Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    can someone please write a bunch of useless fart apps so people will stop complaining about something they knew about when they bought the phone. My word people, do you want them to put out a load of useless buggy apps or a few useful apps. Sometimes I think people are expecting 40,000 apps in the first year.
    you know you would be the first one downloading those fart apps and would be coming to this forum asking which fart app is the best.
    upset? no.

surprised? yes.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benj0iner2oo3 View Post
    I am potential convert from the cult of Iphone but right now I am a little dissapointed. I was an early adopter for the Iphone just as I am now with the Pre and I must say that I never had this many problems with my Iphone. And, as much as I hate AT&T's pricing compared to Sprint's, AT&T's service in my area is so much better than Sprint/Nextel's. What kills me is how much I really like my new Pre. Its such a cool device and, yeah there are a few things I'll miss from the Iphone but I want to have faith that the developing Pre community will rally behind and bring so many better features to the Pre as soon as the SDK is released.
    But I say all of that to say this: I really hope Palm releases some new apps or maybe the awaited update today. Sprint has 30 days to really get me hooked and I really want to be hooked but to be able to put up with bad signal strength at my home and at my job I would really like to feel the love from Sprint and Palm in the next few days.
    Well, seeing how much hacking/homebrew has been done to it in a matter of 2 weeks, I'd say it looks like it's going to have a strong community.
    I am not upset. I came from having an Instinct, which had almost no apps.
    So this is the first phone I have owned that really has apps. I am looking forward to what will be coming out, hopefully soon.
    For the iPhone converts (*Myself included). When the iphone launched, we had NO functionality, hence the *perceived* reliability. I mean there was a mail app (basic) browser (Buggy through 2.2.1), stocks, contacts, weather, SMS... I mean if the pre came out wth this limited functionality, I'm sure we'd see less bugs. Apple has been working on basic features for three years. I know we all want full-functionality "out-the-box" but we have to be realistic and not get too wired about it. Yes, I want apps. But I want to make sure the core functions are working as a phone / communications device. The apps will come. It hasn't even been a month yet. PATIENCE!!!
    Yup... disappointed. With this open OS, I thought for sure programmers would be all over this... Guess Not.
    That's what people were saying and excited about when they saw Android. It's popular but hasnt really exploded like they wanted to. Maybe cause stuck on T-Mobile somewhat like WebOS stuck on Sprint for now? Second wave of Android phones coming out soon and on multiple carriers so I would see a resurgence in Android and watch that carefully. You guys always refer to Apple but I think your real competition right now will be Android and maybe even Storm2.

For some reason Android never interested me. I like WebOS better. I never liked Blackberry OS.
    A little disappointing but not really much.... it game me time to get more familiar with the phone itself and not all the toys for it. I'm sure there will be a spike in apps very soon once the developers and everyone else jump on bored the pre train.
    I think it's the calm before the storm. If Palm were smart it would be all hands on deck to push out an update to fix some of the issues. After the update which is rumored today or early next week we will see more apps.

I also believe the SDK will be released before the end of June. Palm is under a lot of pressure to get it out the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Meh.....be patient, once the SDK is released there will likely be more then you know what to do with.
    That's gonna be true for a bunch of trivial useless apps, but not for things that are really interesting/useful.

My big concern is the time for the learning curve required to really get into webOS. After the SDK is finally released, there's going to be a big delay while new developers get their brains wrapped around it, then another delay to actually write & test the apps, and then an unknown delay to get something published by Palm.

In the mean time, developers and consumers are going to be watching to see if this new platform has critical mass. Consumers want a strong developer community with lots of apps, and developers need a large consumer base to make their efforts pay off. Achieving this mutual critical mass is vital, and hard. A huge mistake by Palm was not getting the SDK, or even pieces of it, into the hands of developers in advance. The delay now may cause too many consumers AND developers to delay adoption, and that critical mass may never come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaqdymun View Post
    Yup... disappointed. With this open OS, I thought for sure programmers would be all over this... Guess Not.
    I am sure they will be once the SDK is released. Right now, there is no official way to produce an app unless you were invited to the webOS SDK beta.
    I would like to see more apps, but i'm realistic about the process.

I would rather see them update some of the bugs within the phone itself before they unleash a bunch of supplemental apps.

I can wait a week or two for snazzy new apps. I can't wait much longer for a comprehensive OS update.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm enjoying my Pre. I'll let you guys ruin your day by waiting for updates and apps. When the updates and the apps arrive i'll still be happy and you will be upset again waiting for newer apps and newer updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    They will likely wait on the release of any new apps until after the OS update, if that rumor is true.

But in general, we all seem to be an extremely impatient lot, don't we?

Palm has been consistent thus far in telling the consumer its time tables, and yet we continue to demand "now" and when it is not delivered we forcast the destruction of the company. PAlm and Sprint and now working on making money on phone sales. The App Catalog is not generating them a dime as of yet. They have stated time and again the SDK will be released after the Phone's introduction, and that they have a few key partners working with them now. Palm has, really, been nothing but forthright with this information. But still we clamor for "more, better faster!"
    Amen to that! I am just happy with my phone, period! And trust that the apps will be flooding in soon.

People need to calm down. And if people are that fairweather and willing to go to another phone so quickly...then stop complaining and go do it, already!
    Ya'll need to chill out. Seriously go play with an iPhone 1.0 and compare it to a Pre today. Apples and oranges? Of course. But Apple has had 3 years to improve the iPhone and 2 years of apps development. Palm has had LESS THAN TWO WEEKS.

I know that many of you are anxiously checking your calendars for the July 6th return date to see if you want to keep it or not, but when that date comes and we are only at 1.0.3 f/w with 40 apps, I would not take that as a harbinger of things to come. Palm released the phone and was spending most of their time working on the rollout until early last week. Then they need to aggregate all the opinions, reviews, requests, bug reports, etc and see where they should best spend their time in the next 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, etc. A large company can't respond to things as quickly as you'd like unless you want to get a fragmented, buggy update that 10 different groups were working on and threw together before pushing out the door.

They know they need to have a 1.0.3 update before the 30 day limit, and they need some more apps. They are going to do this exactly the same way they did the "first half of 2009" release date - meet the deadline and put out the best possible product they can. I promise you they are going to try to make 1.0.3 as good as they possibly can - and to do that, they will need a little more time than 10 days.

Same thing goes for apps.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    everyone shut up. if the reason you bought this phone is for "apps" you bought the wrong damn phone. just wait and stop crying like a bunch of whiners.
    Yes you CAN compare this launch with the iphone launch because that's how launches are conducted.
    If the lack of apps make you jump ship then jump ship already and get an iphone and get off the boards.
    Technically your timeline is a bit off... Both companies have had longer than you're stating. It's not like Palm just came up with the Pre in January showed it at the CES and decided let's arbitrarily release it 5-6 months later. They had a functional device then, but obviously it still had a lot of kinks to work out and will continue to. The same is true for Apple, they released the iPhone in June of 2007, but were working on the device and its OS full speed at the beginning of 2006, and didn't announce their product until MacWorld in January of 2007. (but with a release in June 07 that's actually 2 years to improve not 3, and 1 year of app development not 2, it really hasn't been that long that the app store has been open, it just seems that way)

While I respect what Palm is doing with the Pre, it's a bit naive to make statements comparing the Pre to the first version of the iPhone. That was two years ago, making comparisons to a 2 year old device is being a bit too apologetic in today's competitive smartphone environment. It is not the same. Consumers' expectations for what a phone can and should do have changed. Consumers compare one company's product today to the others that are on the market... today.

Bottom line - Apple knows that it is the apps and app development that really will differentiate its device from the others, their ads make this abundantly clear (there's an app for that). Are people placing unreasonable expectations on Palm and the number of apps released to date? Probably, but those expectations were created by the market and to remain competitive Palm needs to step it up. Here's hoping there's improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    Ya'll need to chill out. Seriously go play with an iPhone 1.0 and compare it to a Pre today. Apples and oranges? Of course. But Apple has had 3 years to improve the iPhone and 2 years of apps development. Palm has had LESS THAN TWO WEEKS.

I know that many of you are anxiously checking your calendars for the July 6th return date to see if you want to keep it or not, but when that date comes and we are only at 1.0.3 f/w with 40 apps, I would not take that as a harbinger of things to come. Palm released the phone and was spending most of their time working on the rollout until early last week. Then they need to aggregate all the opinions, reviews, requests, bug reports, etc and see where they should best spend their time in the next 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, etc. A large company can't respond to things as quickly as you'd like unless you want to get a fragmented, buggy update that 10 different groups were working on and threw together before pushing out the door.

They know they need to have a 1.0.3 update before the 30 day limit, and they need some more apps. They are going to do this exactly the same way they did the "first half of 2009" release date - meet the deadline and put out the best possible product they can. I promise you they are going to try to make 1.0.3 as good as they possibly can - and to do that, they will need a little more time than 10 days.

Same thing goes for apps.
    I get a kick out of those that think that 49,998 iPhone apps out of the available 50,000 are "farting" or otherwise worthless in focus.

Wrong.

Please don't comment on something you know nothing about. I always feel like I need to say this around here, but I'm also not an Apple fanboy. I have been using all platforms for many, many years.

I just can't stand inaccurate comments.
    I can't say I'm upset because I really love the phone. I do feel that the first week did kind of create some expectations. Apps were being released every day, and even though none of them have really appealed to me (except Accuweather, Pandora, Fandango), I figured with a few a day something is bound to interest me. Then, they just stopped coming.

Supposedly there is an update coming today, or next week, or whenever. I know they are probably working on it. But, they should know something about us. Most of us waited an hour or two before the store opened, or even earlier, to get a Pre on launch day. That is what, 50,000 sales give or take based on estimates? We are friggin excited about this phone, and it seems like most people who kept it are really happy with it. Why not keep us in the loop? Just a daily message at the minimum?

Who is it going to hurt if they tell us "Hey, the update is 2 or 3 days away at the rate we're going, and we're working on the main concerns like battery life and bug fixes, and we're going to throw in some extra new features too" or something along those lines.

Also, some sort of information about the expected release of the SDK would be nice. Then we could get some sort of estimate of when the apps would come pouring in.

Anyway, I have had --0-- problems with my pre since launch, and even the battery life has gotten way better. I can wait for apps and updates, I just wish that first week hadn't raised my expectations.
    I'm not really expecting much until the API is released. Software takes time to develop (Ever tried to write some?) and very few developers have access to the API right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast