Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    (Re-posting. Accidentally posted earlier in the wrong place )

So, I picked up the Pre thinking I had 30 days to see if the Pre was for me and if I didn't like it I could always return it and cancel my contract.

I got curious and actually read the fine print and it went something like this:

If you're completely satisfied with the phone/service withing 30 days:
    - Return the device undamaged and deactivate your service
    - They will refund the activation fee and waive the early termination fee
    - A $35 restocking fee may (most likely) apply
    Ok, here comes the doozy
    - In all instances, you are responsible for all charges based on actual usage

Well, I didn't consider that part before! So many of us probably used plenty of 3G data on our Pre's. Even if we were to use Sprint's 30-day guarantee, wouldn't we owe quite the bit of change?

Well, now that I came to the realization of this, I'm kind of reluctant of using the hell out of my phone.

Any thoughts/experiences? (This isn't a return/whine thread. Just wondering how Sprint's 30-day guarantee turns out if anyone decides to go with it.)
    why would any company give you a free month of service?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMPRIDE View Post
    - In all instances, you are responsible for all charges based on actual usage
    I'm assuming they'd just charge you that first bill...not just data usage, know what I mean? At least, that's what we do at VZW...you just pay whatever you had on your phone...like a prorate charge.

It could be different on Sprint...I'm still within my first 30 days, too, and I think that's super shady if they charged differently. However, my CS experience thus far has been less than wonderful, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised...lol.

Ah, what I do for my Pre...my boss threatened to disown me haha.
    all that means is that you will have to pay for your plan it self for one month, nobody will give you nothing for free
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    why would any company give you a free month of service?
    And you're completely right. It's just that it didn't really cross my mind until I read the fineprint. If someone used something like a GB worth of data over the 30 days and decided to cancel, then they would have to pay something like a $1,000 to use their 30-day guarantee (which is pointless since paying early termination would be cheaper than that).
    The usage would have been under the "everything (data) plan"... they shouldn't charge you on a per byte basis upon cancellation. Worst case scenario, you get charged one month's worth of service.
    And you're completely right. It's just that it didn't really cross my mind until I read the fineprint. If someone used something like a GB worth of data over the 30 days and decided to cancel, then they would have to pay something like a $1,000 to use their 30-day guarantee (which is pointless since paying early termination would be cheaper than that).
    they will bill you at the unlimited data 1 month pricing (your plan)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    all that means is that you will have to pay for your plan it self for one month, nobody will give you nothing for free
    If that's the case, that perfectly reasonable. I'm just unsure how Sprint handles this part of the deal. If they charge by the minute and the mb of data, we're all pretty much screwed.
    yes, you just pay for the plan you signed up for
    Why would you expect to pay for anything other than the service you signed up for? Since the Pre requires an unlimited data plan, that's what you'll be responsible for as prorated for the amount of time you used it. I hardly think Sprint has any intention to retroactively change the plan you signed up for and calculate charges based on some undisclosed cost structure.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    If that's the case, that perfectly reasonable. I'm just unsure how Sprint handles this part of the deal. If they charge by the minute and the mb of data, we're all pretty much screwed.
    They don't. If you use it for 2 weeks then they'll charge you for 1/2 a month on whatever your monthly plan you're on.
    I can understand paying for the month of service. What is not said is how time, travel, and aggrevation one can endure. I have two Pre's and my wife and I will likely return them in another week.

We have spent about an hour or more on the phone with Sprint talking about the signal issues. We drove back to the store to see if they could do anything. We have had to carry work phones to make calls back and forth to one another.

I had a death in the family and could not be reached for 24 hours because all my incoming calls were going to v-mail due to signal issues.

I hated (and still do) Verizon's exhorbitant pricing and poor phone choices, but man-o-man did the voice part of the phones always work flawlessly.

Love the Pre, hate the signal.
    To the OP:

Lets say you sign up for the Everything Data plan for $69.99/mo and you decide to cancel after 17 days, you just pay for the pro rated amount. Meaning you take the 69.99 divided by 31 days and multiply by 17 days or however many days you use the service and thats what you pay. Simple as pie.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    To the OP:

Lets say you sign up for the Everything Data plan for $69.99/mo and you decide to cancel after 17 days, you just pay for the pro rated amount. Meaning you take the 69.99 divided by 31 days and multiply by 17 days or however many days you use the service and thats what you pay. Simple as pie.
    Thanks, a lot. I learn something everyday .
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    To the OP:

Sprint will also take the number of minutes in your plan and divide that by the number of days you've had it. To use this example of the $70 450-minute plan, for 17 days out of 31, you would be charged 38.39 + taxes & fees, with 246 minutes. If you have used more than the prorated number of minutes, you will be charged an overage fee. So, depending on how much you have talked, it may behoove you to return your phone as close to the end of the billing cycle as possible