Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I called Palm on Monday to complain that the touchstone shown in picture #1 does not come with a cord or an adapter.
    Is it just me....or does it say...
    "Everything you need to begin using Touchstone Technology to charge your Pre."
    Not until you click on "SHOP NOW" does it say...
    "International Power Charger provided with Palm Pre is also required for use."

This is absolutely wrong.

I finally got a call back Thursday night from one of the customer service reps, and they refused to send me the cable+adapter that I needed.
    However...they said they would give me a discount of $25 towards of the cable needed to make it work. i would still pay an additional $15 for a cable that should have been included.

My hope is that more people complain about this as it is very deceptive advertising.

I dont want anything for free and I explained that to the reps, and I refused the coupon...I paid full price for the charger, holdster,car charger...etc.
    I know i can make it work with what i have, but i don't feel I should have to "make it work with what i have"...
    It should be like they advertise it...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    If you have a Pre, you already havea cable therefore you have everything you need. There are different bundles you can buy. Pretty straight forward to me, you get everything pictured.

Touchstone : Palm USA
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I agree with mike, I work from home. I have an office downstairs. I would have liked to had the touchstone on my desk, and the original cord by my recliner. For $70 you would think it would come with it's own cord.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    If you have a Pre, you already havea cable therefore you have everything you need. There are different bundles you can buy. Pretty straight forward to me, you get everything pictured.

Wrong. I bought my pre from ebay and bought only the phone. the touchstone is not all I need which I learned pretty quickly. Ended up getting the cord for free from palm.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thepalmuser View Post
    Wrong. I bought my pre from ebay and bought only the phone. the touchstone is not all I need which I learned pretty quickly. Ended up getting the cord for free from palm.
    Regardless, its not Palm's fault you didn't get a cord when you bought the phone. Look at the picture, not misleading in any way.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    I agree with mike, I work from home. I have an office downstairs. I would have liked to had the touchstone on my desk, and the original cord by my recliner. For $70 you would think it would come with it's own cord.
    That's a different story. The price of it is high in my opinion too, but I knew exactly what I was paying for. I bought the dual location kit so I got two Touchstones, one back cover, and one international adapter charger.
    Regardless of who's doing what. Unless you were blatantly lied to there's nobody to complain to (or blame) but yourself. We all make mistakes but people really need to know what they are getting into before buying. It's called being a responsible adult.

Any label such as, "everything you need" doesn't tell you anything. You need to examine the list of precisely what's included. That information must be provided somewhere and it's one of the things you should check when doing your research to buy something.

While I feel for you that $70 is quite steep for a battery cover and puck (magnet and coil); I knew that's what was in the box because I researched it ahead of time.
  8.    #8  
    Do you see anywhere at all in a picture that shows the plug attatched to the dock?
    I had no clue there were wires that were needed. as far as i knew it was "wireless".
    "all i need to do is put on the back cover and then place the phone on the Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Regardless, its not Palm's fault you didn't get a cord when you bought the phone. Look at the picture, not misleading in any way.

nuff said. Palm customer service admitted it is misleading, and is going to being including the cord in at a later date.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    Do you see anywhere at all in a picture that shows the plug attatched to the dock?
    I had no clue there were wires that were needed. as far as i knew it was "wireless".
    "all i need to do is put on the back cover and then place the phone on the Touchstone.
    That makes no sense. The thing needs to get power from somewhere to charge the battery. I knew I needed to plug it in before buying.

Did you see the box the Pre came in? It just has a picture of the pre. No wall plug, no cable, no pouch. By your reasoning then nothing should have come in the box but the phone.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    It's not exactly misleading, but it's not exactly clear either. Most people would assume that if you buy a charger it's going to come with the piece that plugs the charger into the wall. If you examine the page about the touchstone for a minute, you realize this is not the case. A lot of people don't do that though.

Palm could solve this problem by not being retarded and coming up with some reasonable pricing/packaging. Like - I get it, okay, wireless charging - cool. But I know how induction works and my toothbrush had it in 1982. I know there's not $50 worth of technology in there.

I can't imagine Palm will continue with the current pricing, it's almost as ridiculous as PPU SMS pricing! They're going to have tons of these things sitting around gathering dust...

So, in case there are any palm employees reading this, here is a revised pricing structure. This should still let you rape everybody, but at least you'll be using lubrication:

Touchstone (+the cord needed to make it work): $25
    The cord alone: $10
    The pre back cover: $15

Note: this isn't what I think the items are worth, this is just the most I'd be willing to pay.
  12.    #12  
    No, it said on the "Pre" box what was inside.
    On the "touchstone" box, it shows what is in the box...
    It does not say I would need to purchase anything else either.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I really have no idea how anybody can be confused by this. Really, no sympathy. Open the links below and tell me how you don't see you will need a cord.

Touchstone™ Charging Kit - Palm Accessories
  14.    #14  
    I am not looking for sympathy. I am looking for clarity on how it is advertised.
    If you read the main screen, it says nothing. until you click "shop now".
    that was the problem...i was not going to hit the "shop now" button because i was
    buying it from radio shack who is an authorized seller.
    I wanted three touchstones...one for the office, one for my home desk, and one for my nightstand. Unfortunately, Palm tried to save a buck by not including a wall plug/wire with the touchstone. As a result of their efforts to save money, I ended up only buying one.

Sounds to me like they lost out on $140 in sales.

Idiotic move my Palm. Whomever made the decision to omit a $2 charger/cord should be fired. It's the only reason people don't buy a bunch of them. While I may be able to order a "kit" from Palm.com, that's not good enough. I want to buy it directly from the Sprint store and be done with it. None of this ordering, waiting business. It's a charger for goodness sake.

BTW, why is Palm advertising an "international kit" when Sprint doesn't work outside of the US...
    I also didn't know it needed a cord until I posted asking. It can be confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    I am not looking for sympathy. I am looking for clarity on how it is advertised.
    If you read the main screen, it says nothing. until you click "shop now".
    that was the problem...i was not going to hit the "shop now" button because i was
    buying it from radio shack who is an authorized seller.
    Out of curiousity, then why aren't you complaining about the Radio Shack salesperson that didn't mention the potential need for an additional cord? After all, they're the one that let you buy it without clarifying what was in the box.
    This really is a bad move on Palm's part. Who in their right mind would think that when buying a charger it would NOT include the cord to power it?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Yes the PRE will work outside US, it will work in New Zealand. When I got off the plan and turned on the phone I a got text message from local phone company telling what the roaming would be, then I turned the phone off and used WIFI where I could.
  20.    #20  
    the radio shack employees agree with me...they were not expecting this situation either. he thought the same thing as I did.."everything needed is there"
    Last edited by mikehoff99; 06/19/2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast