Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator note: A homebrew on-screen keyboard is now available for the Pre.

So I'm hacking the hell out of this Pre and was creating a webshell in the browser when out of nowhere pops up an on screen keyboard that works in landscape and vertical modes. I'm really tired right now so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

And yes the people in the Pre Dev IRC channel will be trying to make this a reality in all apps!

UPDATE, PLEASE READ:
    There are many people who haven't read as far as the 6th post where we discover the on screen keyboard is not part of WebOS but rather from the program I applied called Webshell and only works within that program found here. But it seems people on this thread are still discussing other ideas that might lead to something and I hope somebody finds a way to make this happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/28/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    weird...so it was there the whole time?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Cool, are we able to access it with no hacking or else?
  4. joelpalm
    That would be so bad ***. How is it, is the screen big enough in your opinion to support it?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    AWE MAN!!! I think I just wet myself. Thank you, thank you!!!
    I think the screen size is going to be the limiting factor in having much use out of a software keyboard, but it would be good for quick responses without having to slide the phone up.
    I always thought it came with Webshell. But if it did I guess we could rip it out and make it part of webos.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think the screen size is going to be the limiting factor in having much use out of a software keyboard, but it would be good for quick responses without having to slide the phone up.
    That's exactly right. I want it for quick replies so I'm not sliding my Pre open just for a "k thx" type of message.
    It's part of the application (webshell).
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    That would be so bad ***. How is it, is the screen big enough in your opinion to support it?
    I tried it and felt good to me. (in landscape mode)
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Oh man, I love this platform!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I think most people are thinking what i am thinking; this is likely for future devices and test/prototype devices (and test environments). Doubt they will unlock this on the pre at all

But Being able to enter in URLs and fields while landscape browsing the web or other quick stuff would rock.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    I think most people are thinking what i am thinking; this is likely for future devices and test/prototype devices (and test environments). Doubt they will unlock this on the pre at all

But Being able to enter in URLs and fields while landscape browsing the web or other quick stuff would rock.
    What would be the benefit of keeping it locked up? Aside from being one less thing to support, that is.
    Wow, the keyboard covers up a big chunk of the screen. But it'll definitely come in handy when you need to enter text in a browser in landscape mode. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it out myself.
    That's just the WebShell keyboard: WebShell
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    That's just the WebShell keyboard: WebShell
    Never used WebShell before but like bkuberek said, "we could rip it out and make it part of webos". This thing is hack friendly like you wouldn't believe.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    What would be the benefit of keeping it locked up? Aside from being one less thing to support, that is.
    very little benefit, but my hopes are considerably low because of previous experiences with Palm, Nokia/Symbian, WinMo, and Apple/iPhone products.
    The way they all take feedback is selective and subjective. Up until iPhone 3.0 the only apple program the vert keyboard came up in was the browser.

The good news (i guess) is, as much as palm is acting like Apple 'Lite'. They are proving much more aggressive to making improvements.

Who knows.. Im tired

edit: I guess it doesnt matter anyways, ranting for no reason. Palm aint even hiding this from us. webshell looks interesting. let me sleep; brain cant handle all this cool stuff
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    what else is hidden???

Any secret hello kitty wallpapers????????????
    wow. nice, let us know how you did it?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    wow. nice, let us know how you did it?
    It seems the keyboard is not part of WebOS but rather from the hack I applied and only works within the hack found here. But it likely can be modified to work on apps in the Pre. The on screen keyboard was put on a target list of hacks to be done after I showed the Pre Dev people on their IRC channel.

It's now number 11 on the list
    pre dev wiki: Development & Tweak Ideas
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast