Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I was ranting yesterday because of the lack of Pre speed comparisons in early reviews, and I'm happy to see the follow up reports coming hard and fast. Despite proponents (this is another word for fanboi) on each side criticizing the scientificity (this isn't a word) of each test, I just plain think it's great.

What we are seeing here is a neck-and-neck comparison of two products with mostly identical architecture, which is nothing but good for us: each side can be expected to polish their OS by releasing incremental updates to outdo the other, and we'll simply reap the rewards.

I'm looking forward to WebOS 1.1.0! And I predict that Apple won't wait a whole year to bring out something similar...

The funny thing about these Smartphone Wars, guys and gals...we are exactly where we wanna be: sitting on the front line!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    +1 Our forums have become a bit too galvanized as opposed to being objective. I rarely comment on anything anymore due to this.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    To all apple fanboys:

Palm Ceo , had alot to do with the ipod.

Palm is now filled with apple people, so when you like the palm pre, you are liking a relative of the iphone.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    +1 Our forums have become a bit too galvanized as opposed to being objective. I rarely comment on anything anymore due to this.
    *chuckle*...I've actually started visiting iPhone forums to attempt to sift out more rational views on the Pre.

BTW, what I meant about Coke/Pepsi was that that whole Pepsi Challenge thing was BS. It wasn't like either product was going to change as a result of that. Here, however, competition is our Friend!
    It's more like Coke vs Dr. Pepper. Coke is more "popular" but Dr. Pepper hits the spot for me.

Also, Apple is just a heck of a lot larger, but Palm has done a pretty good job of catching up.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Got that right OP. This is good and getting better by the day. Aaah, the beauty of capitalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    To all apple fanboys:

Palm Ceo , had alot to do with the ipod.

Palm is now filled with apple people, so when you like the palm pre, you are liking a relative of the iphone.
    Hmmm... So. Iphone is our brotha from anudda motha?

Is our pre daddy dead beat dad? I hope iphone mommy don't sue for child support!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    *chuckle*...I've actually started visiting iPhone forums to attempt to sift out more rational views on the pre.
    Haha me too, and I've actually found a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Hmmm... So. Iphone is our brotha from anudda motha?

Is our pre daddy dead beat dad? I hope iphone mommy don't sue for child support!
    That's how it has ALWAYS been. Apple came out with the PDA, Palm came out with basically the same thing, but better implemented. Palm wins, PalmOS goes on the become the best thing since sliced bread. No real competition, and Palm rides it as long as they can... far too long. Finally, Palm realized their OS is dead technology, Apple comes out with the Ipod Touch OS, (which we all knew was going to go to a smartphone) and Palm started Fresh.

Same thing with Windows. Apple is what forces Microsoft to make a better OS. Fortunately, we can always choose Linux

Seriously, this whole IPhone/Palm thing really grates my nerves too, BUT as was said before, heavy competition is never bad for the end user. This will force both companies to really create awesome products in their own right.

The next 6 months are going to be an AWESOME ride with Palm, the next 1 year is going to change the way we see smartphones forever, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    BTW, what I meant about Coke/Pepsi was that that whole Pepsi Challenge thing was BS. It wasn't like either product was going to change as a result of that. Here, however, competition is our Friend!
    Actually, I had decided you mistyped the title, that you meant it is Coke vs. Pepsi.

You're right that neither was going to actually change their product over the Pepsi Challenge, but one thing that did (and still does) come from the PvC competition:

Price! There actually is a "soft drink sweeps" period, and because of the competition between the two, prices go way down.

We'll get product improvement (where we can) over iPhone v Pre, but we'll also continue to see price effects as well.
    This is my first time having a major flagship phone. I'm really enjoying going along for the ride. During the next year I'm looking forward to watching WebOS evolve and get better. Come next year with my premier account I'll be looking pretty for the Pre2 or whatever the next WebOS phone Sprint gets. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    While fanaticism is irrational it is also, at least for me, a whole lot of fun.

I'm an ontologist (the old term is logician) and I absolutely love a good debate. To me the debate itself is much more fun than being on a "winning" or "losing" side. It's the mental gymnastics that is invigorating to me.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It's the mental gymnastics that is invigorating to me.
    I believe I understand what you mean...but still. As a metaphor: I used to work in a peacekeeping mission with the UN. The first couple of weeks were fascinating; each evening there was always a fresh debate with colleagues on the status of things, what was going wrong, and most importantly how to fix it. After a year, two...and finally five, I'd tend to fall asleep in dinner parties where the same old arguments and frustrations were repeated for the 500,000th time.

I don't know if that's what Pedro meant, but that's how I feel. To better understand, let's take your gymnastics metaphor: pretend you're on the high parallel bar doing one of those grand swings around, then around again, and again, and again, and again...

Whups, I'm making my own thread off-topic.