Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Honestly, the entire story makes no sense. There is no way Palm can push anything to a specific device without going through Sprint. Palm just makes the device and sells them to Sprint. I think a nearby tower was upgraded/fixed/erected near you and coincidentally it happened around the same time as your call. Only explanation.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Honestly, the entire story makes no sense. .
    i agree.. thats why i put question marks in the title, instead of exclamation marks...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    What ever happened to the tower profile file they could push down to an individual phone? I've had Sprint support do that when I exchanged my broken Treo for a new one and it didn't have the newest version on it...
    Coincidence. My signal improved on Monday this week - it just started getting a few more bars on average. I would bet they (Sprint) are doing network optimization for the Pre and it just happens it improved at your location around that time.

And please, if my assumption is not correct technically (that Sprint can do things to optimize the network for a particular phone), let me know!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    What ever happened to the tower profile file they could push down to an individual phone? I've had Sprint support do that when I exchanged my broken Treo for a new one and it didn't have the newest version on it...
    Its called a "PRL Update" and you can force one from the preferences -> network settings screen of the phone app. Make sure you are not roaming and have decent signal strength on Sprints network before pressing update now.
    Wow, that actually helped. I did "Update Network Settings". In my office my Pre kept switching from EV to 1X but now it's consistently connecting to EV. Sweet !
    Quote Originally Posted by donricouga View Post
    Wow, that actually helped. I did "Update Network Settings". In my office my Pre kept switching from EV to 1X but now it's consistently connecting to EV. Sweet !
    I tried the "Update Network Settings" during a time when I had between 3-5 EVDO bars. I kept getting an error message saying "Network cannot be updated, try again later" or something like that.

I get the jumping bars all the time. Usually at work, during lunch I'll pull the phone out and find that it's in Roaming mode. Stays that way most of the day. I guess I should try disabling roaming for now until I actually would need it (which would probably be never.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I tried the "Update Network Settings" during a time when I had between 3-5 EVDO bars. I kept getting an error message saying "Network cannot be updated, try again later" or something like that.

I get the jumping bars all the time. Usually at work, during lunch I'll pull the phone out and find that it's in Roaming mode. Stays that way most of the day. I guess I should try disabling roaming for now until I actually would need it (which would probably be never.)
    Yeah, i took me 3 tries to do it. But i got through and i only had 1 bar in EV
    wow, i updated Network and PRL settings and i'm now getting EV signal in my office, I only ever got 1x 1 or 2 bars even on my 700 wx

also, reboot now and again, with device info and reset options, that has improved my battery life and signal strength over all.
    Last edited by Funky Cricket; 06/19/2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post

also, reboot now and again, with device info and reset options, that has improved my battery life and signal strength over all.
    Good advice - I rarely go more than 2 days w/o a reboot or shut down. Have always done with my Treo's and WM devices.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12