Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's still pretty early in the Pre's product life-cycle, but initial reports from Bloomberg indicate few Pre customers are coming from other providers. It will be interesting to see if this trend can be reversed as time goes by.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Remember you have to stop bleeding customers before you can add new ones.... might take some time to reverse the trend.
    Don't think that WAS the plan up to this point. Until the past few days, most of the advertising was on Sprint's web site and tech sites like Engadget and Gizmodo. Premier (read: pre-existing) customers were heavily marketed to when supplies were limited.

It's pretty obvious they wanted existing customers to drive the June 6 "soft launch" mostly.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Is there enough Pre stock to handle a massive influx of new customers? Especially at the rate some people seem to be replacing their faulty devices...
    Kinda hard to drag mass amount of consumers away from other carriers, when these other carriers have other(Albiet not on the level of an Iphone/BB/& now the PRE) smartphones in their catalog.

If you just per say got Verizon last year, it means youre into your 2 year contract. Well some would take the hit of ETF to move over to Sprint for the PRE, while others might be waiting.

This is not 2007 when the Iphone originally came out. There was no other phone like the Iphone, atleast not one native to Apple. Infact I would love to see the count of smartphones at that time, and Im positive there were no "mini" smartphones(Instinct and the like) at that time. People were more willing to jump to AT&T(regardless of AT&T's service) to try out the Iphone.

Its now 2009, most people that are into smartphones either have a HTC, G1, Iphone, BB, so PRE is fighting in a very large market now. Another huge thing, not everyone uses smartphones.

To most consumers, right now, are they willing to jump over to Sprint from their current carrier, possibly having ETF, in this economic time, for the PRE...when they might already have a smartphone on their current carrier that is sufficient enough for their use? Probably not.

Unfortunately the PRE comes out, when there are already dozens of smartphones out there...its not just fighting the Iphone, but its also going against Android, and BB phones. Little fish in a big pond for the time being.
    seems like there have been people here on this site that have dropped. They can't all be new customers. There must be some incremental.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Analysts often do not pay attention to details.

For example Pre requires data plan as opposed to SERO which means more money to SPRINT.

I will go on one limb and say that

• Will stop bleeding customers to ATT and Verizon.
    • SPRINT will makes more money with Pre customers by either the increased plan fee or addition of lines.
    • Will attract few ( pick your percent number) customers from other carriers.

Cell phone business is weird , I know SPRINT old timers who jumped the ship to ATT knew about cheaper cost of SPRINT yet refused to jump back.

There are many reasons for that first and foremost is the rollover minutes.

They save few minutes a month which will add up to the monthly minutes effecting almost unlimited voice plan.

Second reason is everyone and his brother in-law is on ATT. So they refuse to get off the ATT.

I can tell from folks around me , SPRINT customers who used to pay a cheap 35 or 28 dollars per month are now upgraded to 75 dollars plan.

Apart from this , the BOOST mobile thing is attracting the young college going folks like crazy.

50 bucks for unlimited text , voice and internet ???

All these earnings will add up to SPRINT.

I would say buy SPRINT stock.
    That's a strawman argument on Bloomberg's part.

I was never under the impression that their primary goal was to take away customers from other providers just yet. The main goal was to give Sprint customers a reason to stay.

That said, I am one of those who did switch providers (from AT&T). But I was already leaving AT&T no matter what. The Pre just helped me choose which carrier to jump to.

But no one was planning on some kind of mass exodus...
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Kinda hard to drag mass amount of consumers away from other carriers, when these other carriers have other(Albiet not on the level of an Iphone/BB/& now the PRE) smartphones in their catalog.

Its now 2009, most people that are into smartphones either have a HTC, G1, Iphone, BB, so PRE is fighting in a very large market now. Another huge thing, not everyone uses smartphones.

Unfortunately the PRE comes out, when there are already dozens of smartphones out there...its not just fighting the Iphone, but its also going against Android, and BB phones. Little fish in a big pond for the time being.
    Good point,
    The thing here is to retain your customers with cool new smart phones , and make them pay a bit more for data services effecting billions of new revenue.

I fell for the iPhone trap and bought a 16gig one last year and almost moved to ATT from SPRINT , only to be returned for Instinct.

That , Instinct is horrible is another story , luckily the treo 800W got me going till I got Pre , now I don't have the urge to jump the ship to ATT or Verizon. I am a 10 plus year sprint customer and will probably remain for another 10 years or so if they keep bringing phones like this.
    One question to ask at this point is how much more is Sprint will be making from its existing customers since Sprint required higher-priced plans for the Pre.

I switched from Verizon and I know a couple of others who switched from AT&T. Verizon has been mostly anti-Palm in its selection of phones.
    [QUOTE=gbp;1693516]

Second reason is everyone and his brother in-law is on ATT. So they refuse to get off the ATT.
    QUOTE]

I would change that a little bit, atleast for my area, everyone I knew had Cingular at that time, so majority just stayed with it. It wasnt just AT&T customers, it was alot of Cingular customers who just went along with the merge.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    One question to ask at this point is how much more is Sprint will be making from its existing customers since Sprint required higher-priced plans for the Pre.

I switched from Verizon and I know a couple of others who switched from AT&T. Verizon has been mostly anti-Palm in its selection of phones.

Its two fold

First ,
    The existing customers must be paying ( pick a number here) a bit more , say 10 bucks , that will be 240 dollars over two years.

Second
    You and couple of others are now probably paying 100 dollars each for next two years ( assuming that you took the 99 dollar plan).

Thats 7200 extra revenue for sprint that they stole from Verizon and ATT.

Overall SPRINT will not bleed customers to ATT /Verizon plus make some extra cash on

the data plans
    and
    new customers
    Sprint is still projected to lose customers in the coming quarter even with the Pre release. Instead of losing a million customers per quarter they'll probably reduce the bleeding a little but unless they kick up the marketing and start selling a ton of pre's, I think it's pretty likely that Palm will offer WebOS phones to other carriers at beginning of 2010 and Sprint will keep bleeding.

It's the WebOS that's the prize... not the Pre. People like the WebOS, they'll wait for a WebOS phone to get to their carrier now that they know they will be getting phone. Honestly I kind of think if I can wait until the end of year because I like the WebOS. But right now I dont care to hear about a phone that has splotches and bad pixels and loose sliders and think I'll get a better WebOS phone in 6 months.
    I find it interesting to see all the articles talking about the sales volume of the Pre compared to iPhones at the same point. To my knowledge, the Pres are all sold out and there are waiting lists in most places.

So the sales quantities aren't a reflection of consumer buying decisions (yet).
    Depends on who you are rooting for.

Sprint or Palm?

Palm is doing great with the Pre and will have the Pre and other devices on other carriers shortly. The plan IS WORKING!

For Sprint - if they fail and get bought out - no biggy. Someone else will pick up where Sprint left off and the only thing that changes is where we send our checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Sprint is still projected to lose customers in the coming quarter even with the Pre release. Instead of losing a million customers per quarter they'll probably reduce the bleeding a little but unless they kick up the marketing and start selling a ton of pre's, I think it's pretty likely that Palm will offer WebOS phones to other carriers at beginning of 2010 and Sprint will keep bleeding.
    They're selling them as fast as Palm can make them. That's all Sprint could've ever hoped for, and a success by an objective definition of the word.

It's the WebOS that's the prize... not the Pre. People like the WebOS, they'll wait for a WebOS phone to get to their carrier now that they know they will be getting phone. Honestly I kind of think if I can wait until the end of year because I like the WebOS. But right now I dont care to hear about a phone that has splotches and bad pixels and loose sliders and think I'll get a better WebOS phone in 6 months.
    This is no different than any other phone launch, especially phones with touchscreens. Every one of them, from iPhone to Blackberry Storm have had lots of returns initially w/ most of them related to screen issues. Pre has an additional mechanical component in the slider, and that is simply another area where things can go wrong.

But I'm curious as to whether you think Palm will magically go with a new manufacturer in six months. Or if you think that if Palm released another WebOS device with a different form factor, it would be magically problem-free from day one.

You're more than welcome to wait, but two things will not change: 1) Which carrier gives you the best value for your money (Sprint's objectively way ahead of everyone else in this area), and 2) Which carrier gives you the best service in your area.

That should dictate if you wait, and for whom.
    how many did they have ready for launch... 100,000?
    Boy, thats great for Sprint... biggest numbers for any of there phones ever. whopee.

But you are losing a million a quarter to the others who sell can sell multiples of that on launch day and keep the it going through the quarter into the millions. How many do you think they will sell by end of quarter? Enough to offset the sales of ATT and Verizon combined? And you have one more quarter to make an impact before they get their own Palm WebOS devices.

Sprint messed up... they have a winner and they didnt market it like one... not even close to the way Verizon pushed the Storm and I think the Pre is tons better than that. They messed up by not locking up the Pre for multiyear contract but more importantly they didnt lock up pre because there will be Palm phones on other carriers that will be newer than pre and people with associate newer with better and go with them.

I am a PalmOS fan and Palm with survive... but Sprint will keep bleeding if they dont do something.
    Apple is going to sell 500,000 today... one day! something like that. Sprint should have done everything they can to make sure they had 500,000 and market it and get those babies out the first day too. They had the time to make that order.

To your second part of question, I think they will go to their manufacturer and have them make the needed changes to improve the build for the remaining two years they are supporting the Pre. And if they fail them then they will do with other manufacturers that will build a better phone for them.

Yes, forum posters are a small sample of total owners usually. But you really don't have that many Pres out there and it's concerning if you take in that perspective of issues happening in the first month. I dont expect that many issues with loose sliders, creaking battery covers, screen blotches and bad pixels within a couple of weeks. Just me.

I dont mind the sofware issues because those will be fixed in updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They're selling them as fast as Palm can make them. That's all Sprint could've ever hoped for, and a success by an objective definition of the word.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    folks
    so far I checked my area stores , D.C , all of them are selling hot. This is way way better than the Instinct launch.
    Few areas in D.C have waiting list.

To begin with , the number 50 000 of them being sold on day 1 , is probably not true.

Analysts are like loan sharks , they want some number from PALM and SPRINT.

They might want to do math on how many days ( 13 so far) and how many average per day , so that they can get a number out of this .

I remember the original estimate of 1 million.
    It will definitely going to touch the 2 million mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    how many did they have ready for launch... 100,000?
    Boy, thats great for Sprint... biggest numbers for any of there phones ever. whopee.
    That's (the relative scarcity) a Palm issue, not a Sprint one. And the numbers benefit Palm moreso than Sprint in the short-term too. Sprint is driving up their ARPU, and getting people not to leave even if they HAVEN'T bought the device yet. It's a success thus far. Period.

But you are losing a million a quarter to the others who sell can sell multiples of that on launch day and keep the it going through the quarter into the millions. How many do you think they will sell by end of quarter? Enough to offset the sales of ATT and Verizon combined? And you have one more quarter to make an impact before they get their own Palm WebOS devices.
    There aren't even enough Pre phones in EXISTENCE to offset the number of iPhones AT&T will sell in the next week or so. Again, Sprint can do nothing about this. They're doing the best they possibly can, and selling them as soon as they get them. This will not magically stop when other carriers get WebOS devices because the majority of people wanting these are Sprint customers already and will not leave for a carrier with much higher rates, less services, and the exact same WebOS they can get already. And Palm will continue to feed Sprint their flagship devices going forward since they're the best game in town for Palm.

Sprint messed up... they have a winner and they didnt market it like one... not even close to the way Verizon pushed the Storm and I think the Pre is tons better than that.
    Yes, they should be heavily marketing a product they don't even have in stock currently. That'll bring in the new customers. Yup. That will do the trick.

They messed up by not locking up the Pre for multiyear contract but more importantly they didnt lock up pre because there will be Palm phones on other carriers that will be newer than pre and people with associate newer with better and go with them.
    You don't know WHAT the contract is for Sprint and Palm, nor do you know what other WebOS devices are coming down the line. I've already addressed the "other carriers" situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast