Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does anyone else think the Pre needs a D-Pad? I may be doingthis wrong, but when I make a mistake in typing I can not go back so I am trying to press my finger at the exacct spot of the error and correcting. It is frustrating
    Should have read the manual. If you hold the orange button, you can slide your finger left or right on the screen which moves the cursor left or right in your text.

If you want to select text, you use the same method but hold the shift key instead.
    agree would have been much better with a d pad. Touch does not work well for everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ooneyus View Post
    Does anyone else think the Pre needs a D-Pad? I may be doingthis wrong, but when I make a mistake in typing I can not go back so I am trying to press my finger at the exacct spot of the error and correcting. It is frustrating
    Seriously....

Why don't people READ the manual or Palm needs to teach people better. Far too many people don't know about this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    agree would have been much better with a d pad. Touch does not work well for everything
    It works fine for moving the cursor.

It works more than fine...you can touch anywhere while you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Seriously....

Why don't people READ the manual or Palm needs to teach people better. Far too many people don't know about this feature.
    Exactly, that's how you learn to use things... Should Palm or Sprint have given you a week-long class on using your Pre? One of the most important things I learned when in school was how to research stuff for myself. It's an amazing skill. It creates independent people.
    v2 should replace the center button with a roller or joystick, d-pad or something. It's really useless right now.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I dunno...I still miss my d-pad and shortcut buttons - there's just something about navigating without having to look...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Exactly, that's how you learn to use things... Should Palm or Sprint have given you a week-long class on using your Pre? One of the most important things I learned when in school was how to research stuff for myself. It's an amazing skill. It creates independent people.
    Yes I do the same thing. Hell i don't own a Pre and showed my friend who does.

But the thing is....the vast majority of people are not like that. This is why dumbed down things sell better than more powerful complicated things.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartadog View Post
    I dunno...I still miss my d-pad and shortcut buttons - there's just something about navigating without having to look...
    I agree to a point...its a shame the industry seems to be moving to touchscreen only....but at this point I can't fight the move anymore. My blackberry feels antiquated right now.
    If Palm puts a Dpad in the next Pre, then I would def drop it. Its going backwards in technology. However, I do agree that the current button is useless. If they do put a trackball ala Blackberry that glows or gives notifications, then thats something welcome.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Palm is moving forward. Buttons and desktop syncing are so yesterday.
  13. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    personally i wish they just didnt have that damn button i never use it..shoulda just made the space bellow the screen ALL touch sensative, im thinking about sanding down my botton so its smooth with the phone
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    i miss my centro dpad i wish there was a way to convert the right side of the gesture zone into dpad move ments swipe up is up swipe down is down swip left and right.. you get the idea... and tap of the gesture zone being a center/select button
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    moving the cursor around works fine

highlighting text is another story. it's clumsy as hell.
    I wish the orb was similar to the blackberry trackball.
    I know about the orange-button-move-cursor thing, but I agree a dpad would be way nicer (or 4 keys on the keyboard for up-down-left-right). It'd be so much easier to just click around while editing text, and I'm not a big fan of the "hold this button down while doing something else" since you have to usually get 2 hands involved. A lot of times I like the hold the pre with one hand and type with the other, and you can't really hold orange and drag the screen easily with one hand.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    v2 should replace the center button with a roller or joystick, d-pad or something. It's really useless right now.
    Agreed.

Especially would be nice for moving between text fields, as well as scrolling down a webpage.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    Agreed.

Especially would be nice for moving between text fields, as well as scrolling down a webpage.
    Yea, like the Blackberry roller-ball thingy. Would have been awesome if we had it on the Pre
    Using the orange button and selecting text can be a pinch messy especially since I have huge monster finger's but im getting used to it and have been zipping around a lot better as time goes on.

If you all wanted a Dpad why purchase a product that is "Touchscreen" having a trackball like blackberry (Which I have seen fall out and break waaaayyy to easy) would make the device heavier bigger and clunkier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast