $up$ $with$ $the$ $new$ $icon$ $in$ $your$ &$quot$;$My$ $Computer$&$quot$; $window$. $If$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$, $hit$ $F5$ $to$ $refresh$ $the$ $window$.

Joe
    How does one save this for use with other standard Windows icons?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Thanks for the icon!
    Thanks for the icon!!!!

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    How does one save this for use with other standard Windows icons?
    An .ico file can be used when an executable file is compiled, or any existing shortcut or file type can be told to use the .ico icon rather than the file's embedded icon resource.

An example: Once you've downloaded the zipped icon file, extract it somewhere easy to find - your "My Documents" folder, for example. Pick a shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it, and select "Properties". The middle of the three buttons at the bottom will be "Change Icon". Simply click on that, point it at the pre.ico file and viola!

Joe
    Thanks, jallen3.14. For some reason I was thinking that .ico files had to be a part of the batch file of Windows icons in order to be used as such.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    For the benefit of Huncher and others that might not be used to monkeying around with this stuff:

1. Hook up your prprpr&#$275$; $to$ $your$ $computer$ $via$ $USB$ $and$ $select$ &$quot$;$USB$ $Drive$&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $pr$&#$275$; $when$ $prompted$.

2. On your computer, open up "My Computer" and double click on the removable drive "PALM PRE". It will have a different drive letter depending on how many drives are attached to your computer.

3. The window that pops up is the root directory of your prprpr&#$275$;. $Download$ $the$ $zip$ $files$ $attached$ $in$ $the$ $previous$ $posts$ $to$ $your$ $desktop$. $Open$ $each$ $one$, $and$ $drag$ $the$ $contents$ $to$ $this$ $window$. $When$ $you$'$re$ $done$, $you$ $should$ $see$ $a$ $pre$.$ico$ $file$ $and$ $a$ $autorun$.$inf$ $file$.

4. Disconnect your prprpr&#$275$;, $then$ $repeat$ $step$ $1$. $The$ $drive$ $should$ $now$ $show$ $up$ $with$ $the$ $new$ $icon$ $in$ $your$ &$quot$;$My$ $Computer$&$quot$; $window$. $If$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$, $hit$ $F5$ $to$ $refresh$ $the$ $window$.

Joe
    This worked fine for me yesterday. Now the default Windows "Removable Disk (F" is displayed. The .ico and .inf files are still present, and I have tried to refresh several times but nothing happens.

Mark A. Einersen
    I'm not sure why they would have worked previously and then stopped.

Has your anti virus updated in that time? There are some autorun trojans targeted at flash drives making the rounds so some antivirus programs are disabling or deleting anything that even smells like an autorun on usb media.

Have you rebooted the system?

pre.ico and autorun.inf files are still there in the root directory?

Tried plugging in a different disk, refreshing and then plugging the prprpr&#$275$; $in$?

Are you safely ejecting the prprpr&#$275$;? $Don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $this$ $matters$ $or$ $not$. $I$ $never$ $do$, $I$ $just$ $jerk$ $the$ $cord$ $out$. $So$ $far$, $no$ $problems$.

Have you tried standing on one leg?

I'm just spitballin' here. Can't think of what else might cause it.

Joe
    Well, it does appear that AVG updated yesterday on two different occasions. But how do I know if it's interfering? I ran an scan of my Pre drive tonight and it didn't detect anything.

I have also rebooted at least twice since I originally installed the icon. On each plug in of Pre, .ico and .inf files are still present. Although I typically never "safely eject" a USB device, I have always done it for my Pre.

I've tried standing on two legs (for added stability) while shooting spitballs AT my computer, but still nothing. Go figure.
    Mark A. Einersen