1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Palm Developer Network Blog » An update on the early access program and the SDK.

With the Pre now in customers’ hands and reports of webOS hacks in the news, we know that you are more anxious than ever to get access to the SDK and start developing for webOS.

We’ve been working very hard on the SDK and are eager to open access on a wider scale, but the software and the developer services to support it just aren’t ready yet.

Our goal is to make the SDK available to everyone by the end of this summer, and to get there in stages:

* Beginning immediately, we’ll accelerate the growth of the early access program, expanding as quickly as resources allow. Over the next few weeks, the program will grow from hundreds to thousands of developers.
    * Simultaneously, we’ll begin publishing more content outside the early access program, and we’ll launching new confidentiality rules that will allow early Mojo developers to communicate more freely with the rest of the world.
    * As soon as we can, we’ll open the SDK to all legitimate requests.

Until you have the SDK, we encourage you to explore other public webOS resources, including the Rough Cuts edition of Mitch Allen’s upcoming book and the sites run by our great community of enthusiasts.

We’ve also begun getting questions about Palm’s stance toward the webOS development “experiments” that have emerged outside the early access program over the last week. We’re focused on building a robust and easy-to-use Mojo SDK, and an ecosystem that benefits developers, end users, carriers and Palm alike. As on any popular platform, we recognize that some developers will experiment in ways that cross official boundaries, but we believe that our formal offerings – and community efforts built around those offerings – will provide the best experience for the vast majority of webOS developers and users.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and support as we roll webOS out to the world!
    Things still aren't happening as fast as I would like with the release of the SDK. I am glad that they're ramping up the early access program, andhopefully we'll see some growth in the app store in a major way soon.
    Ditto. Been waiting what feels like a very long time for SDK access. About time they updated.
    I like how they didnt 'squash' the experiments that have emerged outside (read-PreDev Camp)!

End of summer...I guess we still have a wait ahead of us!
    I dont like that "end of summer" crap. That could possibly run all the way into September. So we are gonna have to wait 3 months for apps to start appearing in a good, consistent fashion?
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    I dont like that "end of summer" crap. That could possibly run all the way into September. So we are gonna have to wait 3 months for apps to start appearing in a good, consistent fashion?
    I'm thinking we'll start to see apps on a regular basis with the expansion of the early access program™.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    Aren't they in California. Summer could drag until October.
    At least they're communicating about it, and acknowledging that there is a lot of demand for it. That helps me feel better about everything. Sometimes customers just want someone to acknowledge that they have a need that is going unfilled.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    3 months... Guess they'll be ready in time for webos phones on other carriers.
    Yeah, the end of summer seems to indicate that they are really ill prepared; however, expansion of the program right now is somewhat encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Aren't they in California. Summer could drag until October.
    that's p.r speak for hope by Xmas.

I think that's what apple said about push notification too... Summer.
    Good news. Now we at least have a time table.
    This makes absolutely perfect sense to me and shows that they're doing things the right way. It's another example of damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they let the SDK out too soon and there were nothing but problems, bad support, and terrible apps, they'd be strung up. Take their time and ensure a smooth release, and folks complain that it's taking too long.

This way, though, they'll be letting a serious number of apps release (and, presumably, higher quality apps) while still maintaining some control over the process and ensuring a good performance.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    This makes absolutely perfect sense to me and shows that they're doing things the right way. It's another example of damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they let the SDK out too soon and there were nothing but problems, bad support, and terrible apps, they'd be strung up. Take their time and ensure a smooth release, and folks complain that it's taking too long.

This way, though, they'll be letting a serious number of apps release (and, presumably, higher quality apps) while still maintaining some control over the process and ensuring a good performance.
    100% agree! I believe that with palm taking a big safety risk like this with eager developers, they don't want to release the sdk when in fact they aren't ready fir it... Blackberry storm & instinct launch anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    3 months... Guess they'll be ready in time for webos phones on other carriers.
    Lets not forget....

1000's of dev's already have the beta sdk. in 3 months, we'll have our Fart apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Lets not forget....

1000's of dev's already have the beta sdk. in 3 months, we'll have our Fart apps.
    Not yet they don't. From Palm blog.

* Beginning immediately, we’ll accelerate the growth of the early access program, expanding as quickly as resources allow. Over the next few weeks, the program will grow from hundreds to thousands of developers.
    iPhone SDK 3.0 has just been released. If Palm doesn't get the Pre SDK out before August, the momentum is lost.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air