Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    What do I use as proof? Quite simply, the complete absence of speed comparisons with the Pre in every review.

I think I've only read one or two small mentions of the Pre in the six or seven major reviews of the 3GS. This is heavily in contrast to the point-by-point comparisons Pre vs. iPhone in all reviews of the PrPrPr, $but$ $fine$, $that$'$s$ $mostly$ $excuseable$ $There$'$s$ $not$ $enough$ $space$ $to$ $compare$ $against$ $Android$, $Symbian$, $etc$. $before$ $this$ $ADD$ $generation$ $starts$ $losing$ $interest$ $in$ $the$ $column$.

(Then again, please note obligatory five paragraphs on revolutionary tech such as iCopy & iPaste, iCompass and iNike+.)

HOWEVER, as I recently learned the S did NOT stand for "sheep" but for "speed", wouldn't it be completely logical to compare it to a recent platform with top-of-the-line hardware specs, i.e. the Pre? The 3GS' supposed speed boost is supposed to be the foremost selling point after all.

Many Pre reviews already applaud the WebOS' browser for having beat the 3G in terms of speed. Now that the 3GS has been amped up, they should have showed it kicking Pre's ****, right?

Wrong.

No mention. No side-by-side tests. Nothing. Their silence is defeaning. Do these people get a check, goody bags, what?

Well, they must get something...because there IS no ****-kicking going on and they don't think it's worth a foornot. In terms of browser speed at least (not possible to compare with Pre's non-existant games!!!) the revamped monotasker was NOT the victor ---

Pre vs 3G vs 3GS speed comparison (Thanks to jsimon9633 for the link!)

Gotta love the Pre's 1'40" boot-up time!!!!

Note: Whups. Just saw that the video in the link I posted above comes from CNET. Must be a followup review. Please restrict my rant to the first wave of 3GS reviews...:D
    Last edited by Goyena; 06/19/2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    The 3GS officially came out today. You will start seeing all those comparisons very soon. What's the point if they did comparisons against the 3G with last years hardware and software. 3.0 was just officially released a couple of days ago. The ones that did get them... Press blackout to do those things. Geez.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    it was just released this morning. Those comparisons will come. (i look forward to them also)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    The 3GS officially came out today. You will start seeing all those comparisons very soon. What's the point if they did comparisons against the 3G with last years hardware and software. 3.0 was just officially released a couple of days ago. Geez.
    The reviewers had fully-functional units for the 3GS, just like they did for the Pre before the official release. All saw fit to freely compare the Pre with the iPhone, for better or worse. What was missing in the iPhone 3GS reviews was the tit in their tat.

But you don't get more free tech from Apple if you title your review
    "THE new iPHONE 3GS, where the S is supposed to stand for 'speed' but actually stands for 'Still Not Faster than the Pre' "

How about 3GRS? (Relative speed?)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Is there a way to filter out all the iPhone posts over here? Talking about an obsession...
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    yup
    me thinks ATT will fail the 3GS
    You probably missed my edit I mention press blackout for certain stuff. They all have their rules and reasons but like I said, the phone is out today so soon you'll see them. You really think there is a conspiracy?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    You probably missed my edit I mention press blackout for certain stuff. They all have their rules and reasons but like I said, the phone is out today so soon you'll see them. You really think there is a conspiracy?
    Just read your edit. I love a good conspiracy theory, but my rant has nothing to do with that. All press has bias, especially when dealing with multi-million dollar industries. In essence, I do agree with you...these are the rules and/or agreements that such columnists agree with and are bound to.

The very fact that a select few reviewers get units before an official release date should clue people in. Do you think they just get an UPS box, with a note, "Thanks for your honest review, Mr. Mossberg"?

One note: The term "press blackouts" is usually employed with events requiring transparency, such as before an initial public offering of stock, since they're imposed by a higher authority. My first post was moaning about their non-disclosure, meaning they willingly agreed to omit certain things, either expressly or otherwise.
    i'm not holding on tight to the conspiracy theory, but the iphone sure is popular, and quite the media darling. i imagine blog entries and articles that fawn and truckle to it generate more hits and less vitriolic comments than those that criticize.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Is there a way to filter out all the iPhone posts over here? Talking about an obsession...
    I have neither iPhone nor Pre, and have been looking to upgrade my Treo 600, but I live in France where the G1 and Magic both just were release LAST MONTH. I visit and post in forums to discuss and research.

I'm not sure what you're doing here, other than clicking on topics (the thread title was quite unequivocal) and posting in threads that you admittedly don't care about.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    i'm not holding on tight to the conspiracy theory, but the iphone sure is popular, and quite the media darling. i imagine blog entries and articles that fawn and truckle to it generate more hits and less vitriolic comments than those that criticize.
    Ah. You're right. There is that too. Give the people what they want to hear. Good point!
    Believe me... No matter pro iPhone or not, sites are chomping at the bit to do be the first to do speed tests to the thousandth of a second and beat everyone to the punch. Again, very soon.
  13. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    The reviewers had fully-functional units for the 3GS, just like they did for the Pre before the official release. All saw fit to freely compare the Pre with the iPhone, for better or worse. What was missing in the iPhone 3GS reviews was the tit in their tat.

But you don't get more free tech from Apple if you title your review
    "THE new iPHONE 3GS, where the S is supposed to stand for 'speed' but actually stands for 'Still Not Faster than the Pre' "

How about 3GRS? (Relative speed?)
    The S actually stands for Standard

It should've been named as follows, verbatim

The new.. 3G iPhone Standard .... ..... finally.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    So many factors to take into account for a speed test: network coverage, factory settings or not (emptying cache?), etc.

What's nice sometimes is a plain ol techie comparison of the hardware in semi-layman's language. Check out Anand Lal Shimpi's article for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    What do I use as proof? Quite simply, the complete absence of speed comparisons with the Pre in every review.

I think I've only read one or two small mentions of the Pre in the six or seven major reviews of the 3GS. This is heavily in contrast to the point-by-point comparisons Pre vs. iPhone in all reviews of the PrPrPr, $but$ $fine$, $that$'$s$ $mostly$ $excuseable$ $There$'$s$ $not$ $enough$ $space$ $to$ $compare$ $against$ $Android$, $Symbian$, $etc$. $before$ $this$ $ADD$ $generation$ $starts$ $losing$ $interest$ $in$ $the$ $column$.

(Then again, please note obligatory five paragraphs on revolutionary tech such as iCopy & iPaste, iCompass and iNike+.)

HOWEVER, as I recently learned the S did NOT stand for "sheep" but for "speed", wouldn't it be completely logical to compare it to a recent platform with top-of-the-line hardware specs, i.e. the Pre? The 3GS' supposed speed boost is supposed to be the foremost selling point after all.

Many Pre reviews already applaud the WebOS' browser for having beat the 3G in terms of speed. Now that the 3GS has been amped up, they should have showed it kicking Pre's ****, right?

Wrong.

No mention. No side-by-side tests. Nothing. Their silence is defeaning. Do these people get a check, goody bags, what?

Well, they must get something...because there IS no ****-kicking going on and they don't think it's worth a foornot. In terms of browser speed at least (not possible to compare with Pre's non-existant games!!!) the revamped monotasker was NOT the victor ---

Pre vs 3G vs 3GS speed comparison (Thanks to jsimon9633 for the link!)

Gotta love the Pre's 1'40" boot-up time!!!!

Note: Whups. Just saw that the video in the link I posted above comes from CNET. Must be a followup review. Please restrict my rant to the first wave of 3GS reviews...:D
    does it really matter in the end? Who cares what they people think.
    I have both right now. Will post later. Just got the 3g s.

I, too, wanted to see comparisons, and cnet's was stupid. They've already claimed at&t sucks in their building (see Molly's dropped calls rant). I'm more interested in wifi and network (where both get good signals).
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    does it really matter in the end? Who cares what they people think.
    sure it does. if the phone is disliked and not widely adopted, then there will be no support from third parties, and the first party will abandon it. i got on at the ground floor with the samsung instinct. now my 5 year old daughter uses it as her play phone.
    The Pre sure wont win any "let's show my friends photos" speed test.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    yup
    me thinks ATT will fail the 3GS
    Here is what I don't understand - why did every review slam the Pre with 'But its only on Sprint' - yet the fact that AT&T is crap never gets mentioned- and only has started to crop up. Yet will any review of the iPhone 3gS say - good phone, but AT&T's network is crud and its expensive.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I have both right now. Will post later. Just got the 3g s.

I, too, wanted to see comparisons, and cnet's was stupid. They've already claimed at&t sucks in their building (see Molly's dropped calls rant). I'm more interested in wifi and network (where both get good signals).
    Wow,
    looking forward to see your results.

Running on wifi would be best solution.
    Using Network for running these tests is opening can of worms.
    Too many parameters to take into account.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast