Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I dont think it is as good as my desktop broswer but as far as all my other mobile devices I think it is very good if not the best.
    The Pre browser is second to only the iPhone and Android, but they have had substantial head-starts and neither of those was perfect when they came out.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It renders just about every site I've visited just fine. Should I care about it's ACID score?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    It renders just about every site I've visited just fine. Should I care about it's ACID score?
    If it works great for you then know. Many people like benchmarks and ACID is great for seeing how a browser stacks up, but for me at least doesn't often translate directly into real usability on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    No you shouldn't. I have not run across a site that it doesn't render perfectly. That's all I care about. I am coming from the treo 755 and it is light years a head of blazer. I think safari mobile and the pre's browser are pretty much the same other than the apple can do the on screen keyboard which is nice in landscape mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    No you shouldn't. I have not run across a site that it doesn't render perfectly. That's all I care about. I am coming from the treo 755 and it is light years a head of blazer. I think safari mobile and the pre's browser are pretty much the same other than the apple can do the on screen keyboard which is nice in landscape mode.
    The Pre is only missing a very few things. Mainly I've seen issues with CSS rendering properly. Also auto-wrap text and the auto-zoom don't seem to work quite as well as mobile Safari. The nice thing is that all of these things could easily be addressed in the next update and I hope they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    So one of the standard ways to check if a browser is decent is to subject it to an acid test.
    no, the acid tests check if a browser is standards compliant. you can have a seriously crappy browser that's standards compliant, and i'd argue that you can have a seriously kick *** browser that is not standards compliant (others will disagree on this).

i.e. there are parts of the standard that are not used often, or are only useful in limited cases. i'd prefer a browser that totally kicked *** on the human interface and worked well in "most" scenarios to one that was a kludge to use but was very compliant.

that said, the pre browser is pretty good generally, but falls apart in some common situations:
    1- can't download and view attachments that the os supports. i.e. can't read a pdf hosted on the web
    2- can't use the symbol keyboard. this is important for strong passwords, logging into owa w/ a domain, etc
    3- seems to have trouble w/ some tables

overall i'd give it a b or b-
    Im into weather. When I open the local radar page to get storm movement updates, I get a static screen with no animation. Whats lacking in the Pre's browser? Thank you.
    Ditto. The 3-inch screen and keyboard fit in the palm of your hand. What sorta browsing experience are you expecting??
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I gave my Pre an acid test and it passed with flying colors man...

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    I'm general I like the browser but I was extremely disappointed that I could not log into my companies website. That's the acid test for me. Now I have to deal with all the iPhone owners - that's always the first question out of their mouth's when I demo the Pre. Yes, the iPhone loads it fine.
    But the real question is, did the orignal iPhone load it fine? If it didn't then they can shaddap.
    Quote Originally Posted by iclimb513 View Post
    But the real question is, did the orignal iPhone load it fine? If it didn't then they can shaddap.
    uh, no, that's not the real question. who gives a flyin' f' if a two generations old phone could do something? you gotta compare current generation to current generation...
    Does the Pre browser suck?
    No, of course not. It's quite nice, rending most web pages quickly with a good user interface.
    Could it be improved?
    Sure, it's by no means perfect. I agree with PoundSand about what it lacks.
    BUT, if the OP is looking to develop 3rd party apps, there are a LOT more enhancements I'm looking for in the e-mail app than in the browser.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone noticed this but you can double tap an area in a website and it will re-focus to exactly that paragraph or column. It is so perfect. The browser does not suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I don't know if anyone noticed this but you can double tap an area in a website and it will re-focus to exactly that paragraph or column. It is so perfect. The browser does not suck.
    yes, that's done in a lot of mobile browsers (iphone, opera mobile, android, etc)
    The only thing that pisses me off about the browser is that on occasion it'll only render half the page. Once I flip over to landscape it fixes itself, although it's still annoying.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Take for example the Home page of Precentral. On my iPod Touch I can see the Youtube video about the Sprint commercial. In fact if I click on it it will automatically launch youtube app to view the video. On my Pre I see a white space where the video is suppose to be. So there is something the Pre Browser is lacking, that Safari doesn't, plus the touch screen is not as accurate as iPhones.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    yes, that's done in a lot of mobile browsers (iphone, opera mobile, android, etc)
    This was my second phone. The first phone sucked (Nokia E62). So I guess I have limited experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123