Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok..

I'm not crazy.. I get every new phone that comes out pretty much, going through about 15 in three years..

So I know phones..

Anyways, I called Palm because thats what sprint told me to do when I went to the store to complain about my dancing signal bars..

I would be on 1x probably a good 25% of the day.. 1 bar EV the rest of the day.. when my HTC Touch PRO got almost perfect signal everywhere..

I called palm and they knew everything about me because of my palm profile, i told them about my wobbly slider (which they said was normal) and my signal issue..

They said that they were aware of the issue, and just to turn on airplane mode whenever i got a 1x... i told them i shouldnt have to do that..

I thanked them for their time and hung up..

This was on monday... since tuesday I have been getting EV 100% with 4 bars..

I think they did something on their end, like push some update or change a roaming id.. or something..
    Last edited by spcs700wx; 06/19/2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spcs700wx View Post
    Ok..

I called sprint and they knew everything about me because of my palm profile, i told them about my wobbly slider (which they said was normal) and my signal issue..
    OK...did you call Sprint or Palm? The title says Palm, in your thread, it says Sprint.
  3.    #3  
    sorry, changed..

i called palm..
    Ok..

So I know phones..

Anyways, I called Palm because thats what sprint told me to do when I went to the store to complain about my dancing signal bars..

I would be on 1x probably a good 25% of the day.. 1 bar EV the rest of the day.. when my HTC Touch PRO got almost perfect signal everywhere..

I called sprint and they knew everything about me because of my palm profile, i told them about my wobbly slider (which they said was normal) and my signal issue..

They said that they were aware of the issue, and just to turn on airplane mode whenever i got a 1x... i told them i shouldnt have to do that..

I thanked them for their time and hung up..

This was on monday... since tuesday I have been getting EV 100% with 4 bars..

I think they did something on their end, like push some update or change a roaming id.. or something..
    After calling PALM, your signal is perfect .... You called sprint and they knew everything about you because of your palm profile ...... "I'm not crazy.. I get every new phone that comes out pretty much, going through about 15 in three years".

Who we gonna call, Palm, Sprint, or Ghostbusters?

i
    ... going through about 15 in three years..
    Damn! Wish I had your job. New phone every two years for me. But if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. Since you're averaging a new phone every three months you'll be off the Pre in no time anyway.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    interesting. If they did it for you, they should just do it for everyone, what could it hurt?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Damn! Wish I had your job. New phone every two years for me. But if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. Since you're averaging a new phone every three months you'll be off the Pre in no time anyway.
    hahaha.. i actually think i'm gonna gonna keep this one..

the only other one i had my eye on was the TOUR but after using the browser on the pre.. i dont think i look back to winmo or non touch screen in general..
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    interesting. If they did it for you, they should just do it for everyone, what could it hurt?
    its def not sprint turning up the signal in one area either, because it was jumping to 1x at home, at work, and at the in-laws..
    So are you saying they pushed an update just for you, or you tried airplane mode or what. My signal is more steady now that i've turned roaming off but it still jumps around.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    hahaha.. i actually think i'm gonna gonna keep this one..

the only other one i had my eye on was the TOUR but after using the browser on the pre.. i dont think i look back to winmo or non touch screen in general..
    The tour would be much more appealing if they would have included wi-fi in my opinion.

Probably was an update. Probably will be in the next update, but because the update will have untested fixes too, they did this one fix manually. Good news though if they've solved the problem.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    its def not sprint turning up the signal in one area either, because it was jumping to 1x at home, at work, and at the in-laws..
    and I can't imagine they would just do that for you either. From things I've heard, they'll send a tech to the closest tower, and to your area, and if what you are reporting is true, then they'll give you the option of an airave.
    pretty much, going through about 15 (phones) in three years.. ..
    Sounds like me, I was hard on my Treo's. Kept dropping them or leaving them on the roof of my car as I drove off. Another one is probably still on the bottom of a lake it fell out of my pocket into .....!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Probably was an update. Probably will be in the next update, but because the update will have untested fixes too, they did this one fix manually. Good news though if they've solved the problem.
    I should have put sarcasm there. With Palm, one thing is fixed, another thing is broken
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    So are you saying they pushed an update just for you, or you tried airplane mode or what. My signal is more steady now that i've turned roaming off but it still jumps around.
    i never tried the airplane mode thing... thats a bunch of crap and they knew it.

actually i never did anything...
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    i never tried the airplane mode thing... thats a bunch of crap and they knew it.
    I agree with you there. Don't try to put a bandaid on it. Fix the problem at hand.
  17.    #17  
    to put a kicker on things, i just received a email from palm this morning for a survey on their customer support.. which i have not filled out yet..
    and I can't imagine they would just do that for you either. From things I've heard, they'll send a tech to the closest tower, and to your area, and if what you are reporting is true, then they'll give you the option of an airave.
    No way is sprint spending labor on "checking towers". They can tell if there is an issue from the way it responds to inquires from their hubs. My bet is that palm knows its a software issue. So does sprint. Maybe they did something through the palm profile or something?
    Software issue makes sense because sprint is so willing to give air raves. Kinda off topic but i bet they figure once the update addresses the issue the people with the raves will probably not even need them. So anyone getting refurbished air raves?
    Could this mean that Palm has the ability to push an update to an individual phone without your knowledge? I'm not sure I like that idea, nor do I think it is at all likely.

Seems more likely that nothing at all was changed on your phone (except perhaps a network update or something) and the change was at Sprint. Maybe their towers are having trouble dealing with the Pre for some reason. Perhaps there's a fix that Sprint can apply to their network to make the Pre work better in the short term.

Still I doubt seriously that something significant was changed just for one user. And I am really skeptical that Palm can push out changes to individual phones without the user's knowledge.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Could this mean that Palm has the ability to push an update to an individual phone without your knowledge? I'm not sure I like that idea, nor do I think it is at all likely.

Seems more likely that nothing at all was changed on your phone (except perhaps a network update or something) and the change was at Sprint. Maybe their towers are having trouble dealing with the Pre for some reason. Perhaps there's a fix that Sprint can apply to their network to make the Pre work better in the short term.

Still I doubt seriously that something significant was changed just for one user. And I am really skeptical that Palm can push out changes to individual phones without the user's knowledge.

the whole reason i went to sprint in the first place is because my wife were at the movies to watch hangover (great movie btw) and while waching previews, she was surfing away @ EV, while I was stuck at 1x.. i couldnt even get the weather update..

so i'm sure my wife and i were using the same towers, but i guess there was the possibility that she got on first? and the tower didnt have room for mine???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast