Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    all kidding aside, my 650 had a higher degree of functionality than the Pre. I'm not sure how "spoiled" any of us who actually have the phone are feeling right now.
    So did my Centro until I got EAS to work. When the apps come, there will be no contest. For now Synergy is working well for me with contacts/calendar, Sprint Navigation is AWESOME and multi-tasking is a "can't-go-back" feature for me.

Productivity apps will arrive to address minor annoyances, but I'm clearly more productive with my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash27 View Post
    Off the top of my head:

This I could do on 700 and 755p, but can't on Pre:

Check hotmail (without killing the battery in 2 hours), listen to audio streams, including XM, use phone as a modem, use AIM (again without killing the battery, and yes it was annoying to go into browser everytime, but at least it worked), boost volume on music.

Things I can do on Pre, but can't on 755p:

GPS, nice, but not really necessary.
    Browse real web pages easily, again nice, but not really necessary, and still can't use flash.
    WiFi, definite plus.
    Look pretty, nice, but not really necessary.

Basically, the hardware is superior, but the software is shoddy. Again, what really scares me is that it seems some of it is done intentionally at the behest of Sprint.

Believe me, I am no proponent of iPhone...I think it's junk aimed at the masses...I'm just disappointed in this new palm product, to the point where I'm considering returning it.

Should also be noted that this costs me more now that I had to go to an everything plan.
    Obviously, this is not personal, but I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a forum post on any forum anywhere than I have with this one. First, I'd say that while some people loved Palm, the company was months, if not weeks, away from going the way of the dodo bird until the Pre was demoed. Like your Treo all you want but you would have been like the guys swearing up and down that their Amiga was really better than both the IBM clones and Macintosh's back in the mid 80s. Maybe it was, but it was going away.

As for the things your Treo could do, the hotmail issue is as easily a MS issue as Palm (witness Gmail being flawless). I killed my hotmail account years ago anyway as should everyone once they use Gmail (which is night and day better than hotmail and populated by fewer pedos and spammers that make Hotmail addresses put on many companies black list).

Not sure on the XM thing. Never used it, but I LOVE Pandora and consider it better than any other stream I've ever used (for music at least). I suspect XM/Sirius is coming although it may be 6 months.

AIM is a surprise. Frankly, messaging is disappointing in general, I'd say, but adequate for me at least. As for the modem issue, you can use it. Since WebOS is an open platform, have at it. Palm discouraging it is because if they had 100,000 Palms acting as modems in week two of the launch, Sprint's network would crash (witness AT&T's "3G" problems when iPhone launched).

As for what's nice on the Pre, dimissing the browser as "nice, but not really necessary" is like dismissing my car's ability to drive as nice but secondary to it's ability to run air conditioner. The Pre was built around the browser...it was meant to be a data device, not a phone (Jobs, on the iPhone, wanted the phone part not because he loved the idea of a phone but because he wanted broadband access without the need for wifi). Rube felt the same way. Thus, the browser is KEY to what the Pre is. If you miss that, I'm not surprised you are disaapointed. But how do you feel about the Pro? Sounds like you fall into Sprint's concern about making sure they sell the phone to the RIGHT people.

Anyway, as for being patient for changes, if Palm had waited until the Pre was fully ready (software issues 100%), they would no longer exist. I'm happy with their decision. Today, I get a device that, IMO, beats the iPhone today and stands to get much better moving forward. If I didn't want this type of device, I'd be still using my BlackBerry anyway, which I always liked better than the Treo devices anyway.

I guess what I'm saying: different strokes for different folks.

Just my $.02.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Like your Treo all you want but you would have been like the guys swearing up and down that their Amiga was really better than both the IBM clones and Macintosh's back in the mid 80s. Maybe it was, but it was going away.
    utterly irrelevant point as the Treo and Pre are made by the same people. the principle gripe being raised in this thread, and on this board in general, is that one would expect new Palm products to do at least as much OOTB as old Palm products. most people didn't buy the Pre so they could wade through hours of open source hacks in order to get their phone up to the level of functionality of a phone made by the same company several years ago. also, it's extremely naive to assume that a bunch of people who are buying a phone purportedly built around a browser (as you claim) are going to spend time working through OS hacks.

and as for this:

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Sounds like you fall into Sprint's concern about making sure they sell the phone to the RIGHT people.
    are all the people saying OMFG BEST FONE EVERZ!!! indicative of the "right" people? give me a break.
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    It simple, Palm is building a mobile platform not updating PalmOS. We live in the cloud now like it or not and Palm is preparing for it. The old PIM way of doing things is not what selling 1 million units is about. If your truely a old had of Palm remember a few things about beloved Treos:

Chattermail is why Treos did email right, using the built in one would kill your battery if you tried anything other then 1 hour at a time

pTunes is why you could do just about anything good with music on the Treo, you couldn't even assign mp3s withou Ringo Pro or something like it

What I'm saying is as a mobile platform, WebOS will be improved by Palm and 3rd parties and make Palm OS look as old as it is.
    I am totally spoiled by the Pre. I came from the Instinct. I was playing around on my wife's Instinct last night (updating her software/firmware) and felt like I had my left hand removed. I had to put it away very quickly before I got too crazy. I felt like I went from my DSL at home to my parent's 56k.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    all kidding aside, my 650 had a higher degree of functionality than the Pre. I'm not sure how "spoiled" any of us who actually have the phone are feeling right now.
    I also have transitioned from a 650 to a Pre and it has been an eye-opening experience. Sure, my 650 held my calendar and even handled e-mail, if I was somewhere with cell coverage [i.e., not my office!]. Yes - I loved the 650 SMS application - but for the most part, my 650 was an organizer/phone ... nothing more.

You simply cannot over estimate the value of a decent web-browser and WiFi in your phone ... its been almost two weeks since I've had my Pre and I think I actually have managed to make a phone call or two, but it was more to prove that I could do it. I'm back to being fully integrated with my family - SMS/MMS, Twitter, Google Talk, e-mail all working [though I'm still waiting for a great Twitter app] with WiFi!!! ... this device on my hip finally "works for me."

Do I still get the uncomfortable periods of "how do I do this on the Pre" - sure ... I'm getting use to the phone. Do I wish the hardware was a bit better built - yes sir. Do I wish I had more apps (such as a really working native Splash ID) - yup. But my 650 is currently in my garage along with my Treo 300 - and that's where it belongs ... a piece of history who's time has past.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    One thing the Pre can do that NO other phone can, not even WM, is sync with two Exchange servers with Activesync. The core stuff is there, it just needs to mature.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I think cuspie has it exactly right. I went from 650, to 755p, and now I'm on the waiting list for a Pre. When mine comes in, I expect it to be missing features I take for granted on my 755p. And you know what? I knew this would be the case after spending 5 minutes with the demo unit at the Sprint store.

We all knew the Pre was rushed to the market. We read the early reviews about what apps were included and which ones weren't. And if you thought the app catalog would be getting dozens and hundreds of apps from day one to match those that have existed for PalmOS for years, you really have your expectations set too high.

It's up to each person to decide if they can muddle through some lean weeks and months while the apps and the firmware are refined. If you can't, take yours back, and upgrade again when the device and apps have matured. It's that simple!
  9.    #29  
    Wow. I was unaware that Palm users actually like their previous phones over the pre. I came from the touch pro and I tell you what, i have no regrets. The only thing that I miss is video. I am not sure if that will be or can be addressed by Palm but let's hope so.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12