Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey guys, so i filed a claim with asurion for my water damaged pre. anyway, when i asked them if i was goig to get a remanufactured phone, they said they wouldn't be able to know. they also said that they didn't have any in their warehouse yet. however, when i got the confirmation email from them it says

"Replacement Model:

Palm 100 PRE reman unkitted S"

which, i take to mean, that it is refurbished? my question is, since i still can not track my claim online and it still says it is being "processed" does that mean that i might still get a new palm pre, and not a reman pre? also, what exactly does remanufactured mean, and is it really that bad? thanks!

Edit: Also, how would i know that the phone i get from them is remanufactured? will it say so on the box or something?
    Last edited by sxelsharif; 06/19/2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: need to ask another question
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    You could be getting one of the phones that was returned to the store by someone who gave it a test drive for < 30 days and took it back.
    Yes thats a refurb OR as they call it re-manufactured. I could be a broken one but fixed OR a returned in 30 days phone. Can you convince them to give you a brand new one ? and why did you go through asurian as it was under the 30 days and you should have been able to get a exchange at a sprint store I would think. Asurian usually ( not always but usually) sends refurbs.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/19/2009 at 11:32 PM.
  4.    #4  
    i had to go through asurion because it was water damaged. the 30 day warranty doesn't cover things like that...but the thing is, they don't yet have any pre's in their warehouse, so couldn't the conformation email that they sent just say remanufactured as a sort of place holder for what i will actually get? and even if it is remanufactured doesn't it mean that the problems that were originally on the phone were fixed? i heard that the only thing that is still the same on the remanufactured phones are like the motherboard or whatever, and everything else is new?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    You could be getting one of the phones that was returned to the store by someone who gave it a test drive for < 30 days and took it back.
    Really? How would that work? You think Sprint and Asurion have some sort of "back room deal" for something like that?

You did see where the OP said he'd contacted Asurion, right?

Accusations like this are pointless.
    I still dont think you should have had to go through asurian . Its not a 30 day warranty right now. Its a 30 day Return policy that sprint has. You have 30 days to return the phone no questions asked. I guess when they heard water damage they told you to go through assurian. But if you had just told them it just stopped working they would have gieven you a new one if they store had them in.

There nothing techically wrong with a refurb but the phones out 2 weeks. If I exchange it I want a new one this early. I can see in a year when its been out a long time etc.
    I think all phones returned are sent for quality checks and re wrapped ( gray box) and given as re manufactured. they are not supposed to be sold as new anymore i believe. Not sure how Assurian would get them.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really? How would that work? You think Sprint and Asurion have some sort of "back room deal" for something like that?

You did see where the OP said he'd contacted Asurion, right?

Accusations like this are pointless.
  8.    #8  
    well if you look at the reciept, the return policy is that it has to be "undamaged" and my phone was def damaged, and it was my fault. but ok, wouldn't a remanufactured phone, in a way, be a little better than a new one? because wouldn't it be fixed of the problems it had origianally? asurion also has a 12 month warranty on refurb phones, so i'm guessing that they aren't in horrible shape?
    Maybe you will gte a brand new one from Asurian. Just wait and see what they send. And yes refurbs are supposed to be fixed for the defects they had. Hey if you get it and it works then thats a good thing.
  10.    #10  
    yeah, vaccpalm, you're right. but the other question i just thought of is, what does unkitted mean? does that mean the battery and stuff won't come with it?
    Unkitted means all components not avaliable. I think its the phone nothign else. ( maybe battery?) you should have everythign else from the old model that broke.
    what kinda confuses me though is this. first off, yes i know the phone is new and supply is short, BUT, if you pay for a service and they can't deliver a replacement phone in a timely manner, wouldn't u be entitled to at least some type of discount from them? you pay them X amount of money per month to have insurance, but if they can't get u a phone w/in 2 weeks (hence a month total), y did you pay them for the first month. it's just something i'd bring up if they ship the phone post 30 days b/c if so, u paid them the first month for a service they couldn't supply. they could prolly take it off ur deductible.

oh and yeah, refurb r just checked and fixed of any known issues.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Refurb doesnt mean they fixed any known issues, it means that they could be giving you a phone that was damaged, and the necessary parts replaced. Im sure its in the insurance agreement that they can give you a refurb phone..thats what they did, at least when I was on verizon and I broke my centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by prekent View Post
    Refurb doesnt mean they fixed any known issues, it means that they could be giving you a phone that was damaged, and the necessary parts replaced. Im sure its in the insurance agreement that they can give you a refurb phone..thats what they did, at least when I was on verizon and I broke my centro.
    ok, maybe they don't fix the known issues, but they r SUPPOSED to. it's should go through QC and fixed. but as i can tell u with my numerous bb storms, they don't always do it.
    unkited S means single handset only basically just the phone and back cover no battery accessories or box or anything...
    Mind sharing how you damaged it? I'm always scared I'm going to drop it in the toilet when I'm taking a...uh nevermind.
    Can't refurbs come scratched? I hate that
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I think all phones returned are sent for quality checks and re wrapped ( gray box) and given as re manufactured. they are not supposed to be sold as new anymore i believe. Not sure how Assurian would get them.

Exactly my point. You take a < 30 day old phone back to Sprint, it goes back for QC and *could* end up anywhere. Notice the use of the word could.

OP was wondering what kind of remanufactured phone he *could* be getting and I was putting out a possibility. Does remanufacture the devices themself or send them back to the OEM for remanufacture and then the OEM *could* distribute them anywhere.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    At some point I read that the Pre will not be refurb but simply replaced. Was there a change in policy or was the talk beforehand whoi-fooi (not sure how you spell whoi-fooi... ooops I did it again)...
    You're lucky they replaced it at all because it's my understanding that the insurance is not supposed to cover water damage. At least on other phones they have a thing by the battery that turns color (I believe to red) that shows it's been water damaged and the insurance won't cover it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast