1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Bought my Pre from a Sprint store last weekend, and did not purchase the insurance plan... I typically don't buy the insurance with a phone as I'm not super rough on them, and have never had problems. Now, reading about cracked screen defects, and having not been able to find a case I'm happy with, I'm starting to think I need to be insured! So, two questions:

1) Is there any reason to start insurance BEFORE the 30 day return policy is over? (I mean, up until 30 days, I can return my phone to Sprint if something happens to it, right?)

2) Anyone have a third party insurer that they recommend and are happy with? I have heard things about Sprint plan high deductibles and the plan only covering certain types of damage.

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by smedley12 View Post
    I mean, up until 30 days, I can return my phone to Sprint if something happens to it, right?
    Nope.

Should it experience a manufacturing related defect sure but if you drop it into a pile of hot steaming cow crap and it stops working then you are SOL.
  3.    #3  
    I see. So one more question - is it too late to grab a Sprint insurance policy since I refused one in the first place? (would think that if I brought it back into a store to prove it's still working they would be able to insure it still?)
    I believe you have until 30 days to purchase insurance. After that you cannot. I like the insurance because it covers other things than rough abuse. If you lose it or it gets stolen then you just pay the deductible. I used it last year when I got into an accident. My coffee poured all over my phone and fried it, so I got a new one (well refurbed but it was in excellent condition) after paying the deductible. Cheaper than replacing the phone out right.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    speaking of insurance, i didn't buy my phone from sprint or bestbuy. And after reading a lot of screen cracks and broken keyboard threads i was wondering if there is a service out there that anybody uses for those that did not buy their phone from a retailer?

It's gotten me paranoid now.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I didn't get the total protection plan either, but am thinking of adding it. I did notice that, in addition to the Total Equipment Protection plan for $7/month, there is also a $4/month plan that just covers lost, stolen, and physically damaged devices, but not routine maintenance or "mechanical or electrical failure from normal wear and tear". I'm not sure how likely it is that there would be a repairable problem which is also not covered by the standard warranty, so that $4 "Equipment Replacement Program" might be a better deal. But the fine print implies you might have to purchase it with the phone. Not sure. This is all in the "Program, Perks & Priviledges" brochure from Sprint.
    If you damage your phone before you get the insurance, it won't be covered for that damage. I think Assurion requires you to make a phone call after you get the insurance before you're covered - or something like that. If you lose or break your phone, you can't then add insurance and make a claim, even if you're still within the first 30 days.

I've made a few insurance claims for my phones over the years. Once while it was in my pants pocket, once when it was in a belt case and I smashed it against the corner of the stairs, and once when my phone was soaked by Shamu (I sat in the "soak zone" and thought my phone was safe in my pocket - wrong.) I'm glad I bought the insurance. It's not as good of a deal now that the deductable is $100 and not $50. However, I pay for it. It's worth the peace of mind to not worry too much if my phone gets smashed, stolen, lost, etc.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    i would get the insurance just to be on the safe side. unless you know you will never damage the phone in anyway then it isn't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmtacos View Post
    speaking of insurance, i didn't buy my phone from sprint or bestbuy. And after reading a lot of screen cracks and broken keyboard threads i was wondering if there is a service out there that anybody uses for those that did not buy their phone from a retailer?

It's gotten me paranoid now.
    So you bought it from Radio Shack then Mr. Aloof?

Call Sprint, add the Total Equipment Protection plan and you can stop taking Tums.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    So the math is:
    7$ per month x 24 months =168$ + 100$ deductible = 268$.

I guess there's a point when the insurance doesn't make sense but now that a new pre is 500$ probably best to go with it imho
  11. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    you got 30 days
    deductible is only if you cause physical/water damage

just call sprint
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Never had insurance on my phone before (and never would have used it anyway). But, the Pre is both a whole lot more expensive and seems a whole lot more delicate than my previous flip-phones. I figure I'll pay for the insurance until I'm eligible for a new subsidized phone in 12 months unless, of course, I upgrade again ........
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Never had insurance before, but being that it is a 1st gen device and not knowing it's durability, i got the insurance.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    So you bought it from Radio Shack then Mr. Aloof?

Call Sprint, add the Total Equipment Protection plan and you can stop taking Tums.
    they wont add insurance because i did not purchase from a sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmtacos View Post
    they wont add insurance because i did not purchase from a sprint store.
    They SHOULD add insurance. I didn't purchase my last 2 smart phones from a sprint store, I got them at Radioshack. And I had insurance added on both of them. Call sprint they should do it for you.

Sprint insurance is handy sometimes, i had my HTC Mogul replaced 4 times - without the insurance I wouldn't of been able to do that.
    Sprint added the insurance on mine and I purchased at Best Buy.