Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Is it possible to keep AIM connected when a call comes in? It seems like I get disconnected whether or not I actually answer the call. Once the call is over, AIM automatically reconnects.
    You can't do data and voice at the same time. A limitation of the network and a point I do not like because I do not want to worry of missing a single call if I am spending time browsing or whatever may be data intensive.

I don't like that about my 1st gen iphone because edge is same way but i guess it hasnt been a pain. fortunately when i have been browsing intensely or have running apps like my stock program streaming realtime, I have been using wifi so that calls can come in.

Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    Is it possible to keep AIM connected when a call comes in? It seems like I get disconnected whether or not I actually answer the call. Once the call is over, AIM automatically reconnects.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    thanks for the response. that was one of the advantages to the web-based AIM on the old Treos...I was basically able to stay connected to AIM for a week w/out ever being disconnected.
    Would be interested to see what would happen if you have WiFi on and got a call.
    If you have Wifi on, data will work while on a call. Tested and confirmed by multiple people.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Funny as the Sprint guy was like "dude Sprints network can do that" (voice/data at the same time). He rambled on about 4G, how Sprint's network smokes ATT's, etc. Guess he was saying everything to get the sale. Its a shame b/c he assured me the Pre/Sprint could do voice/data at the same time. I quickly discovered it didn't Oh well. My BB Bold does simultaneous voice/data on 3.5G very well thank you very much.

The sales folk need better training. Too much sizzle not enough facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Funny as the Sprint guy was like "dude Sprints network can do that" (voice/data at the same time). He rambled on about 4G, how Sprint's network smokes ATT's, etc. Guess he was saying everything to get the sale. Its a shame b/c he assured me the Pre/Sprint could do voice/data at the same time. I quickly discovered it didn't Oh well. My BB Bold does simultaneous voice/data on 3.5G very well thank you very much.

The sales folk need better training. Too much sizzle not enough facts.
    it CAN do voice and data at the same time so long as the data is through wifi. I thought this is basic 101 that everyone or at least those who frequent forums should know between CDMA and GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    You can't do data and voice at the same time. A limitation of the network and a point I do not like because I do not want to worry of missing a single call if I am spending time browsing or whatever may be data intensive.
    You won't miss a call; calls take priority and will disconnect data when they come in.

Use data all you want; worry not.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    it CAN do voice and data at the same time so long as the data is through wifi.
    which is fine if you're in your home, school, or office where wifi is present 100% of the time. this isn't as fine when you're walking around.
    Theoretically, EV-DO Rev A could do voice and data simultaneously if calls were made through VOIP, but neither Sprint nor Verizon has implemented this on their networks.