Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Methinks you heard wrong.
    Mine charges quick on the Touchstone. Does it have the same charging speed as the wall charger? I don't know, and don't really care. With the touchstone and my car charger, the battery is something I don't worry about. That's one of the great things about the Touchstone - you don't have to think about about plugging in the Pre.

My Touchstone is a fabulous device.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Pre using touchtone, no dead pixels, no discoloration even at high brightness and on "revealing" apps like Pandora. Guess I used up all my bad overheating electronics mojo on the xbox360.

Also I dig the touchstone. You just splat your phone on the thing and use it all day at work for Pandora, monitor emails, messages etc... and then at the end of your work day pop off your phone at 100% charge. No fingerlailing the delicate tethered charge cover, no jamming the microUSB connector, no funky cord sticking out the side of the phone when you want to use it. Going to lunch? Just pick up your phone. Back from lunch? Drop it on the touchstone. People are willing to pay for convenience.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    My Touchstone is a fabulous device.
    +1 To me, this is a no-brainer. I always felt like I was going to break my Treo when I took it out of the desk charger/stand. This one doesn't even have to be mounted properly. Just get it close and it does the rest.

BTW, it also works great in my vehicle. No movement whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    damn you are right! I had the standard back door on and charged it via usb and sure enough the splotch came back. Jesus this is my third Pre how does palm remedy this bc this is not a good look for them!
    But what I find interesting is that Palm said there was a known problem to you?? Maybe they just wanted you to take the TS back but not the re and be happy that "they were working on it"?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  5.    #25  
    Does your touchstone automatically dim your pre and show the clock once you place it on the stone? Mine doesn't it just stays bright and shows the wallpaper with the quick launcg icons wtf? Maybe thats why it is sooo hot bc it stays on and doesnt go to sleep while on the touchstone
    Does your touchstone automatically dim your pre and show the clock once you place it on the stone? Mine doesn't it just stays bright and shows the wallpaper with the quick launcg icons wtf? Maybe thats why it is sooo hot bc it stays on and doesnt go to sleep while on the touchstone
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I just set it on the TS and it went from the webpage I was on and then to the clock after 1 minute (my set timeout). Sometimes it does not do that for a while - but I have not been scientific about it!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    wait really? i heard it charges as quick as the regular charger!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Methinks you heard wrong.
    This quote is directly from the Palm Store Website with regards to the Touchstone:

"As you set your Pre on the Charging Dock, it magnetically snaps into place in portrait or landscape mode, and charging begins. It’s easier, more convenient, and it charges your Pre in about the same amount of time as plugging it into a standard power charger."

Touchstone™ Technology | Palm USA
    I have the discoloration/blotches and i don't have the touchstone
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    I have the discoloration/blotches and i don't have the touchstone
    How do we or palm remedy this? Is it something palm can fix with an update of are we just SOL?
    I just picked up a Touchstone and have already charged the phone and it worked like a charm. No blotches to be seen. I have noticed the heat generated from charging but not on the Touchstone.
    Is it something palm can fix with an update of are we just SOL?
    Ding...ding...ding.....WE HAVE A WINNER!!

The only way to fix it is to exchange the phone and hope you get a better one. Odds are against it, plus you'll have to wonder if your new Pre is "crack" prone.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Ding...ding...ding.....WE HAVE A WINNER!!

The only way to fix it is to exchange the phone and hope you get a better one. Odds are against it, plus you'll have to wonder if your new Pre is "crack" prone.
    Chimmer I exchanged it 3 times this is my third Pre LOL I love the device and the web os is unlike any phone I ever used but maybe I should just deal with it and return the touchstone and try to keep this device as cool as possible!
    Chimmer I exchanged it 3 times this is my third Pre LOL I love the device
    I know...it's a bittersweet feeling. I started with a Centro, then for some dumb reason moved to a Treo 800W. I've been waiting on this new WebOS forever it seems.

I went to my local corporate store an hour before opening, was 3rd in line and was happy as hell to get the Pre. I also have the blotches at the bottom but at this point, with the Pre shortage I didn't feel like being put on a replacement waiting list, plus it was more of a slight nuisance than a deal breaker for me.

The cracking screens are what is ticking me off. I'm so paranoid that one day mine will crack and I'll be screwed. That's why I hope this issue gets enough media coverage so that Palm/Sprint will have to address it instead of trying to blame the customers.

I just got a Zagg Invisible shield but not sure I want to try putting it on after some of the horror stories I've read about the liquid installs killing the phone. I tried one on my Centro but after about a half an hour ended up wadding it up in a ball and throwing it across the room.

I ordered some of those "static" screen protectors from SmartPhone Experts who had them in stock, so I may try those first. I had ordered from Seidio also but their website was misleading. They said out of stock, while some of the other items said "still under development." When I emailed Seidio about it, they said that the screen protectors are also "under development" and could not give me an ETA. Great..then why not list them as "under development also?" I also had PM'd the Seidio rep in these forums but he never answered my PM, unless he was the one that answered my emails.

Love the Pre, hate the issues popping up, but I guess some of them are to be expected with a version 1 release.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Ok so just to preface so as not to be called a troll for this being my first post I absolutely LOVE my Palm Pre... I had both original iPhones (just sold the 3g), a couple of G1's (one for me one for the wife) and bought a Sidekick LX 09 for the awesome screen.

Out of all of them I can sell them all because the Pre is outstanding!!!

With regards to blotchy screens and discoloration my 1st one had it the second one did not seem to have it at all looked perfect UNTIL I received my early fathers day present a set of sun glasses with polarized lenses. Under those lenses the screen is almost not usable. It almost looks like it has a crack on the left side of the screen. Also it looks like when you put a set of non magnetically shielded speakers next to an TV...

Take the glasses off and it looks of...I looked at my other phones with the same glasses and nothing. Oh well I won't cry too much since without the glasses it looks good. May need to trade the glasses in for a different filter type? :/
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I just got a Zagg Invisible shield but not sure I want to try putting it on after some of the horror stories I've read about the liquid installs killing the phone.

Love the Pre, hate the issues popping up, but I guess some of them are to be expected with a version 1 release.
    I hear you... I love it too, but I'm on my second unit and this one has the loose battery issue which causes resets. I have a piece of electrical tape holding the battery in place... but I know I should upgrade. Funny thing is... the thing that is making me not want to go and do the upgrade is that I put an Invisible Shield on, and it was a total pain to apply. I already ordered my replacement shield, but I am not looking forward to doing it again.

To get back on topic though... I have been using the Touchstone to charge... no problems. Doesn't get any hotter than when I charge directly to the outlet. No discoloration problems.
    I know...it's a bittersweet feeling. I started with a Centro, then for some dumb reason moved to a Treo 800W. I've been waiting on this new WebOS forever it seems.

I went to my local corporate store an hour before opening, was 3rd in line and was happy as hell to get the Pre. I also have the blotches at the bottom but at this point, with the Pre shortage I didn't feel like being put on a replacement waiting list, plus it was more of a slight nuisance than a deal breaker for me.

The cracking screens are what is ticking me off. I'm so paranoid that one day mine will crack and I'll be screwed. That's why I hope this issue gets enough media coverage so that Palm/Sprint will have to address it instead of trying to blame the customers.

I just got a Zagg Invisible shield but not sure I want to try putting it on after some of the horror stories I've read about the liquid installs killing the phone. I tried one on my Centro but after about a half an hour ended up wadding it up in a ball and throwing it across the room.

I ordered some of those "static" screen protectors from SmartPhone Experts who had them in stock, so I may try those first. I had ordered from Seidio also but their website was misleading. They said out of stock, while some of the other items said "still under development." When I emailed Seidio about it, they said that the screen protectors are also "under development" and could not give me an ETA. Great..then why not list them as "under development also?" I also had PM'd the Seidio rep in these forums but he never answered my PM, unless he was the one that answered my emails.

Has Palm really been blaming the customers? I haven't heard anything in the way of a response to this issue. I have been a little rough with my phone these last few days. It's been in my front pants pocket. I've been moving around computer equipment at work setting up an integrated testing center for the software I've been working on. Anyway, several times I've cought myself leaning forward against tables with the edge of the table pressed right against my pre. Eeeek!!! Fortunately, no cracks yet.

Hmmm.... Sorry, just realized my post is OT.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Has Palm really been blaming the customers? I haven't heard anything in the way of a response to this issue. I have been a little rough with my phone these last few days. It's been in my front pants pocket. I've been moving around computer equipment at work setting up an integrated testing center for the software I've been working on. Anyway, several times I've cought myself leaning forward against tables with the edge of the table pressed right against my pre. Eeeek!!! Fortunately, no cracks yet.

Hmmm.... Sorry, just realized my post is OT.
    The more topics the better! LOL I'm glad your pre didn't crack its definitely a scary feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Has Palm really been blaming the customers? I haven't heard anything in the way of a response to this issue.
    Actually, I should clarify....from what little I've read, Palm has played dumb like they don't know it's an issue. Sprint reps are the ones that are blaming the customers....although there are a few good ones that have been replacing the phones.

Yes, I realize I don't have a whole lot of information, but I've worked in the electronics/manufacturing industry for over 25 years and have a good idea how the corporate a-holes try covering things up. Deny....deny....deny....blame someone else....anything but admit fault until there's no choice.

Maybe I just need to borrow some of your "mood stablizers."
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I'm sure that the issue with blotches, uneven color, even dead pixels is related to poor build quality of the screen and heat affecting it. But here's where I think the touchstone accelerates the issue - THE STUPID BACKLIGHT STAYS ON WHILE ITS CHARGING. As if charging and using the device normally don't create enough heat, now we are going to charge it - using a hotter than normal method (the TS draws more current than the USB) but we leave the screen on (albeit dim) while we charge. I think it is ridiculous that there is no option to turn off the screen while charging. Unless you are using the device at the same time, the USB charging is MUCH cooler than the TS. The TS produces heat, the battery produces heat while charging, and the damn screen is on.

The alarm clock thing is cute but, gimme a break. I just want the stupid backlight off. It would charge quicker. It would produce less heat. And it would stop annoying me all night long.

I just exchanged my pre tonight (yellow corners) for #2. If I could have waited 6 months to exchange it, I would have. Cause I bet they'll improve the quality so issues like this are minimized. But we only get 30 days. The price we pay for early adoption, I guess.

This one I refuse to charge with the TS until someone fixes it so the screen can be off. Even then it may happen, but I gotta play the odds. Hackers, if you can beat palm to it, that would be great. I just hope it can be done quick, cause that damn touchstone is cool!
    I bought a touchstone and used it for the first time last night. It had the time displayed during charging.

I lifted it off the touchstone and dropped it on the counter! Screen was lit but nothing was on it! I was panicked thinking I screwed it up. Tried the button, nothing happened. After a few seconds the word Palm appeared like it was rebooting so I'm thinking when I dropped it the battery may have been jolted enough to cause a reboot.

One thing I've noticed about the replacement door. It didn't seem to click into place like the original. It's not loose or anything but when I put the original door on, you can hear it snap into place. Not so with the touchstone door, I didn't hear any snapping into place, is this normal?

One other thing, the Phone wasn't that hot and battery voltage was only at 98% when I removed it from the touchstone. When I would charge via cable, it was always at 100%.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast