Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Decent review from an iphone fanboy. AnandTech: The Palm Pre Review
    I thought it was a good review as a pre/iphone comparison with the strengths and weaknesses of each phone.
    Might want to merge this thread with the other one:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...re-review.html
    I think you mean 'decent review from one of the oldest, most reliable sources of tech information on the internet'.

This whole business of painting anyone who makes an informed decision to choose an Apple product as a 'fanboy' is pathetic. Save it for the losers who get Apple tattoos.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I think you mean 'decent review from one of the oldest, most reliable sources of tech information on the internet'.

This whole business of painting anyone who makes an informed decision to choose an Apple product as a 'fanboy' is pathetic. Save it for the losers who get Apple tattoos.
    I absolutely agree. Just because someone that prefers an iphone is a fanboy? So I guess this makes the OP a Palm fanboy as well based on that logic?

I'm sick of these fanboy posts because someone likes something different than you. Why should everyone drink the Palm cool aid? Get what works for you whether it'd be a BB, Treo, Pre, iphone....etc. If it weren't for competition and innovation, we'd still be using a single line pager. This is such a worthless thread...
    I think the term fanboy is one of the most overused and misused terms on the internet.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I think the term fanboy is one of the most overused and misused terms on the internet.
    I always thought it was Nazi.
    It's spelled 'fanboi'. :P
    OK, good review over-all, but it was worth reading just for the iPhone message alert example.
    He mentions the cheap build quality of the Pre and automatically he's an Apple fanboy, huh? Sorry, folks, I like the Pre and I'm going to keep it as my main cell phone but there is no denying that the build quality is nowhere near what it should be to be an iPhone or Blackberry competitor. (It's also nowhere near what it should be for the Pre's price point. If it sold for $300 retail and not $550 I wouldn't complain about it so much.)
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

I've been reading Anandtech, since he was in high school and featured on national TV. He's a big Apple fan in the last few yrs, whether you call it a fanboy is semantics.
    I might get in trouble, but this paragraph from the review nails it.

Bring me a Pre that fixes Synergy, improves performance, has iPhone-like materials/build quality, full search, full copy/paste, visual voicemail and a more mature app store and Iíll leave Apple. Until then, personally, Iíll keep a close eye on the Pre because Palm totally gets it. This is what a smartphone is supposed to be and we finally, two years after the iPhoneís release, have a real competitor both in hardware and in OS.
    I never had or used an iPhone so I'm trusting Palm to fix the software and improve the hardware over time. I'll use my insurance policy if build quality fully fails me.

For me, synergy and multi-tasking improve productivity more than I need the smoothness of iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I might get in trouble, but this paragraph from the review nails it.

I never had or used an iPhone so I'm trusting Palm to fix the software and improve the hardware over time. I'll use my insurance policy if build quality fully fails me.

For me, synergy and multi-tasking improve productivity more than I need the smoothness of iPhone.
    I agree with you and with Anand. That is what webOS and Palm needs. I dont see any reason why in a year or two from now, Palm isnt the number 1 smartphone. The pre is a great stepping stone
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
    I agree with you and with Anand. That is what webOS and Palm needs. I dont see any reason why in a year or two from now, Palm isnt the number 1 smartphone. The pre is a great stepping stone
    I don't think Palm will overcome Apple even though it will have a better offering. Why?

• Deep pockets. Apple will lower prices to compete.
    • Linked products/services. Apple will make more tie-ins with its hardware (laptops) and software (iTunes) that Palm will not be able to duplicate without a dedicated partner.
    • Installed base. Unless Apple neglects multi-tasking, synergy is not a game changer for the folks that just need an *****-proof phone/calendar/contacts/email and want to visit a website or two. That and the gaming, chatting, ipodding, facebooking crew is enough to keep Apple chugging along for years.
    I thought it was a pretty good review. Very thorough and they came to a lot of the same conclusions I did. I didn't see any fanboy behavior at all.