Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    You're lucky they replaced it at all because it's my understanding that the insurance is not supposed to cover water damage. At least on other phones they have a thing by the battery that turns color (I believe to red) that shows it's been water damaged and the insurance won't cover it.
    Sprint has two levels of what some might call "insurance": one is around $3-$4 per month and the other is $7 per month. I don't recall what the exact names are, but most people don't refer to this cheaper level as "insurance". The cheaper level more or less does what you say: it replaces a phone that fails but does not replace a user-damaged phone. You can think of it sort of like an "extended warranty". The more expensive level does cover user damage and lost or stolen devices. I believe the OP followed the correct protocol for their situation.

    EDIT: Yes, there is often a place on the battery that turns pink or red to indicate moisture or water damage. My wife has had a samsung phone that turned pink just bringing the thing on a vacation and keeping it in her bag at the beach. Mind you, the phone never got wet. It stopped working, and the indicators on the battery were only pink, but Sprint still said it was water damaged. I think we put in for an insurance claim. I think it might have happened a 2nd time, and I asked my wife to just wait a week or so, and the phone started working again.
    Last edited by sudoer; 06/20/2009 at 10:32 AM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  2.    #22  
    ya, i have the TEP program, so water damage isn't covered for a FREE replacement, however, i can pay a deductible and get a replacement. also, i just talked with asurion, and they told me that a remanufactured phone is a phone that palm (or whomever the manufacturer is) didn't builld; instead, asurion built it. they shred the the phone and take it apart or whatever, and rebuild it with a new shell and i think some innards might be replaced. also, they test it and make sure it is in good shape, whereas, he said, new phones are not all tested. so, now i am kind of hoping a get a remanufactured phone? just because that would mean it hopefully doesn't have any dead pixels or anything that i wil lhave to deal with later. but who knows what i get
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxelsharif View Post
    ya, i have the TEP program, so water damage isn't covered for a FREE replacement, however, i can pay a deductible and get a replacement. also, i just talked with asurion, and they told me that a remanufactured phone is a phone that palm (or whomever the manufacturer is) didn't builld; instead, asurion built it. they shred the the phone and take it apart or whatever, and rebuild it with a new shell and i think some innards might be replaced. also, they test it and make sure it is in good shape, whereas, he said, new phones are not all tested. so, now i am kind of hoping a get a remanufactured phone? just because that would mean it hopefully doesn't have any dead pixels or anything that i wil lhave to deal with later. but who knows what i get
    That is true. A Refurb at least thru ATT gets all new plastic and is re-flashed with the software. Thru ATT it is Tested at least 3 times before getting the okay to be sold. I wouldn't take a refurb myself when i exchanged, but that was because there was no physical damage it was a defective unit and I wanted a new one. In your case the refurb is your only option. I wouldnt sweat it though!
  4. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #24  
    I received a Pre yesterday from Asurion to replace my original Pre. The replacement device is brand new and came in the box. It had OS 1.0.3 on it, so it was a recent manufacture (i.e., after launch).
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    At some point I read that the Pre will not be refurb but simply replaced. Was there a change in policy or was the talk beforehand whoi-fooi (not sure how you spell whoi-fooi... ooops I did it again)...
    I think you're remembering wrong. They will not be repaired. Big difference between refurb and repaired.
  6. #26  
    Thought I'd add my 2 cents in dealing with Asurion in case it helped anyone out.

    Submitted a claim on Friday for my pre after dropping it and cracking the screen. Received the phone the next day at 10am...even though i didn't pay for Saturday delivery.

    They sent me a "Palm 100 PRE Black reman unkitted S" which appears to be a refurbished phone with a home charger (no case or headphones). I say refurbished because the USB port cover didn't fit on properly and the mouth piece didn't work (i.e. no one could hear me.)

    So, after the customer service rep told me it would be 3-5 days before they could send me another one because it was "back ordered", I talked to a supervisor who suddenly found a shipment and would have it sent next day delivery.

    My guess...they didn't want to spring for next day delivery the second time since I wasn't paying the $100 deductible again...so they tried to get me to accept a week.

    FYI - they also said I could take a "comparable phone", but after checking the rep said there was nothing comparable to the Pre and I would have to wait for the replacement.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    At some point I read that the Pre will not be refurb but simply replaced. Was there a change in policy or was the talk beforehand whoi-fooi (not sure how you spell whoi-fooi... ooops I did it again)...
    You either read a misinterpretation, or misinterpreted what you read.

    Sprint won't repair the phones on site, they will replace what you've got and send the defective unit back.

    The defective unit could end up being refurbished.
  8. #28  
    asurion is ok just as long get across the point that a hundred bucks + your old equipment does not give them the right to give you a crap refurb. i went through a span of a week and a half where they sent me three refurb pre's that had the oreo effect.

    i just went through the chain of command and they eventually gave me a new pre. i would have settled for a refurb if it didn't wobble so much, but the quality of their refurbs during that span was ridiculous. just ask the rep that you speak with to notate that you prefer a device that doesn't have that problem. everything else should "look" new.

    g'luck.
  9. #29  
    my recent dealing with asurion, was rather good.. the lady on the phone actually called sprint, and had sprint reinburse the 100 dollar copay.. also.. the phone i received was a brand new phone in box, with all parts.. i asked the lady what i need to send back.. she said.. just the phone, and back cover.. so.. i got a new phone.. with all accesories, spare charger now.. as well as extra headset, extra sleeping bag, extra battery.. now if i could find a battery charger, that done require the battery to be in the phone.. it would be awesome..
  10. #30  
    dgrobe, was this for damage due to a manufacturing defect, or self-inflicted? I'm curious because I just filed a claim through the online process. I dropped the phone in exactly the wrong spot last night, the screen cracked and it is inoperable. I can still receive calls, so I'm leaving it on until the replacement gets here. Apart from a slight wobble and loose power button, this phone was terrific - great battery life, beautiful screen and it worked flawlessly. I'm kind of wondering what the replacement will be like. The online process itself was very easy.

    Edit:
    I'm getting a "Palm 100 PRE Black reman unkitted P". Does anyone know what the difference (if any) is between an "unkitted P" and an "unkitted S" that Jason12 received?
    Last edited by starburst; 12/22/2009 at 04:19 PM.
  11. saabaru's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #31  
    is there any way to have them send me another pre/ pixie at no cost? i have never dropped mine and the screen cracked in the upper right hand corner(by the power button) and it was by no means "user error/damage".
    TIA

    ***edit...
    I called asurion and they wanted $100. im not paying another $100 on top of what i paid for the phone 2 months ago! So I called Sprint, talked to 3 different people to get an answer. Turns out, they cant send a replacement phone via mail. I have to go to a full service center to get another phone. That wouldn't be too bad...except, dealing with DC traffic, it will take me at least an hour to get there! Nonetheless, i will have to go tomorrow to get it. Sprint KNOWS about the "defective" screens cracking and all. On the plus side, I wont have to pay a dime for the new phone! =) So, if you have a pre and the screen cracks, DONT call Asurion or go to their site, you will pay $100 either way. Talk to sprint (however many people it takes) and you will be all set up! I will go get my new phone tom. and If I dont post back on here, that means I got it without problems!

    Sorry so long...
    Last edited by saabaru; 12/22/2009 at 06:00 PM.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by starburst View Post
    dgrobe, was this for damage due to a manufacturing defect, or self-inflicted? I'm curious because I just filed a claim through the online process. I dropped the phone in exactly the wrong spot last night, the screen cracked and it is inoperable. I can still receive calls, so I'm leaving it on until the replacement gets here. Apart from a slight wobble and loose power button, this phone was terrific - great battery life, beautiful screen and it worked flawlessly. I'm kind of wondering what the replacement will be like. The online process itself was very easy.

    Edit:
    I'm getting a "Palm 100 PRE Black reman unkitted P". Does anyone know what the difference (if any) is between an "unkitted P" and an "unkitted S" that Jason12 received?
    I too put in a claim today and am getting an unkitted P. Does anyone know the difference between unkitted P and unkitted S? I also checked my tracking # and its set to deliver tomorrow! Wow that's fast!!
  13. #33  
    I had to get my Pre replaced after the screen cracked and was told it would be a week for delivery. Much to my delight the next day I received a overnite package with a brand new Pre. Even though I didn't like paying $100 for the replacement that was what I agreed to when getting the Pre.
  14. #34  
    hey dgrobe2112, precentral sells the chargers. I got one, its a palm and has both the usb and the old palm charger power inputs! Its great, I had to buy a second. I had friends who had centros and have moved onto bbs and andriods and gave me their old batteries so I have 6 total now! That charger is t*i*t*s
    Palm prē-ist.
  15. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by saabaru View Post
    is there any way to have them send me another pre/ pixie at no cost? i have never dropped mine and the screen cracked in the upper right hand corner(by the power button) and it was by no means "user error/damage".
    TIA

    ***edit...
    I called asurion and they wanted $100. im not paying another $100 on top of what i paid for the phone 2 months ago! So I called Sprint, talked to 3 different people to get an answer. Turns out, they cant send a replacement phone via mail. I have to go to a full service center to get another phone. That wouldn't be too bad...except, dealing with DC traffic, it will take me at least an hour to get there! Nonetheless, i will have to go tomorrow to get it. Sprint KNOWS about the "defective" screens cracking and all. On the plus side, I wont have to pay a dime for the new phone! =) So, if you have a pre and the screen cracks, DONT call Asurion or go to their site, you will pay $100 either way. Talk to sprint (however many people it takes) and you will be all set up! I will go get my new phone tom. and If I dont post back on here, that means I got it without problems!

    Sorry so long...

    your going to have problems there going to say physical damage buddy they got me like that but my crack is on USB port
  16. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    I too put in a claim today and am getting an unkitted P. Does anyone know the difference between unkitted P and unkitted S? I also checked my tracking # and its set to deliver tomorrow! Wow that's fast!!
    same here what is the difference I am receiving "

    Palm 100 PRE Black reman unkitted P
  17. NxTech3's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    your going to have problems there going to say physical damage buddy they got me like that but my crack is on USB port
    yea, unfortunately, any physical damage on the device wont be covered under warranty or S&R. Even seeing any green corrosion on the copper right underneath the battery door, we are supposed to send to Asurion.
  18. saabaru's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #38  
    ***UPDATE
    Bipoler- same thing. They said it was physical damage caused be ME while the phone was in the sleeping bag in MY POCKET! Bullsh*t! so either I pay $100 and get the Pre replaced, or upgrade my phone (AGAIN)...I'm not happy with this right now.
  19. #39  
    I just got my remanufactured phone - this was an "unkitted P". No battery or charger - fine by me, my old ones were great. So, I guess that's the difference between the "P" and the "S". The phone seems very solid, no wobble, the slider seems crisp. The power button wiggles a little but so did my first one. No dead pixels. I'll activate it tonight after using WebOS doctor to wipe everything off of my first one.
  20. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by saabaru View Post
    ***UPDATE
    Bipoler- same thing. They said it was physical damage caused be ME while the phone was in the sleeping bag in MY POCKET! Bullsh*t! so either I pay $100 and get the Pre replaced, or upgrade my phone (AGAIN)...I'm not happy with this right now.
    I feel you! Im so tired of this crappy hardware I can not wait to get a new phonne Im buying the next new Blackberry prolly then I will return to the Pre 3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions