Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by photojake View Post
    So does anyone have two Pre's to compare the Speed before and after the update? That would prove if it is faster or not.
    I updated my PrPrPr&#$275$; $but$ $not$ $my$ $wife$'$s$. $Charged$ $both$ $fully$ $overnight$ $and$ $rebooted$ $both$ $of$ $them$ $so$ $that$ $any$ $speed$ $tests$ $I$ $make$ $are$ $fair$.

I'm sorry to say the improved speed mentioned by so many people above is just wishful thinking. The camera speed is the same. Opening apps takes the same amount of time. Some things are actually slower on the 1.3 version - Google Maps takes about three seconds longer to finalize on my PrPrPr&#$275$;.

Websites - some opened faster, some slower. I was all excited when CNN.com opened about 15 seconds faster on my PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $then$ $my$ $wife$'$s$ $Pr$&#$275$; ($still$ $on$ $1$.$2$) $opened$ $FoxNews$.$com$ $about$ $five$ $seconds$ $faster$. ($I$ $thought$ $maybe$ $it$ $was$ $a$ $cache$ $thing$ $since$ $I$ $had$ $been$ $to$ $CNN$ $before$, $but$ $the$ $results$ $are$ $repeatable$ - $my$ $Pr$&#$275$; $consistently$ $opens$ $CNN$ $faster$ $and$ $my$ $wife$'$s$ $Pr$&#$275$; $opens$ $Fox$ $News$ $faster$.)

The NASCAR app opens at the same speed on both phones.

The GPS is the same speed.

The contact scrolling seems about the same.

Google maps was three seconds faster on 1.2, the Where app was three seconds faster on 1.3.

Summary - with a 1.2 PrPrPr&#$275$; $side$ $by$ $side$ $against$ $a$ $1$.$3$ $Pr$&#$275$;, $I$ $cannot$ $find$ $a$ $significant$ $difference$ $in$ $speed$ $anywhere$ $along$ $the$ $line$. $Sorry$.

If anybody wants me to run another test before upgrading my wife's PrPrPr&#$275$;, $post$ $here$ $and$ $I$'$ll$ $try$ $to$ $do$ $it$ $sometime$ $today$.
    Something which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the 1.03 update also fixed my BT pairing. Before when I tried to listen to music on my Sony HBH-DS980 BT headset it was choppy. This morning I tried it out and everything was clear and crisp. So check your BT headsets if you had problems in the past... Now we need OBEX support
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    TO EVERYONE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH CLASSIC AFTER THIS UPDATE:

I submitted a ticket to motionapp's support lines. This is the response I got:

To resolve this issue quickly please do the following:

1. Connect your Palm Pre via USB cable to the computer
    2. Select USB Drive mode on Pre's screen
    3. Delete the folder "ClassicApps" on Pre's drive 4. Disconnect the Pre from USB cable and start Classic.

Also, if you have previously installed Classic ROM Updater please delete it now from Classic, as its purpose is now obsolete with the new Classic 1.1.
    In order to do that, start Classic and in Palm OS Application Launcher open Apps menu and select Delete option. Find an application called "Import" and delete it.

Technical note for those interested in more details:
    Classic v1.1 is now able to expose complete virtual storage card via USB drive mode to the user via "ClassicApps" folder on the Pre's USB drive.
    Please note that files that you have previously placed in "ClassicApps" folder are still there, but are now located in "ClassicApps/PALM/Launcher/" folder.

In order for us to examine the issue you experienced, could please let us know the following:

1. Did you install Classic ROM Updater prior to webOS update to v1.0.3?
    2. What files you had in ClassicApps/Install folder?
    3. Which emulation mode are you running? To check this, please start Classic menu, then Options > Preferences. There you will see your active emulation mode.

Thank you in advance.

Have a great day and let us know if we can help you with this question in any other way.
    I haven't tried this yet, my USB cable is unavailable to me until monday. Just thought i would let everyone know!
    Why did they bother releasing such a disappointing update?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    So they dont have as many flaws out there when the iphone 3gs comes out.

But Palm's still a daay late and a dollar short. Basic like forwarding txts and changing the alert sound unfortunately havent been addressed. That sucks.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Well, I did the update, and I can confirm that RSSI values don't change much. I was hoverinig between -100 and -110, now I'm hovering between -95 and -106, but that's over a small amount of time and it only went to the high 90's once, so I'll call that a fluke. I think my pre is heading back to the store today, since they refuse to exchange it without a 2-week waiting list, the slider is loose and scratches the keyboard, and the signal problem still wasn't fixed within what will probably be our only update before the end of the trial period. I still have faith in palm, but they've got some fast work to do.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    WHAT! I think the EAS was a huge fix and a deal breaker to a lot. I'm trilled they are updating more often. I think they are taking the Kaizen approach of small continuous improvements. Its awesome! can you imagine if they waited 6 months for their first update? it might include a lot but it would also miss a lot and not be tested. this way they get constant feedback for each small update.

Just because its an update doesn't mean they got it right. Just think if they worked 6 months on something they got wrong...

GO PALM!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    Well, I did the update, and I can confirm that RSSI values don't change much. I was hoverinig between -100 and -110, now I'm hovering between -95 and -106, but that's over a small amount of time and it only went to the high 90's once, so I'll call that a fluke. I think my pre is heading back to the store today, since they refuse to exchange it without a 2-week waiting list, the slider is loose and scratches the keyboard, and the signal problem still wasn't fixed within what will probably be our only update before the end of the trial period. I still have faith in palm, but they've got some fast work to do.
    Its been out for 14 days... 332 hours....
    Godammit WTF. They couldn't even fix the email notifications!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    whats wrong with the email notifications?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I see we have a bunch of complainers on board. This phone has been out for about 3wks and we already had a coupla updates. They cannot satisfy EVERYONE, EAS was a big issue, just continue to wait and be grateful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Left Texas View Post
    I updated my PrPrPr&#$275$; $but$ $not$ $my$ $wife$'$s$. $Charged$ $both$ $fully$ $overnight$ $and$ $rebooted$ $both$ $of$ $them$ $so$ $that$ $any$ $speed$ $tests$ $I$ $make$ $are$ $fair$.

I'm sorry to say the improved speed mentioned by so many people above is just wishful thinking. The camera speed is the same. Opening apps takes the same amount of time. Some things are actually slower on the 1.3 version - Google Maps takes about three seconds longer to finalize on my PrPrPr&#$275$;.

Websites - some opened faster, some slower. I was all excited when CNN.com opened about 15 seconds faster on my PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $then$ $my$ $wife$'$s$ $Pr$&#$275$; ($still$ $on$ $1$.$2$) $opened$ $FoxNews$.$com$ $about$ $five$ $seconds$ $faster$. ($I$ $thought$ $maybe$ $it$ $was$ $a$ $cache$ $thing$ $since$ $I$ $had$ $been$ $to$ $CNN$ $before$, $but$ $the$ $results$ $are$ $repeatable$ - $my$ $Pr$&#$275$; $consistently$ $opens$ $CNN$ $faster$ $and$ $my$ $wife$'$s$ $Pr$&#$275$; $opens$ $Fox$ $News$ $faster$.)

The NASCAR app opens at the same speed on both phones.

The GPS is the same speed.

The contact scrolling seems about the same.

Google maps was three seconds faster on 1.2, the Where app was three seconds faster on 1.3.

Summary - with a 1.2 PrPrPr&#$275$; $side$ $by$ $side$ $against$ $a$ $1$.$3$ $Pr$&#$275$;, $I$ $cannot$ $find$ $a$ $significant$ $difference$ $in$ $speed$ $anywhere$ $along$ $the$ $line$. $Sorry$.

If anybody wants me to run another test before upgrading my wife's PrPrPr&#$275$;, $post$ $here$ $and$ $I$'$ll$ $try$ $to$ $do$ $it$ $sometime$ $today$.

Interesting because when I compared mine with 1.0.3 and my friend's pre today (1.0.2) my photo app opened faster, my music app opened faster, and we tested the browser on a site neither of us had visited and mine was faster..
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    It is faster. Hit the dialer to make a call. It pops up in like .6 seconds. The speed test with the 3gs they listed it at 1.5 and that was 1.0.2.
    My experience has been nothing magical and I don't think it was intended to be. This was a bug fix update. Not features, not speed. BUGFIX. Get your panties untwisted because the next few will likely be the same. Why? They are trying to save the people who WILL walk away if certain bugs (e.g. EAS) aren't addressed.

I'm assuming we'll get some apps that are stable with the 1.0.3 release soon. Expect bug fixes, then apps in that order. Developers need to test their apps against the new firmware version. Yet another reason to keep SDK distribution tight.

It makes sense even if we don't like it.
    EAS is not fixed!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Disappointing for YOU but not for everyone. My Gmail has not worked in over 10 days and now, with this update, it does. Hardly disappointing.

I'm growing weary of the self-centered complainers around here. me....me....me....me....arghhhh!
    Thanks eerongal for the post ... it worked and Classic is now working better than before
    Did someone say something about a day late, etc, in comparison to the iphone?? The 3Gs STILL can't send a picture to another cell phone!!! Maybe at the end of the summer.. They have an APP FOR THAT now, and it takes about 3 minutes after you receive the picture to open it up... 2 years and three devices later, the iphone is a hair ahead in a few things than the Pre, and the Pre has been out for 2 weeks..
    Oh, and try updating your iphone on the road...

I could just go on and on....