Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So one of the standard ways to check if a browser is decent is to subject it to an acid test.

display/box/float/clear test
    The Second Acid Test
    The Acid3 Test

So the Pre does fine on the first one, it's a pretty basic CSS1 test. Even IE6 passes that.

So IE6 and 7 both completely blow the second test, but the Pre can't even take the test. It won't handle the in-page anchor to get the part where you can even see the test results, at least IE6 and 7 you can see how much they suck.

And then there's the third Acid test. By far the most advanced. It's got a lot of Javascript and it wasn't passed by any browsers until late last year when the Webkit team and opera got their browsers to pass it. Firefox 3 only gets a 72, reports are that Firefox 3.5 gets into the 90's. IE6 and 7 get up to 12 if you wait long enough. What's worse though is that the Pre scores a 1 on the Acid 3 test. I think it's probably a page redraw issue, but it still shows a 1.

That's all very disappointing.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    does it load pages in a decent amount of time?

does it load full html pages?

if so, then no it doesn't suck.

if PC browsers can't pass these ridiculous tests then why would the Pre browser?
    Do ANY mobile browsers pass these tests? Also, the Pre's browser works just fine for the sites I visit, but I would never expect it to replace my desktop or have the same level of functionality.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Blazer sucked. No doubt about it. I don't really care much from day to day about Acid tests. I think the webOS browser is pretty good.

I've used Opera and I like it but, even though it passes Acid3 tests, not every website works on it. Now, they'll say it's bad website design, and they're probably right. But a really great browser would allow for some bad design as long as it doesn't open up any security issues.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    OMG this thread is retarded.

Did you test other mobile browsers? NO

FAIL
    The browser is awesome, thank you very much.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    OMG this thread is retarded.

Did you test other mobile browsers? NO

FAIL
    LOL, U R PWNED.

A coworker picked up the 3GS this morning and while I was showing how my GPS is way more accurate, I happened to point out to him that his Mobile Safari browser got a 97 on Acid 3.

And no self-respecting web developer would call Internet Explorer 6 anything other than one of The Top 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time. I only very loosely call it a browser so that I don't confuse the end (l)users who might think it's the best thing since sex.

To have a browser in release and not tested against at least the second Acid test is frankly unacceptable, and considering that it's based off webkit which passes with 100/100 un both Chrome and Safari 4, I don't think it's too much to ask that the Pre at least ranks with Firefox.

And it goes to show, that if it doesn't pass those tests, then there are other websites that won't work with it, watch out.
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post

And it goes to show, that if it doesn't pass those tests, then there are other websites that won't work with it, watch out.
    If it DOES pass those tests there are still websites that won't work with it.
    no.
    This is one of the few cases that I'll side with the "it's a 1.0 release" folks. If it supports most web sites, it'll get the job done. I don't happen to think a mobile browser needs to be as functional as the top desktop ones. In all honesty, most web developers make sure their sites will work in ie6 and 7, so if the Pre supports that functionality it'll do.

I'd rather have a quick browser that supports most web sites than a slow one that supports the last 2%.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11.    #11  
    And for Palm's sake, let's not gloss over the issues. This is an issue with browser capabilities on the Acid2 test and probably just a simple bug on the Acid3 test. How ever are we going to get our phone to be better if we, and Palm rest on our laurels and don't report these issues.
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    For those complaining about no comparisons, go no further than Wikipedia:

Admittedly, Acid3 is a ton of features that aren't even really used all that often (yet), but the other browsers have now improved to at least the 90s.

I hope Palm works on this in future releases as well.
    turn javascript off will decrease load time by 90%!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    And for Palm's sake, let's not gloss over the issues. This is an issue with browser capabilities on the Acid2 test and probably just a simple bug on the Acid3 test. How ever are we going to get our phone to be better if we, and Palm rest on our laurels and don't report these issues.
    I definitely agree with you there. I just don't think it "sucks". And, to Palm, a post title like that may just sound like sour grapes.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I think the browser is great. I have been on Opera Mobile for a long time and I think the Pre browser (kinda needs a name, doesn't it? Instead of just the Pre browser) destroys Opera.

No flash... yeah... don't care though.

It renders fast and smooth, the auto-resizing is really great. I think for browsing and information gathering (which is all I use a mobile browser for) it is the best mobile browser out there.
    For my general needs (engadget, slickdeals, precentral, facebook) the browser works perfectly. It renders fast, smooth, and its very usable!
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I will take Flash 10 on the Pre when it comes over a good Acid 3 score on Mobile Safari, any day.

Just sayin...
    its awesome
  19.    #19  
    Don't get me wrong it's SO much better than every other mobile browser, (that I've used) but that doesn't make for an awesome browser. If it had passed both Acid tests, I'd have posted up saying this browser is brilliant, or if it was at least close, I'd have said it's a decent browser, but it couldn't even test.
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'm general I like the browser but I was extremely disappointed that I could not log into my companies website. That's the acid test for me. Now I have to deal with all the iPhone owners - that's always the first question out of their mouth's when I demo the Pre. Yes, the iPhone loads it fine.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast