Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I definitely agree with you there. I just don't think it "sucks". And, to Palm, a post title like that may just sound like sour grapes.
    Exactly. One can't claim that they're trying to constructively contribute to the Pre's development when titling a thread "Does the Pre browser suck?"

Instead, a title of "Pre browser fails Acid tests" or somesuch would provide meaningful information about the post's content without turning off anyone who's looking for real information--such as a Palm engineer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    A few points:

1) All of my favorite pages (except those relying on Flash) render wonderfully on the Pre. I never thought mobile browsing could be enjoyable, but it really is on this device. So considering this, it really doesn't bother me that it doesn't pass the Acid2 and Acid3 tests. It'll be nice if they add full compliance in future revisions, but I'd rather see them work on more important features & fixes.

2) The title of this thread is very misleading and would seem to be aimed at generating more views of the thread. A title similar to the one wynand32 suggested would not have generated as many views, but would have led to a more constructive, open discussion of the Pre's web standard compliance.
    Pre browser is good, but it still can't hold a candle to Netfront on my Pocket PC.
    You know what? Instead of testing for compatibility for a load that you will rarely see on a regular site, FIX THE DAMN CACHE! I'm tired of seeing sites getting the wrong cached image loaded.

Oh, and get auto-complete and proper cookie support. Kthxbai!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar Bumpers View Post
    Pre browser is good, but it still can't hold a candle to Netfront on my Pocket PC.
    You had me at PocketPC.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Wow up until a minute ago I thought the Pre's browser was fantastic - fast, sharp, and responsive. But now that I hear it performs unsatisfactorily in the "Acid2" and "Acid3" test of document object and javascript standards, I think it must be total garbage.
    no it's actually a great browser
    Yes, I realize with Synergy, you do not need to go there, but the Pre does seem to have trouble reliably rendering Gmail.com. For some reason, in portrait mode, the entire page is not rendered until you rotate to landscape.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    The Pre browser uses WebKit as its rendering engine. It's the same engine used in Safari (both desktop and mobile) and Chrome. WebKit has proven it can handle Acid3; I see no reason for the Pre browser not to be able to, at least in the future.
    the problem with the browser is the checker boarding, lag when scrolling, no support for animated gifs, no support for anchors and lack of groups for bookmarks.
    iPhone 3GS passas first two tests and scores 97/100 on the Acid 3 test. Just FYI. Hopefully in the future the pre browser will do as well. Despite the pres browser shortcomings it's one of the best well rounded mobile browsers currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    So one of the standard ways to check if a browser is decent is to subject it to an acid test.

display/box/float/clear test
    The Second Acid Test
    The Acid3 Test

So the Pre does fine on the first one, it's a pretty basic CSS1 test. Even IE6 passes that.

So IE6 and 7 both completely blow the second test, but the Pre can't even take the test. It won't handle the in-page anchor to get the part where you can even see the test results, at least IE6 and 7 you can see how much they suck.

And then there's the third Acid test. By far the most advanced. It's got a lot of Javascript and it wasn't passed by any browsers until late last year when the Webkit team and opera got their browsers to pass it. Firefox 3 only gets a 72, reports are that Firefox 3.5 gets into the 90's. IE6 and 7 get up to 12 if you wait long enough. What's worse though is that the Pre scores a 1 on the Acid 3 test. I think it's probably a page redraw issue, but it still shows a 1.

That's all very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    the problem with the browser is the checker boarding, lag when scrolling, no support for animated gifs, no support for anchors and lack of groups for bookmarks.
    From one who cannot yet purchase a Pre, can users please comment on the checker boarding that Aridon goes on and on about? Nobody else seems to mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    From one who cannot yet purchase a Pre, can users please comment on the checker boarding that Aridon goes on and on about? Nobody else seems to mention it.
    When scrolling through large pages, you see a checkerboard background for not even a second before it displays.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I know this is beating a dead horse. And, I know that this statement does not cover all shortcomings of the Pre (although I am quite satisfied with mine, thank you.). However, let us remember that the iPhone, as it is now, is a 3rd generation device. It was not as slick and functional as a 1st generation device. I would expect Palm's 2nd and 3rd generation WebOS offerings to be exponentially better than its 1st generation offering.

As for my opinion of the current browser...coming from the 755p, this is a HUGE improvement. It's all relative.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    OMG this thread is retarded.

Did you test other mobile browsers? NO

FAIL
    This.

The OP is too busy whacking off to the 3GS...
    Bookmarks could be better..give me a shortcut via the kb or make the center button have a function depending on what app you're in..(tap to go to bookmarks? but not the screen with icons). I don't mind the checkers as Palm continues to optimize the browser.

I'd rather be able to use xmarks if palm had a way to save directly to it. It's all about synergy right?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    does the pre browswer suck? no it doesn't. wow what a title!

you know what sucks Mobile IE, and any non web-kit based browser that doesn't have multi-touch.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    is it perfect? no. is it the best mobile browser i've used. yes.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    is it perfect? no. is it the best mobile browser i've used. yes.
    It's good, but definitely not the best mobile browser I've used. Needs a lot more updates.
    the pre's browser is great but sometimes i miss using skyfire.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast