Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This seems like such a stupid question but I just want to know what my options are in regards to using the Palm Pre in my vehicle.

I'd mostly be using the palm for just listening to music. What are my options for getting my pre to play through my car speakers. I wish I drove a newer model vehicle that came with the cord that I could just plug in but unfortunately I don't have that option.

Also, I'm not sure if there are many different car kits for charging and maybe even a charger + mount. But if there are, any recommendations? I'd like to be able to plug in my phone into my car and have it charge while I hear the music played on it and the turn by turn directions when I need it as well.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments?
    Get a cassette adapter if you car has a cassette player. Then plug the cord into your headphone jack. I certainly prefer this to the FM transmitters I've tried.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc000t View Post
    This seems like such a stupid question but I just want to know what my options are in regards to using the Palm Pre in my vehicle.

I'd mostly be using the palm for just listening to music. What are my options for getting my pre to play through my car speakers. I wish I drove a newer model vehicle that came with the cord that I could just plug in but unfortunately I don't have that option.

Also, I'm not sure if there are many different car kits for charging and maybe even a charger + mount. But if there are, any recommendations? I'd like to be able to plug in my phone into my car and have it charge while I hear the music played on it and the turn by turn directions when I need it as well.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments?

Having the luxury of an "AUX" port in my Suburban, I bought a 12" 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable for $5 at Radio Shack,and it allows for music, Sprint Nav Voice Turn-by-Turn and hands free phone calls over the stereo system, with the Pre sitting in the console. Works great for all three and the mic picks me up fine for the person on the other end of a call.

I doubt it will mute music if a call comes in - time will tell.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I got this on eBay for $10. Works perfectly for the Pre, with configurable parts so that all ports are available on the phone. Have audio going through an FM transmitter and charge the Pre with a USB car charger I had lying around. Works amazingly well. GPS, music, and more all while I'm driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    Having the luxury of an "AUX" port in my Suburban, I bought a 12" 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable for $5 at Radio Shack,and it allows for music, Sprint Nav Voice Turn-by-Turn and hands free phone calls over the stereo system, with the Pre sitting in the console. Works great for all three and the mic picks me up fine for the person on the other end of a call.

I doubt it will mute music if a call comes in - time will tell.
    Yes, it does mute the music if a call comes in. If using the music app, and not pandora, it even pauses it.
    At present, your kinda stuck. By that, I mean the touchstone is the only viable way to charge the phone in a car (plugging in a MicroUSB would be a pain and might break the Pre or the plug if something bad happened). However, I doubt the touchstone's mag force is strong enough to hold the Pre during swift breaking/accelerating.

What we need is a touchstone charger with a clamp on a windshield suction cup mount. I'm sure someone will market this after they see the Pre as a viable market but it won't be soon.

You'll have to rig one yourself.

As far as audio, there are plenty of after-market A2DP bluetooth car kits. Take a look:
    www .parrot. com
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Love this forum btw
    ... I bought a 12" 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable for $5 at Radio Shack....
    $5?!? Forget that I bought a 24" retractable 3.5 M/M at Monoprice for only $.80 Shipping added $1.50 but still a great deal. And the price actually goes down if you buy more of them.

hxxp:// w w w.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=4152&seq=1&format=2

You know got to save as much as possible on accessories now that I am spending more monthly on my Sprint Plan
    has anyone found a nice car phone holder for pre?
    If you have folled the sprint tv extra thread you will understand why I will not be responding to this thread.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tercero12 View Post
    However, I doubt the touchstone's mag force is strong enough to hold the Pre during swift breaking/accelerating.
    Actually it is rock solid. Hard turns, railroad tracks and emergency braking, no problem.
    This is the feature of the Pre that I am enjoying most. Supremely convenient, and the battery is no longer an issue at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The ProClip holders are the top of line holders (with price to prove). Me so happy - the Treo holders we have fit the Pre perfectly (keyboard open & closed).
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Works great for all three and the mic picks me up fine for the person on the other end of a call.
    Do you have to tap the speakerphone button when you answer, or does the mic automatically activate while using the aux with the headphone jack? I was thinking you would need an inline mic like the included headset has for that to work.

Actually, that would be cool... a 3.5 aux wire with an answer button and a mic you can stick wherever you want.
    i mentioned in this thread last night how you can use aux port or even tape adapter which is what i am using and have it work flawlessly
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...aster-egg.html
    i mentioned in this thread last night how you can use aux port or even tape adapter which is what i am using and have it work flawlessly
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...aster-egg.html
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    buy a car with an aux input. Im totally being serious. The sound quality of a tape deck or fm transmitter just cannot compare to a direct stereo input.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Cool... I give it a try!
    Good cheapo option.

• Cassette or CD adapter to 3.5mm -$10
    • Sprint car charger found on eBay for $10
    • iGrip universal vent mount $20

Better
    • Bluetooth
    • Motorola Charger
    • Touchstone
    • Proclips Mount

$150-200

I'm in between using 3.5mm AUX jack in stereo, iGrip with no Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    buy a car with an aux input. Im totally being serious. The sound quality of a tape deck or fm transmitter just cannot compare to a direct stereo input.
    i bought a really nice tape adapter so it sounds great but yes agreed i put in my own deck in my old car and it was nice having the aux port but this new car the stero is good quality stock and fits the dash just perfect would ruin the look of the car. as for the car its perfect car for me with everything i want minus the aux port. some how i will figure out how to make the tape button on the stereo into an aux button and wire an aux port to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami View Post
    The ProClip holders are the top of line holders (with price to prove). Me so happy - the Treo holders we have fit the Pre perfectly (keyboard open & closed).
    I have a ProClip that I am using (from my old 700p) and it works well.

You can also buy a new radio with either Bluetooth with A2DP or an AUX port. And you can buy some new for under $100 at crutchfield.com and you will be all set! I might buy my wife a Bluetooth one (most come with an AUX input) since we are going to keep her SUV at least another year or so. I think this is a FAR better solution than FM transmitters (and almost as cheap if you check out my link).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast