Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now I would not consider myself a fan boy. As a pre owner this made my day.

Paragraph for engadget IPHONE 3GS review.

So while it's tough to argue with the package Apple has put together (a stellar device with just enough new to make it nearly perfect), we couldn't help feeling a bit let down by the 3G S. Maybe we've been spoiled by devices like the Pre and Ion (and it's possible we're a little numb to OS 3.0 since we've played with the beta for a while now), but the additions of video recording, a compass, and a speed bump just don't seem that compelling to us. The mix of new features and a ever-growing App Store will still be potent to new buyers -- but pricing schemes which amount to hundreds more for current owners might give previous early adopters and eager upgraders reason for pause. Ultimately we're not saying it's time to jump ship, but we've come to expect a bit more pedal to the floor from Apple -- you've raised the bar guys, now it's time to jump over it.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    all kidding aside, my 650 had a higher degree of functionality than the Pre. I'm not sure how "spoiled" any of us who actually have the phone are feeling right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    all kidding aside, my 650 had a higher degree of functionality than the Pre.
    For me I have a totally different opinion.
    I dropped my iPhone and killed it so I borrowed my friend's Treo 650.
    It was cool for about a day and then drove me NUTS 'cause I couldn't do anything, that I was used to, with it.
    I went from feeling totally connected to totally unconnected.

I used that up until I got my Pre and it's like night and day.
    I've been able to do so much more with it than I could with even the iphone, let alone the 650.

Of course this is based on my usage.

So does the Pre spoil people?
    In my opinion yes, I'd have a VERY hard time switching to any other phone after a week with the Pre.
    Not saying I couldn't do it, just wouldn't be happy.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    I went from feeling totally connected to totally unconnected.
    does this mean having a nice screen and faster internet?

because just about everything else I could do with my 650. my friend's 700 and 755p could do more (without hacks) than the Pre.
    all kidding aside, my 650 had a higher degree of functionality than the Pre. I'm not sure how "spoiled" any of us who actually have the phone are feeling right now.
    For now. Is this your first phone at launch?
    I adore my Pre, even with some moderate disappointments like yellow discoloration on both lower corners of the screen, abysmal battery life, lacking camera features, crippled text messaging... itls the multitasking capabilities that keep me happy. I can't imaging going back to my Centro.

I have put a lot of faith in Palm that they will ramp up sensibly and add features and apps prudently.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    For now. Is this your first phone at launch?
    yeah, and I'm willing to be patient while Palm works out the kinks

that said, I'm not going to pretend this phone is perfect when it's at least half a year off from really replacing the older models. I would have hoped that at the very least Palm would have released a phone that did everything a 6-year old phone could do.
    From what I’ve been seeing on here, doesn’t sound very hopeful that phone as modem will ever be turned on, seeing as it’s already in the Pre (locked away of course) and functional.

Also, not being able to play wma streams is a major drawback.

I like the Pre’s concept better, but the fact is, I could do much more of what I wanted with my older palms.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Your 650 cannot browse the internet like Pre not in a million years.

The rest of features may be 650 will beat Pre.

Most of the time folks are on the "Net" for many reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash27 View Post
    From what I’ve been seeing on here, doesn’t sound very hopeful that phone as modem will ever be turned on, seeing as it’s already in the Pre (locked away of course) and functional.

Also, not being able to play wma streams is a major drawback.

I like the Pre’s concept better, but the fact is, I could do much more of what I wanted with my older palms.
    Phone as a Modem was turned off for awhile on the 700p and while it was PDANet came through for those who needed to tether. That's why Sprint opened PAM back up on the device. I am hoping for a similar scenario to occur with the Pre.

Kinoma will play wma files when it comes out and yes you needed it on the older palms too!
    We're early adopters of the Pre.

Early adopters should expect a wait for some features to get rolled out on their device. For example, early adopters of the iPhone had to wait over 2 years before they could record video.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/19/2009 at 10:54 AM.
    I migrated from a 650 also, and here are my initial thoughts:

Web browsing on the 650 sucked. It was just barely useful enough to use in a pinch, but I would never browse; I'd only (try) to look up specific things if I need to. The Pre browser is a joy to use compared to the 650.

The PalmOS on the 650 was already old and dated when the 650 came out. It was familiar but out of date.

I used my 650 extensively for contacts and calendar. So far, my Pre is working just fine and syncing with Google. I like having access on my desktop from anywhere, which is better than having Palm Desktop on one machine.

I travel a lot, so the ability to set the time zone for an appointment was very useful on the 650. I need this on the Pre so I don't have to manually convert flight times into Pacific time.

I used ereader on the 650 almost daily. I've read about 300 books on my 650 and I actually like it. I need an ereader for the Pre so I can read my content. And I'm not ready to go the Classic route.

The Pre seems to switch to my bluetooth headset WAY faster and more reliably than my 650 ever did.

The 650 was louder

I was comfortable putting the 650 in my pocket. I'm too nervous to do that with the Pre, and the official plastic holster that Sprint sold on day 1 was awful. I'm hopeful that the Seidio holster will work well.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Early adopters are used to waiting awhile for some features.
    shouldn't be the case when the functionality we're awaiting is several years old
    Quote Originally Posted by derossi View Post
    I migrated from a 650 also, and here are my initial thoughts:

Web browsing on the 650 sucked. It was just barely useful enough to use in a pinch, but I would never browse; I'd only (try) to look up specific things if I need to. The Pre browser is a joy to use compared to the 650.

The PalmOS on the 650 was already old and dated when the 650 came out. It was familiar but out of date.

I used my 650 extensively for contacts and calendar. So far, my Pre is working just fine and syncing with Google. I like having access on my desktop from anywhere, which is better than having Palm Desktop on one machine.

I travel a lot, so the ability to set the time zone for an appointment was very useful on the 650. I need this on the Pre so I don't have to manually convert flight times into Pacific time.

I used ereader on the 650 almost daily. I've read about 300 books on my 650 and I actually like it. I need an ereader for the Pre so I can read my content. And I'm not ready to go the Classic route.

The Pre seems to switch to my bluetooth headset WAY faster and more reliably than my 650 ever did.

The 650 was louder

I was comfortable putting the 650 in my pocket. I'm too nervous to do that with the Pre, and the official plastic holster that Sprint sold on day 1 was awful. I'm hopeful that the Seidio holster will work well.
    FYI that was recalled. Get your money back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    FYI that was recalled. Get your money back.
    I did, thanks.
    Off the top of my head:

This I could do on 700 and 755p, but can't on Pre:

Check hotmail (without killing the battery in 2 hours), listen to audio streams, including XM, use phone as a modem, use AIM (again without killing the battery, and yes it was annoying to go into browser everytime, but at least it worked), boost volume on music.

Things I can do on Pre, but can't on 755p:

GPS, nice, but not really necessary.
    Browse real web pages easily, again nice, but not really necessary, and still can't use flash.
    WiFi, definite plus.
    Look pretty, nice, but not really necessary.

Basically, the hardware is superior, but the software is shoddy. Again, what really scares me is that it seems some of it is done intentionally at the behest of Sprint.

Believe me, I am no proponent of iPhone...I think it's junk aimed at the masses...I'm just disappointed in this new palm product, to the point where I'm considering returning it.

Should also be noted that this costs me more now that I had to go to an everything plan.
    I for one feel spoiled. I didn't expect my Pre to do everything that my centro could do simply because I didn't expect the apps to exist yet. And I couldn't expect WebOS to have all the features right out of the gate as PalmOS which has had 13 years (?) to mature + perhaps 2 years of development time before anyone ever heard of a Pilot 1000.

However, I'm more of a idealist than pragmatist so when I play with WebOS I see what it could be rather than just what it is. I've got the basic functionality I need (and even more, such as Sprint TV). I have no doubt that the rest will come.
    I used a 700p for 2+yrs and I agree that it was a mature platform that had THOUSANDS of apps and hacks to do almost anything! However, it is like NIGHT & DAY with the Pre. The hardware is better in everyway but one (expandable storage), and now only the software has to catch up. I think expecting a platform that is less than 2 weeks old (in public) with no public SDK to have nearly the softward options of the old PalmOS is unrealistic. Patience will pay off.

BTW, the Pre has spoiled me. I no longer make it a priority to bring my laptop to work (to check my email, surf, etc) because I can do almost all of those things on the Pre! I also think 3.0 being a free upgrade to all 1st & 2nd gen iPhone users, its not necessary to upgrade to the 3Gs.
    I expected it to have all the functions of my pro,centro,650 and an espresso maker. I was disappointed by the fact that it doesn't act as a very good designated driver, but maybe in an update?....
    i did a ton with my 755p and centro shoot i could do a tone with my old i500 which was a samsung palm os 4 device i loved them.. the pre is missing some basic functions that those devices did perfect but as for now.. i cant see myself going back to them because i am spoiled by the full web browser of the pre.. if pre cant do it natively you can do it online via google search. now if i could just download files to my pre off of a website which i used to do with all my palm os devices all the time and loved it
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash27 View Post
    Basically, the hardware is superior, but the software is shoddy. Again, what really scares me is that it seems some of it is done intentionally at the behest of Sprint
    you hit the nail on the head. at present, this phone is basically a pretty web browser (w/out flash support). I guess all of the people with iPhone envy will be impressed; as for those of us who've been around for a while, I have a hard time believing that releasing a phone in 2009 that can't do what phones in 2005 and 2006 could do is going to turn many heads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast