Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #1  
    Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet:

    When I started using messaging on the Pre, I kind of missed the character counter. I was used to being able to see when I was approaching the 160 character limit. Turns out it doesn't matter.

    Today when I was typing out a text reply, a tiny blue "2" appeared in the lower right of the screen. When I tapped to send the message, I realized that I had gone over the 160 character limit, but the Pre did something really cool...

    It automatically split my message into two separate text messages, sent them almost simultaneously, and appended (1 of 2) to the beginning of the first message and (2 of 2) to the beginning of the 2nd message.

    Very handy!
  2. #3  
    Yeah, it is very nice. A lot of phones do it these days, but for some reason BlackBerry overlooks it (as well as anything text messaging related), time and time again. I loved my BB, but one thing that drove me away from them was their texting. I'm a heavy texter, and their interface/setup is awful. It's like I went to texting heaven when I got the Pre.
  3. Dazo's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yea, its ku, but I got so used to shortening my words and now I have to press backspace on words such as u (you), and ws (was). But it is ku (cool) 4 the ppl (people) receiving txts with string msgn.
  4. Traida's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #5  
    Yup - quite nice...FINALLY....cause the Treo (even 755p) couldn't do this.

    There's a caveat though: do all message arrive in order to your end recipient. For example, if you entire first message were "1"s and the second message were "2"s which would arrive first?

    It's been my experience that even within Sprint Treo messages would sometimes take HOURS to arrive - and then not in the same order (but at least I had broken them apart). If the Pre breaks words in 1/2 (as do some other carriers do) AND delays delivery then messages could get really goofy.

    Time will tell...
  5. #6  
    idk about you guys. when i had the blackberry i LOVED the texting. it sent the whole messages all TOGETHER. while on the pre it splits up. and even when someone messages you a handful of messages say 5 messages even though they are on the blackberry it sends the messages on at a time and it most of the time re arranges the messages. i am a really heavy texter i average of 16k messages a month and when it re arranges the messages it does annoy me.
  6. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I was used to being able to see when I was approaching the 160 character limit. Turns out it doesn't matter.
    Doesn't matter to you, but think about the poor receiver who gets charged per text or is on some ripoff 200SMS/mo plans.

    Personally, I like the limitation because if you can't say it within 160characters then you should be using email. Very few people know how to get to the point nowadays and unlocking character limits isn't going to make things any better.
  7. sevink's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Yeah, it is very nice. A lot of phones do it these days, but for some reason BlackBerry overlooks it (as well as anything text messaging related), time and time again. I loved my BB, but one thing that drove me away from them was their texting. I'm a heavy texter, and their interface/setup is awful. It's like I went to texting heaven when I got the Pre.
    Agreed, I hated the fact they didnt just split it into 2 messages, most people have unlimited texting now anyways what does it matter?
  8. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sevink View Post
    Agreed, I hated the fact they didnt just split it into 2 messages, most people have unlimited texting now anyways what does it matter?
    lol, not everyone has unlimited texting, i got yelled at by my friend on his iphone about texting him 5 times in 3 minutes... then i asked the other iphone users around me (4 in total) only 1 of 4 had unlimited texting plan... woopz.. my bad bud
  9. PreGame's Avatar
    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    #10  
    Thats awesome! That is one thing I hated about the 700p. So what I did for my 700p was create a text messaging application where if i knew i had to type alot of characters or message mass amounts of people it would split the messages up for me and send to however many people i wanted. Glad I don't have to create one for the pre!
  10. #11  
    I have to admit it's handy but really if I'm going to go past the limit of 160 I might as well just call. It would be quicker
  11. #12  
    Great feature. I hadn't noticed the '2' appear on the screen. Now I have to type out a long message to a friend to see it. :->
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    idk about you guys. when i had the blackberry i LOVED the texting. it sent the whole messages all TOGETHER. while on the pre it splits up. and even when someone messages you a handful of messages say 5 messages even though they are on the blackberry it sends the messages on at a time and it most of the time re arranges the messages. i am a really heavy texter i average of 16k messages a month and when it re arranges the messages it does annoy me.
    Seriously? It would only send everything together if you typed 160 characters or under, because that's all it would allow you to type. The Pre lets you exceed 160 and splits them up for you. Very nice.

    Also, it took 2 (laggy) key presses on my Curve to send a text, which was very annoying. I love just hitting enter. It's like talking to everyone in BBM.
  13. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Doesn't matter to you, but think about the poor receiver who gets charged per text or is on some ripoff 200SMS/mo plans.

    Personally, I like the limitation because if you can't say it within 160characters then you should be using email. Very few people know how to get to the point nowadays and unlocking character limits isn't going to make things any better.
    Okee dokee. I'll think about them. Thanks for the tip.

    Here's another tip: if you see the little "2" appear when composing your message, delete some characters until it goes away. Problem solved.
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Seriously? It would only send everything together if you typed 160 characters or under, because that's all it would allow you to type. The Pre lets you exceed 160 and splits them up for you. Very nice.

    Also, it took 2 (laggy) key presses on my Curve to send a text, which was very annoying. I love just hitting enter. It's like talking to everyone in BBM.
    On my blackberry I was able to keep typing as much as it would count as 9 messages on my pre. So for me, blackberry was so much better in texting
  15. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #16  
    I was writing a tiny sms the other day and a little 4 appeared?? what does that mean?
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    On my blackberry I was able to keep typing as much as it would count as 9 messages on my pre. So for me, blackberry was so much better in texting
    I don't understand what you're saying. BB's are notorious for NOT allowing you to keep typing past the 160 char limit. Even if they could, it would still break them up into multiple messages, because it's a carrier limitation that texts can't be longer than 160, not phone.

    Are you talking about BBM? Because if so, that's apples to oranges.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying. BB's are notorious for NOT allowing you to keep typing past the 160 char limit. Even if they could, it would still break them up into multiple messages, because it's a carrier limitation that texts can't be longer than 160, not phone.

    Are you talking about BBM? Because if so, that's apples to oranges.
    no, just texting. this is what i am trying to say, you know how on the pre itll split messages? just how youre saying 160 characters per messages. so it will just go onto another message and add in tiny blue numbers how many youre sending. but on the blackberry i was able to keep on texting WITHOUT it splitting the messages and so this leads to how i RECEIVE THEM. say my friend is texting me, shes on a blackberry and she sends me a full message which counts as one message on her blackberry, and this is a really long message, and she sends me the message, it gets split up into like 6 messages on my pre. by this, when i am recieving them splits up the messages and re arranges them. and what i mean by re arranging is it doesnt display them in order, it arranges them in different ways so i have to keep moving down and up and down and up to put it all together.

Posting Permissions