Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To the original poster..are you by chance wearing polarized lenses? I noticed the blotches too after charging with my touchstone and then took off my prescription polarized sunglasses and the blotches completely disappeared. I doubt this will be something they can fix easily as it seems to be a combination of the pressure applied from the touchstone's magnet over time as well as the heat generated by the induction process. Sure it gets warm but definitely not hot enough to damage the components. My phone gets hotter than that just by sitting in direct sunlight on the table in my 71 degree chilled home.
    Last edited by Auberon Barnable; 06/20/2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    I doubt this will be something they can fix easily as it seems to be a combination of the pressure applied from the touchstone's magnet over time as well as the heat generated by the induction process.
    The touchstone itself has nothing to do with causing the blotches. My Pre had blotches right out of the box. Not as bad as some of the pictures I've seen but they were still there.

I bought my Pre the day they came out and have used the regular charging cord until last night when I used the touchstone for the first time. I didn't notice any difference in the blotches when I charged with the regular cable or via the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    The touchstone itself has nothing to do with causing the blotches. My Pre had blotches right out of the box. Not as bad as some of the pictures I've seen but they were still there.

I bought my Pre the day they came out and have used the regular charging cord until last night when I used the touchstone for the first time. I didn't notice any difference in the blotches when I charged with the regular cable or via the touchstone.

Give it one week with the touchstone every night. See if your blotches get worse and report back. I had the pre for 3 days with USB charge only - no defects. 2 days of touchstone and i had yellow corners. Not saying they are definitely related, but I'm thinking it accelerates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    2 days of touchstone and i had yellow corners. Not saying they are definitely related, but I'm thinking it accelerates it.
    If you stop using the touchstone, do the corners return to normal?
  5.    #45  
    To the original poster..are you by chance wearing polarized lenses? I noticed the blotches too after charging with my touchstone and then took off my prescription polarized sunglasses and the blotches completely disappeared. I doubt this will be something they can fix easily as it seems to be a combination of the pressure applied from the touchstone's magnet over time as well as the heat generated by the induction process. Sure it gets warm but definitely not hot enough to damage the components. My phone gets hotter than that just by sitting in direct sunlight on the table in my 71 degree chilled home.
    Auberon no glasses whatsoever! That is what is strange and I don't get how the touchstone accelerates it but it Definitely does. I'm returning both touch stones tomorrow and will not place my pre on a stone until palm resolves this issue.
  6. kjb
    No discoloration here, TS every night. Fingers crossed.
    For those of you having problems, how far is your brightness turned up? My phone has been on a TS for about 80 hours since I got it and I haven't noticed a problem. My brightness is about 5-10%.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I had no screen problems at all until today.

I noticed a peripheral string of about 20 pixels that were "shimmery" - as the screen was tilted, this perfectly horizontal group of pixels would appear darker or lighter than adjacent rows of pixels, flickering depending on the angle.

Over the course of the day more and more individual pixels began to look "shimmery" in this way and I began to get some vertical lines.

You can see this "shimmery" line and some "stuck" appearing subpixels on the attached pic, although the picture is from a little point-and-shoot and doesn't do the problem justice. (You can actually see the effect better in the thumbnail than in the full sized picture.)

I removed my Bodyguardz screen protector, which I had on for several days. Most of the shimmery appearing subpixels including the lines resolved.

Now I am stuck wondering is the optical effect was due to a microcracks within the film of the Bodyguardz itself, or if perhaps the heating and cooling cycle of the Pre caused contraction of the Bodyguardz cover which induced shear stress on the Pre display that was starting to cause pixel effects. I think that my personal experience is only a single one and that one should be careful drawing conclusions from it, but if others start to report similar problems with screen protectors then that should be considered. In general, I found the Bodyguardz to be an excellent quality product and I had a perfect install. I am sad to have my Pre naked again. But I am glad the problem resolved!

You can vaguely see one line of the "shimmery" pixels above the "g" in "Google" in this image, as well as a few of the other stuck/shimery pixels. These were most visible against a white screen, and were clearly different from the grid points that you can see if you reflect light on the Pre surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JC Strat, it sounds like I've got the same problem as you described. I've been looking all over these forums for anybody else with this problem and you're the first I've seen. I'm using Zagg's Invisible shield and the following day after applying it I noticed three perfectly vertical discolored lines on my screen, the biggest being about an inch long near the bottom right, one near the bottom left, and the other near the top right. They look exactly like the pic you posted. At first glance they almost appear to be scratches, but I knew that's impossible since they didn't appear until after I put the shield on. They were only really noticeable when displaying lighter colors, but it was still highly irritating. After reading your post I decided to remove the shield and sure enough the lines disappeared.

I don't know if this is a widespread problem with these screen protectors, but it kinda sucks that I just wasted $20 bucks on this thing.
    Last edited by blakebrentwood; 06/21/2009 at 03:42 AM.
    Give it one week with the touchstone every night. See if your blotches get worse and report back. I had the pre for 3 days with USB charge only - no defects. 2 days of touchstone and i had yellow corners.
    Day 2 of using the Touchstone and no accelerated blotches, in fact I hardly even notice them at this point. They actually seem to be less noticeable than when I first got it. The phone is a little warm but not hot in any sense.

I'm wondering if the 1.0.3 update could have changed the way the phone is charged...for instance a lower current charging cycle that doesn't allow the phone to get as hot.

Also, last night I positioned the phone horizontally on the touchstone instead of vertically. Can't see where that would make much difference but who knows.

I like the touchstone because it was annoying prying the USB cover off to plug in the cable each time I wanted to charge. It would seem that over time, the cover would eventually break off.
  11. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Hey... You're correct! The yellow blotches appear when wearing my prescription lenses and gone when I don't!

...although I can't see a damn thing when I take them off, such is age :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    I have the same problem but you can't see the unevenness until you launch the App Catalog. The bluish background on the Catalog really shows it on the bottom.
    You might want to investigate this a little closer. My App Catalog looks the same way. However, when I hit the center button to change apps, it's still 'blotchy' when it's shrunk to the middle of the screen, so I'd guess that's the way the background or image is, not a defect of the screen or it would look different at around 60% size in the middle of the screen.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    If you stop using the touchstone, do the corners return to normal?

Nope. That screen was toast. Yellow in the bottom right was almost 1/4" wide and 3/8" long. Nasty spot.
    Give it one week with the touchstone every night. See if your blotches get worse and report back. I had the pre for 3 days with USB charge only - no defects. 2 days of touchstone and i had yellow corners.
    Day 3 with Touchstone and all is well. No Touchstone induced blotches, again, they seem less noticeable than when I first got the phone. Phone slightly warm after being on Touchstone all night but nothing abnormal.
    It actually charges at the same speed ( I have not noticed). It is very convenient to be able to sit your pre on top of the Touchstone without having to use the USB which is a PITA to take out.
    I'm sure that the issue with blotches, uneven color, even dead pixels is related to poor build quality of the screen and heat affecting it. But here's where I think the touchstone accelerates the issue - THE STUPID BACKLIGHT STAYS ON WHILE ITS CHARGING. As if charging and using the device normally don't create enough heat, now we are going to charge it - using a hotter than normal method (the TS draws more current than the USB) but we leave the screen on (albeit dim) while we charge. I think it is ridiculous that there is no option to turn off the screen while charging. Unless you are using the device at the same time, the USB charging is MUCH cooler than the TS. The TS produces heat, the battery produces heat while charging, and the damn screen is on.

The alarm clock thing is cute but, gimme a break. I just want the stupid backlight off. It would charge quicker. It would produce less heat. And it would stop annoying me all night long.

I just exchanged my pre tonight (yellow corners) for #2. If I could have waited 6 months to exchange it, I would have. Cause I bet they'll improve the quality so issues like this are minimized. But we only get 30 days. The price we pay for early adoption, I guess.

This one I refuse to charge with the TS until someone fixes it so the screen can be off. Even then it may happen, but I gotta play the odds. Hackers, if you can beat palm to it, that would be great. I just hope it can be done quick, cause that damn touchstone is cool!
    I'm so glad someone besides me noticed that the backlight is still on when in clock mode on the TS! It is very bright in a darkened room. The black screen behind the white numers of the clock is actually dark gray as there is no such thing as true black on an LCD screen. I have my screen brightness as low as it can go. My choices in a dark room are. (A) Take the Pre off the TS and turn off the screen. (B) Power off the phone completely and put it on the TS. (This works but, sometimes the Pre won't turn back on again, even trying tricks like holding the power on button while sliding the ringer switch 3 times back and forth, so I have to pop out the battery) Even if it does power on, I have to wait a long time for the Pre to boot back into WEBOS. I'm worried about the lamp life of this screen. I hate wasting it when all I want is to charge the phone. There needs to be an option to have the screen remain off, no clock, when placed on the TS.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpirit View Post
    there is no such thing as true black on an LCD screen.
    Actually there is. Newer LCD TV's have an LED backlight where you can have "true black" but I doubt we'll see it in a cell phone for awhile.

There needs to be an option to have the screen remain off, no clock, when placed on the TS.
    I agree completely. I'm hoping Palm is listening to all of us beta testers and add these features in future releases. Give people a choice, it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I'm so glad someone besides me noticed that the backlight is still on when in clock mode on the TS! It is very bright in a darkened room. The black screen behind the white numers of the clock is actually dark gray as there is no such thing as true black on an LCD screen. I have my screen brightness as low as it can go. My choices in a dark room are. (A) Take the Pre off the TS and turn off the screen. (B) Power off the phone completely and put it on the TS. (This works but, sometimes the Pre won't turn back on again, even trying tricks like holding the power on button while sliding the ringer switch 3 times back and forth, so I have to pop out the battery) Even if it does power on, I have to wait a long time for the Pre to boot back into WEBOS. I'm worried about the lamp life of this screen. I hate wasting it when all I want is to charge the phone. There needs to be an option to have the screen remain off, no clock, when placed on the TS.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't black the most difficult color for an LCD to produce? I'm mean, it seems logical that it takes more energy to block out the backlight by making a pixel appear black. If you were to 'clip the wires' to one individual pixel, the backlight would shine right through it, right? That's why LCDs suck at producing black levels and contrast ratio. So not only is the backlight on, but the individual pixels are being worked as hard as they can....all night long...when i'm not even looking at the thing.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but either way, its still stupid. Give us the option.
    Give it one week with the touchstone every night. See if your blotches get worse and report back.
    Day 4 with the Touchstone....no changes, no accelerated blotches.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebrentwood View Post
    JC Strat, it sounds like I've got the same problem as you described. I've been looking all over these forums for anybody else with this problem and you're the first I've seen. I'm using Zagg's Invisible shield and the following day after applying it I noticed three perfectly vertical discolored lines on my screen, the biggest being about an inch long near the bottom right, one near the bottom left, and the other near the top right. They look exactly like the pic you posted. At first glance they almost appear to be scratches, but I knew that's impossible since they didn't appear until after I put the shield on. They were only really noticeable when displaying lighter colors, but it was still highly irritating. After reading your post I decided to remove the shield and sure enough the lines disappeared.

I don't know if this is a widespread problem with these screen protectors, but it kinda sucks that I just wasted $20 bucks on this thing.

i just removed my BSE causing the said "lines"(gone now)... too bad cuz i had it on perfectly and covered nicely, but this morning started to notice the said "lines" more and more. going back to ghost armor, which was nice and clear, even tho i messed up the sides when trying to put that on previously.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast