Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Apple is going to sell 500,000 today... one day! something like that. Sprint should have done everything they can to make sure they had 500,000 and market it and get those babies out the first day too. They had the time to make that order.
    Dude, what?! What phones does Sprint manufacture? Go ahead. List them.

Sprint can order 50 farfillion phones. They can only sell what PALM gets from their Asian manufacturer.

To your second part of question, I think they will go to their manufacturer and have them make the needed changes to improve the build for the remaining two years they are supporting the Pre. And if they fail them then they will do with other manufacturers that will build a better phone for them.
    And the first company to reap the benefits of those improvements will be Sprint.

Yes, forum posters are a small sample of total owners usually. But you really don't have that many Pres out there and it's concerning if you take in that perspective of issues happening in the first month. I dont expect that many issues with loose sliders, creaking battery covers, screen blotches and bad pixels within a couple of weeks. Just me.
    You've never visited iPhone forums or Blackberry forums at launch time, then.
    I still had a year left on my contract when I bought the Pre. Even if I had wanted an iPhone, I don't know that I would have risked breaking my contract and going to AT&T only to find that I hated their service.
    I'm sure there are a lot of people on the other side of the fence, especially with Sprint's (deserved or undeserved) reputation for coverage.
    Mikah912... what your post says to me is this... They released the phone too early. They werent ready yet.

I have no idea why they would want to pick a date like two days before WWDC unless they were ready and ready to make a big statement. You don't confidently walk up to a 10 foot standing Grizzly unless you know you have a bigazz gun to take em down. And even then I question your sanity.

They should have waited until after 3GS launch, make sure they have the quantity and keep marketing to get the frenzy going. You should have slipped these phones to tv stars and movie stars for those people who care to see them. Should have let them be spotted in shows like 24 or movies like IronMan.

They release later could have allowed them to finish the SDK, find last minute hardware issues, have more apps available.

It all adds up and they could have done better. This is my opinion though.
    And yes I have visited the iphone forums at launch... I saw the negative black issue and iphone resolved it as quickly as possible. The battery issue like here, they resolved with firmware updates because mine did get better. But honestly, I dont recall much else as far as hardware. (complaints of body cracks in 2nd gen but I have a first gen). Maybe due to less moving parts but I have to say the construction on the iphone has been top notch and that's one thing you can say about Steve Jobs is that he is a stickler for details. Love the glass screen and hard to imagine not having a glass screen.

Never been a fan of BB in general except bold and wasnt happy about their browsing issue at launch but hardware wise I like them. The lack of wifi was the deal breaker there for me.

Again, I have no problems with sw issues because those can be worked on with updates. Hardware I will not deal with returns and refurbs, etc.
    Mikah912... what your post says to me is this... They released the phone too early. They werent ready yet.

I have no idea why they would want to pick a date like two days before WWDC unless they were ready and ready to make a big statement. You don't confidently walk up to a 10 foot standing Grizzly unless you know you have a bigazz gun to take em down. And even then I question your sanity.

They should have waited until after 3GS launch, make sure they have the quantity and keep marketing to get the frenzy going. You should have slipped these phones to tv stars and movie stars for those people who care to see them. Should have let them be spotted in shows like 24 or movies like IronMan.

They release later could have allowed them to finish the SDK, find last minute hardware issues, have more apps available.

It all adds up and they could have done better. This is my opinion though.
    I'm reeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly glad you don't run Sprint.
    Apple is going to sell 500,000 today... one day! something like that. Sprint should have done everything they can to make sure they had 500,000 and market it and get those babies out the first day too. They had the time to make that order.

To your second part of question, I think they will go to their manufacturer and have them make the needed changes to improve the build for the remaining two years they are supporting the Pre. And if they fail them then they will do with other manufacturers that will build a better phone for them.

Yes, forum posters are a small sample of total owners usually. But you really don't have that many Pres out there and it's concerning if you take in that perspective of issues happening in the first month. I dont expect that many issues with loose sliders, creaking battery covers, screen blotches and bad pixels within a couple of weeks. Just me.

I dont mind the sofware issues because those will be fixed in updates.
    Why does everyone think they had the ability to have more phones out on the market but just didn't?

Its clear they started manufacturing a lot later than we thought...just like the iPhone 2.5G.....making a whole new phone is a bit tougher than i think we all are thinking.

Give it a month and we'll have hopefully a more steady inventory stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm reeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly glad you don't run Sprint.
    I couldnt do any worse

Look, it's just my opinion that they werent ready.
    My opinion that they could have done way more.
    I happen to think they have a great great winner here.
    I think they could have released like iphone or even storm.
    I think that the other carriers would have made a bigger splash.

I don't know... you dont seem to think they could have done better.
    Then we agree to disagree.
    This launch WAS NOT designed to steal customers. No ads, no public hype - Nothing. This launch was to draw the internal community of geek users (no insult intended) who follow this stuff anyway.

Most would be people off their 2 year plan or upgraders. Very few iPhoners in this group. Most iPhoners will stay with AT&T, but some blackberry people will move over IF Exchange Sync works well EVENTUALLY.

Palm/Sprint have kept the door from closing on each of them. Sprint gains a toehold and Palm does as well. The story is better for Palm than Sprint. If the phone holds up (read gets updates and apps), other carriers will ensure WebOS lives on for quite some time. Sprint, however, has about 18 months to get it right or they're toast. Palm exclusivity period is not going to solve their problems. I'd be mad at Palm because the bugginess, lack of advertising and apps is going to make this period less powerful than it could have been.
    Just thinking that from the time they showed off the Pre to the public to the first day launch, that's plenty of time to plan to have enough. If not then they should have waited and give them time to finish the sdk and have more apps out, etc.

Hey, it was a success as said by Sprint CEO so I'll take his word for it and see in future quarters how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Why does everyone think they had the ability to have more phones out on the market but just didn't?

Its clear they started manufacturing a lot later than we thought...just like the iPhone 2.5G.....making a whole new phone is a bit tougher than i think we all are thinking.

Give it a month and we'll have hopefully a more steady inventory stream.
    I didn't find the article very informative. Much of it sounds worse than what I read from other sources. For example:

• A survey of retail sites showed that most buyers of the Pre are already Sprint subscribers - I've heard about 30% are new customers to Sprint. That would mean the statement is correct, but 30% from other carriers is very good for a soft opening with virtually no advertising.
    • Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kansas, fell 33 cents, ... Palm declined 68 cents, or 4.7 percent, to $13.67 Both of these ignore the big upswing both Sprint and Palm enjoyed because of the Pre. Sprint was trading at $1.95 in January, and Palm was at $3.12. Both are trading at higher rates today than they were the Monday after launch ($4.96 an $12.16 respectively)

It would appear that the article is trying to paint a dim future for both Sprint and Palm, but recent events don't really support that...
    I couldnt do any worse

Look, it's just my opinion that they werent ready.
    My opinion that they could have done way more.
    I happen to think they have a great great winner here.
    I think they could have released like iphone or even storm.
    I think that the other carriers would have made a bigger splash.

I don't know... you dont seem to think they could have done better.
    Then we agree to disagree.
    You understand that all of the things you're describing takes money, money that Palm (and Sprint) did not have in abundance. Both companies were very near failing, and have come out of it. Part of "coming out of it" means carfully planning on how they spend their money. I don't think they had the means to build 500,000 units for the June launch. They ain't the govt, they can't spend what they don't have.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    tied to this:

The Palm Pre has been out for nearly two weeks, and seems to be doing pretty well. But some numbers have surfaced that cast a shadow over the device's success: Pre users just aren't downloading many apps, despite the fact that there seems to be many developers ready to build apps for the phone.

The data comes from Medialets, a mobile analytics firm that has been sniffing around in the App Catalog, and has decided that only about 660,000 downloads have occurred. Assuming some 200,000 Pres have sold--pretty reasonable given that some 50,000 were sold in the first weekend--that's an average of 3 apps per user.

And that kind of spells trouble for Palm, since app sales are going to be vital to push the sales of the Pre itself. A mere three apps per user either suggests the user's aren't into downloading apps, which is unlikely, or there's some other blockage going on. The store does have just 30-odd apps available, which will play into the sales statistics, and they simply may not be very desirable for the average Pre user.

Where Are All the Palm Pre App Downloads? | Technomix | Fast Company
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You understand that all of the things you're describing takes money, money that Palm (and Sprint) did not have in abundance. Both companies were very near failing, and have come out of it. Part of "coming out of it" means carfully planning on how they spend their money. I don't think they had the means to build 500,000 units for the June launch. They ain't the govt, they can't spend what they don't have.
    Yup.
    money , money and more money .
    Folks here keep forgetting that , PALM stock was at 1 dollar range.
    They were neat bankruptcy.
    SPRINT is no different in 2008.
    But I see SPRINT improved their customer service.
    I see them bringing cool phones ( android phone is next).

They are even getting business phones , HTC Touch Pro 2 and the new Blackberry.

If anything SPRINT has more upside than PALM with respect to their current stock price.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12