Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody know how to do this? I used to be able to do this with my Treo 755 with no problem.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    From what I understand that should be coming soon...possibly with the much discussed update.
    You can send one text to multiple contacts right now. Just compose a new message inside of the messaging app and add as many contacts as you like (there may be a limit but I havent found it yet).
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    from the main messaging screen you can click the plus sign in the bottom left corner to start a new conversation, then you can add multiple people to the text by typing or searching in the "TO" box at the top of the page.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko View Post
    from the main messaging screen you can click the plus sign in the bottom left corner to start a new conversation, then you can add multiple people to the text by typing or searching in the "TO" box at the top of the page.
    Awesome! Thanks guys!

I can't put this friggin thing down!! haha
    This is confusing because you can already do this. So what would the update with "group messaging" be?
    There is no spoon
    Right now you can send texts to multiple individuals but the responses come in individually. I think the update will allow you to see all responses together and possibly respond back to everyone, instead of doing it through 5 or 6 different messaging threads. At least that's how I envision it would work.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywayne View Post
    Right now you can send texts to multiple individuals but the responses come in individually. I think the update will allow you to see all responses together and possibly respond back to everyone, instead of doing it through 5 or 6 different messaging threads. At least that's how I envision it would work.
    The way its currently set up that would get really confusing to me. You reply to one member in a "Group" you'd be sending a reply to every one in the group. I like having it broken up into multiple conversations.
    I want the option to "Reply to All' when I RECEIVE a text message that was sent to a group I'm in. Currently I can only reply to the sender. Hopefully 1.2 fixes this.
    I don't think an SMS tells you the other recipients if it was sent to multiple people, meaning reply to all would be impossible. I could be wrong...
    I have actually wanted this feature from day one. I believe it will allow you to classify a subset of people into a group and then be able to send messages to a group of people at once instead of manually adding the person within the "send to" textbox. So for example, if you group 3 people into the group named "cousins", then when you search in the "send to" textbox and type in cousins then it should bring up that group and automatically send them to multiple recipients.

However, receipt of a a grouped message might be a bit more complex. I also think that sms messages have no header that identifies them as being a part of a group but this is all speculation on my part. I could be wrong. Can anyone verify? I envision this sms group message being put within a pseudo-chatroom style thread within the messaging app and then from there all the messages from the group would appear there. From there you could choose to repond to the person or to the group. Now the issue lies in identifying when the message should be grouped into the group thread or put within its own individual person thread.

Sorry for thinking out loud, just felt like sharing.
    at times I send an sms to 4-5 people, but I am sure they don't all have Pre's, so the reply all for them won't work, and you sure you wanna have everyone see the response John Doe gave you and vice-cersa, would John Doe want everyone to see his response? I think it's not necessary, but then again, it could be a pain to have to reply to 5 more people accrding to one reply ffrom one of those 5...

ex. if I need a ride, and 1-5 can't, there should be a way to reply to all those 5 I initially sent to to let them know I got a ride already...
    The SMS protocol does not have the ability to tell if you received a text as part of a group, like email.

SMS is old and out-dated, it needs an overhaul (character limit?). But that's difficult to do while still maintaining backwards compatibility.
    I've seen this issue in several places (and have been waiting on a resolution since the first day i got my phone). it is at the top of my wishlist.
    Just thought i'd check to see if there have been any developments.
    I coach a couple youth teams and send mass (group) texts multiple times a day... and not having to input each name individually would be a REALLY nice feature.

any developments through updates/app catalog/homebrew/etc????
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yeah this would be awesome. It sucks the way the Pre seems to be missing out on a lot of standard text message features (no text forwarding?? ***)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    This is confusing because you can already do this. So what would the update with "group messaging" be?
    I think the group messaging some people talk about is sending messages to a pre-set group. For example, if I had a group called, Cal Bears, with all of my friends from Cal, I could just add the group and the text message would go to everyone in the group without my having to add each person individually every time.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I don't have a Pre yet, still lugging around my trusty Treo 650, mostly because I can't live without a few key apps. One of them being the "Group Text Messaging v1.0.040930.01 demonstration app by Pa1mOne". I'm not sure why this thing was never developed further, but it is by far the single best and most used application on my PalmOS.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/grouptextmessaging,730.html

I am a promoter for various clubs in Seattle, and I send out nearly 300+ text messages on any given club night (thurs,fri,sat) letting people know where the best party in town is going to be.

I would literally kill or die for this app but with several enhancements:

* the users should be linked to the contact book. currently they're independent so if someone changes phone numbers, I have to update both places.
    * replies from people do not include the initial txt *I* sent them. Not usually a big deal, but sometimes the person is replying saturday to a txt I sent friday and therefore I put them on the wrong guest list or something.
    * would love to be able to put something like "hey %f, come to club foo tonight" and have it expand the %f to their first name before sending them the txt.
    * yes, groups of people are key. I have many many groups.
    * a way to put a person in multiple groups
    * 'virtual groups' would be great -- for example, I travel a lot, so if I go to NY or to CA or something, I want to quickly txt all the people I know in that city and let them know I've arrived and ask what's going on that night? So this would be a group created on the fly from my contacts based upon some search criteria, such as STATE="CA" or "NY" or whatever, not an actual group I create. Ideally, it would be something I could save though, so as I meet people in NY, I just pull up my "NY" group and these people are already in it, as per having their contact info filled out properly when I met them. Does that make sense?
    * the checkbox for on-the-fly selection of individuals in a group is also a key feature I use all the time, as I know certain people are not in town or not into the music on a particular night, so I don't want to spam them.
    * a default "ALL" group that just has everyone in my phone (and I could use the aforementioned checkbox to unselect certain people, and perhaps filters to aid in this too)
    * use of the little pre-defined groups that all contacts already have (upper right corner). So I could then SMS all my "family" for example, without having to have a redundant Group Text SMS group created.
    * sorting by first, last, city, phone
    * view by "first last" or "last, first"
    * ability to (mix) add names/numbers that are NOT in my contact list... I don't necessarily want 1000 club kids in my phone to sift through either.
    * I have zero interest in "group chat" features here
    * Oh yeah, it's also frustrating that the Treo 650 basically is locked up until all of the SMS are sent. This should send them in the background.

I have a ton more ideas and would pay $$$ money for something like this.
    Last edited by DAE51D; 12/28/2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I also remember this from my Treo days and miss this option as it was useful at times to have a set number of people tied to a group, and then to be able to just click on the group and it would auto text everyone without having to load them each time. One example is that it was great around the holidays to wish everyone a Happy New Year. Would definitely like to see an app like this come out with this functionality.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Is there nobody willing to take up a group text messaging application??
    Still using my Treo 650. Waiting for the real apps to come for Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by DAE51D View Post
    Is there nobody willing to take up a group text messaging application??
    I hear you... if I knew how to write programs for the Pre, I certainly would do it! Group text messaging would be SO helpful for me and my business partners. If someone develops an app, I have no problem PAYING for it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast