Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in another thread and apologize for reposting here but just got off the phone with palm and feel that this im imperative for all of us to know. Here it goes...

Like many of you, I have noticed screen discoloration and blotches on my Pre on all THREE thats right 3 Pres. I exchanged my second pre last night due to discoloration and blotches. I really love the web os and the phone itself is AMAZING but I wanted to get to the root of the problem so I went ahead and contacted Palm butler, a service that Palm offers free for us for 90 days from when we purchased our pres. In case anyone wanted their # it is 1-866-750-7256.

I have been using the touchstone for all 3 pres and obviously the battery door that comes with the stone. The discoloration on this last one was the least noticeable out of all three but none the less, it was still visible. I noticed after getting off the phone with palm something quite interesting...

The more I used the phone, the warmer it got, and the more pronounced the splotch became so I removed the touchstone battery door and put the original back door on and guess what? Screen blotch was GONE! Screen now looks flawless. The Pre itself feels cool and not nearly as warm as it did when I had the touchstone batt door on it. Also, for some reason when i place my pre on stone the screen doesn't turn off and I don't mean that it shows the clock and dims which palm calls nightmode, I mean it stays on as bright as I had it when it wasn't on the stone.

Palm is AWARE of this issue, as someone else stated on here, and recommended me to return the touchstone and use the original battery door that comes with the phone. They said they are working on an update to fix this issue and once they do then I should repurchase the stone and use the stone battery door. I personally like the stone batt door better but I have no screen blotches or discoloration whatsoever with the original batt door not to mention it doesn't feel like the pre is burning up so I am definitely going to return the stone and wait for an update with my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps guys!
    Last edited by preman2be913; 06/19/2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    Palm is AWARE of this issue, as someone else stated on here, and recommended me to return the touchstone and use the original battery door that comes with the phone. They said they are working on an update to fix this issue and once they do then I should repurchase the stone and use the stone battery door.
    So, I wonder if there will be some type of recall on them.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I posted this in another thread and apologize for reposting here but just got off the phone with palm and feel that this im imperative for all of us to know. Here it goes...
    Heat most definitely is the culprit, but the touchstone is not the lone source. The splotches become prominent on mine when the phone gets hot, which often happens when it charges, however, I DO NOT have a touchstone, nor has my Pre ever touched a touchstone--I'm sure many of the others here with the problem would state a similar case.

I appreciate the information, but sometimes we shouldn't be so quick to proclaim our individual cases as THE solution but perhaps A solution. One example that comes to mind is folks proclaiming that removing Hotmail from their phones would fix all battery issues, when many of us had, in fact, never used Hotmail.

Thanks again! Sorry if that sounded ranty!
    Last edited by leez; 06/19/2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add 3 words
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    You need the Touchstone battery cover for the Pre to charge. Without it, it won't. There's contacts on the cover that transmits the power to the Pre if you look at the back. You're basically saying not to use the Touchstone.

The discoloration is a known issue, as you stated but it's because the Pre gets hot. The warmer the Pre, the more pronounced. Having the Pre on the Touchstone will make it warm as it charges, which is normal during charging. So putting the regular Pre battery cover isn't solving your issue.

BTW, the screen doesn't turn off since the Pre isn't charging while on the Touchstone because you have the standard back. That would explain why the Pre isn't heating up.

You'll see the same issue with when you charge and use the Pre using the USB cable. It'll get hot and the discoloration will return.

I don't know how Palm is going to fix this unless they do a hardware recall or redesign.

I have the same problem but you can't see the unevenness until you launch the App Catalog. The bluish background on the Catalog really shows it on the bottom.
    I definitely believe there is a heat problem. Couple the heat from the reception problem with the heat from the TouchStone and you get one HOT phone. My second Pre deleoped a bubble on the screen (under the plastic outer layer). This third Pre is not going on a TS until Palm solves the problem. I should take both TS back for a refund.
    I do not have a touchstone and I get the blotches/discoloration. My pre also gets warm when I'm making calls using my bluetooth headset, any else experience this?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    You need the Touchstone battery cover for the Pre to charge. Without it, it won't. There's contacts on the cover that transmits the power to the Pre if you look at the back. You're basically saying not to use the Touchstone.

The discoloration is a known issue, as you stated but it's because the Pre gets hot. The warmer the Pre, the more pronounced. Having the Pre on the Touchstone will make it warm as it charges, which is normal during charging. So putting the regular Pre battery cover isn't solving your issue.

BTW, the screen doesn't turn off since the Pre isn't charging while on the Touchstone because you have the standard back. That would explain why the Pre isn't heating up.

You'll see the same issue with when you charge and use the Pre using the USB cable. It'll get hot and the discoloration will return.

I don't know how Palm is going to fix this unless they do a hardware recall or redesign.

I have the same problem but you can't see the unevenness until you launch the App Catalog. The bluish background on the Catalog really shows it on the bottom.
    Stake, I don't have the standard back door on the pre while it is on the stone. It won't work that way. I am talking about the matte touchstone back door and my pre still stays on and doesn't dim and go to nightstand mode even with the TOUCHSTONE BACK DOOR! I even spoke to sprint about this and they are aware of this well. Oh and by the way, I have been on the phone with the standard back door while it is charging via the usb wall adapter fo rover an hour with several cards open and guess what? No discoloration or screen blotches ANyWHERE in sight! So far so good! Sprint are completely aware of this and even told me to return the stone and use the standard back door til Palm resolves this issue. They mentioned something about the magnetic coils on the touchstone back door and the current that the touchstone itself puts out.

Like many of you, I have noticed screen discoloration and blotches on my Pre on all THREE thats right 3 Pres. I exchanged my second pre last night due to discoloration and blotches. I really love the web os and the phone itself is AMAZING but I wanted to get to the root of the problem so I went ahead and contacted Palm butler, a service that Palm offers free for us for 90 days from when we purchased our pres. In case anyone wanted their # it is 1-866-750-7256.

I have been using the touchstone for all 3 pres and obviously the battery door that comes with the stone. The discoloration on this last one was the least noticeable out of all three but none the less, it was still visible. I noticed after getting off the phone with palm something quite interesting...

The more I used the phone, the warmer it got, and the more pronounced the splotch became so I removed the touchstone battery door and put the original back door on and guess what? Screen blotch was GONE! Screen now looks flawless. The Pre itself feels cool and not nearly as warm as it did when I had the touchstone batt door on it. Also, for some reason when i place my pre on stone the screen doesn't turn off and I don't mean that it shows the clock and dims which palm calls nightmode, I mean it stays on as bright as I had it when it wasn't on the stone.

Palm is AWARE of this issue, as someone else stated on here, and recommended me to return the touchstone and use the original battery door that comes with the phone. They said they are working on an update to fix this issue and once they do then I should repurchase the stone and use the stone battery door. I personally like the stone batt door better but I have no screen blotches or discoloration whatsoever with the original batt door not to mention it doesn't feel like the pre is burning up so I am definitely going to return the stone and wait for an update with my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps guys!
    The Touchstone is arguably the most useless, overpriced charger ever developed. I think people buy it strictly for bragging rights, rather than usefulness, as it's charging time is far slower than a plug-in charger.
  9. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    wait really? i heard it charges as quick as the regular charger!
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Mine gets warm - but it does with USB charging too. Can you further explain or describe "blotching". I use the TS every night and a few times during the day (like when I have a conference call) and my screen looks as great as it did the first day. But, where magnets are involved, screen distortion can happen.

BTW - 1812 does not know of what he speaks... hearsay artist.....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Mine gets warm - but it does with USB charging too. Can you further explain or describe "blotching". I use the TS every night and a few times during the day (like when I have a conference call) and my screen looks as great as it did the first day. But, where magnets are involved, screen distortion can happen.

BTW - 1812 does not know of what he speaks... hearsay artist.....
    Bubba, I will put the touchstone back door back on and put it on the stone and try to take a snapshot and post it on here so you can see the diff. I will post 2, one with the blotch and one without so stay tuned!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    My original Pre had the blotches before I used a Touchstone. I returned it and the new one has been perfectly fine, even using the Touchstone. It must just be a specific piece of hardware in the device that has borderline sensitivity.
    It definitely isn't the touchstone that causes the blotches, but rather heat. Like any phone, the Pre gets pretty warm when using it for a couple hours straight in a phone call, and it will happen then as well. Most Pre's have the blotch straight out of the box, much like mine did(My first one did, and I had to get a replacement because the camera wouldn't work. It was the first thing I checked). The touchstone produces heat due to the way it charges, so thats why it seems like it's the culprit, but it's not.
    My Pre' gets hot when charging but I have not noticed any splotches yet.
    My Pre has splotches visible that are yellow on a white background or lighter-colored on a dark background. No touchstone. I'm working on getting an exchange.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Domali View Post
    It definitely isn't the touchstone that causes the blotches, but rather heat. Like any phone, the Pre gets pretty warm when using it for a couple hours straight in a phone call, and it will happen then as well. Most Pre's have the blotch straight out of the box, much like mine did(My first one did, and I had to get a replacement because the camera wouldn't work. It was the first thing I checked). The touchstone produces heat due to the way it charges, so thats why it seems like it's the culprit, but it's not.
    damn you are right! I had the standard back door on and charged it via usb and sure enough the splotch came back. Jesus this is my third Pre how does palm remedy this bc this is not a good look for them!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    The Touchstone is arguably the most useless, overpriced charger ever developed. I think people buy it strictly for bragging rights, rather than usefulness, as it's charging time is far slower than a plug-in charger.
    I think it's extremely useful. But, then, I don't have an axe to grind.
    I thought I saw a very faint blotch when I first started using my Pre. Now I can't see it even if I look very closely. I use a Touchstone - no problems.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    wait really? i heard it charges as quick as the regular charger!

Methinks you heard wrong.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domali View Post
    My first Pre had several dead pixels and got very hot. My new Pre has one dead pixel that you can barely see on the boot up screen and it does not get hot, although the keyboard twists a bit on this one. I e mailed Palm and they actually called me and e mailed me I am calling them back on Monday and from what I gathered from them I believe they are going to send me another Pre!!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast